Return of the Homely Pilgrim

tooley1chris

Been awhile since I've really been active in this community. With the fall of my beloved Magic World I became disheartened and packed my bags for other adventures. For the last year or so (two years maybe?) I've been playing the new improved D&D 5th edition, which is SO much better than some previous editions IMO, but I still feel the same things nagging me. Level creep, early and weak end caps, ect... some things never change.

It's good to see some familiar faces are still active here. Some who have years if not decades of experience with the system. You know who you are :)

I've been toying with the idea of putting my energies back into BRP MW and maybe some of you good people can help me with a short cut.

What's everyone's opinions on the newer renditions of the system? Maybe some of you veterans can save me A LOT of catching up in the forums.

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 5

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

Welcome back! 

What exactly do you mean by "newer renditions?" The MW mainbook got a single revision to its PDF, but there's been no new printing, or did you mean newer renditions of other d100 systems? Anyway, it's good to see you back around these parts.

• Like 1

Yeah, rendition isn't the proper word more than...replacements? 

I don't know. I remember Classic Fantasy was getting revamped. Glorantha (sp). Rune Quest was redone? There was rumors of some older system getting redone, was it the Melbourn stuff? I don't remember...

Guess my question is did MW people make the move to a "supported" system or is MW still the shizzile?

I've been trying to think today what new MW project I might work on but I think I've tapped out additional resources for the game. Maybe make modules...?

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 1

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

32 minutes ago, tooley1chris said:

I don't know. I remember Classic Fantasy was getting revamped. Glorantha (sp). Rune Quest was redone? There was rumors of some older system getting redone, was it the Melbourn stuff? I don't remember...

Guess my question is did MW people make the move to a "supported" system or is MW still the shizzile?

I've been trying to think today what new MW project I might work on but I think I've tapped out additional resources for the game. Maybe make modules...?

I still play Magic World (and I worked like hell on my form-fillable character sheet, and an NPC generator that I just uploaded a month or so ago here in the downloads section if you want to give them a look).

Personally, I'm just about to start a new campaign adapting Gavin Norman's Dolmenwood setting to MW and I'm excited for it to begin in a few weeks. As for Classic Fantasy, it did indeed get released by The Design Mechanism, and it's pretty good from what I've read, plus they released several adventures for it. RuneQuest: Glorantha is in the process of being rolled out and the main rule-book and the bestiary are available; it's tailor-made to run games in Glorantha and doesn't seem like it's suited for any kind of homebrew game settings, but there's some interesting ideas in it.

With respect to modules, adventures, settings, I think they'd be appreciated by the people that still play Magic World, and it's always easy enough to convert stuff from one D100 system to another. Follow your bliss I say.

Edited by Nick J.
  • Like 1

I really like Classic Fantasy. I think it is a great meeting point of d100 and well, classic fantasy lol. 

But there is still a passion for Magic World.  I have the beginnings of an idea for a MW stream and was thinking about writing some short, very generic MW adventures. Plus a few other ideas I need to keep to myself at the moment.

As far as other games, I dare say my Q21 (based on D101's OpenQuest) has some MW in it.  The love for MW is still there. 

• Like 1

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

Heya Chris!

It's been a bit, for sure. Glad you dropped a word! Did you ever imagine you'd become something of a torch bearer? It's wild how the world turns. I remember back in '07 when the BGB was just a crazy idea, and I joined BRP Central...LOL! 🤯.

I suspect I'm like many of the old crew: I lurk a couple of forums pretty consistently but rarely contribute, finding I no longer have a lot in common. A bit ironic considering, but...shrug...that's the way of things. For example, even though I'm not a Gloranthaphile, I still checked out the RQ game forum until recently, but it's focus has gradually turned from the game itself to how it interfaces with the world it was designed for. I was reminded of that by a well-meaning poster who pointed out that the game and the world are too intertwined to keep the topics separate. I get it, and the Glorantha folk have waited a long time.

I GMed MW for a couple of small campaigns. I turned to tinkering with OQ like Sean_RDP and am now prepping to run my own mix of MW/OQ/Sunwolfe. LOL. I still refer to MW/SB resources a lot. 

Your work has ever been appreciated by those of us who still enjoy MW. It's always nice to see something interesting and easily adaptable, be it "new" 😉 supplements or adventures, NPC generators or fillable CS (thank you Nick_J!).

But for our own sanity remember: this ain't yer daddy's Chaosium anymore...there will be no Renaissance--though the possible alternate/mythical earth version of RQ Jason hinted at does sound interesting-- with that in mind, follow your creative heart, bro. If it sounds fun for you, and you're itching to do it, go for it!

Again, nice to hear from you 🙂

Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

16 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

I would say that OpenQuest is the leading contender for the "Quick and Simple, but not TOO simple" throne these days.  Alephtar's new "Revolution D100" is very tweak'able / configurable, and could probably hit a MW-ish sweetspot once you knew the RD100 rules well enough to set the knobs & dials appropriately (of course, the same is true of the existing BGB).

CF has moved to the Mythras/RQ6 engine over at TDM (derived from the MRQII/Legend mechanics).  They're going gangbusters on various Mythras lines over there.  For many, it's the favored flavor of BRP.  Free PDF of their intro ruleset is titled Mythras Imperative.  As a very-short ruleset, this too might merit consideration for the "Quick&Simple throne (albeit the game still uses Action Points and Combat Effects, so it isn't the "Simplest" of BRP's...) 

The '70/'80-era RQ2 reprint "RuneQuest Classic" edition is still finishing its last few Stretch Goals.

Brand new "Runequest" edition, yes.  Now With Runes!  Seriously, the most "Gloranthan" and "Runic" version of Runequest ever (the online-ism is "RQG").  A beautiful piece of work!  PDF on sale now, with full credit at Chaosium-store for the hardcovers when they ship (printed, on container-ships to distribution centers).  New Glorantha Bestiary is going to the printers.  GM Screen Pack with  3 adventures + Sandbox mini-setting is almost done (and a slipcase set of the RQG/Bestiary/GMPack is expected later this year).  GM Book and 50-Cult "Gods Book" are both VERY far-along, unclear which will be "next", and MANY more products a bit further downstream.

Mythic Iceland 2e is reportedly MS-complete and somewhere in the art-and-layout stages.  Chaosium has announced a "RuneQuest Fantasy Earth" product line (for which Mythic Iceland is presumably the first entry).

Just recently announced is an all-new SciFi flavored line of BRP/RQ game.

Um.  There's more stuff from All the Usual Suspects -- I haven't mentioned C&W, or any of d101's many fine products beyond the OQ core, CoC7 line, etc etc etc...

I think a lot of people would like a MW-engine entry in the Modern Urban Fantasy genre.  Real-world, 2010-2020 ish, plus the occult (n.b. NOT another Mythos entry (that's handled!), or horror-centric (too cthulhic) but full-on "Fantasy."   (Which reminds me - JSnead's After the Vampire Wars is also now over at TDM running on the Mythras engine).

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Thanks g33k!

i can't imagine porting MW over to another genre.... I think BGB and Cthulhu handles this wonderfully by itself. (And honestly BGB handles just about EVERYTHING wonderfully as is. IMO)

I dunno. Maybe I'll just move my game and attention to BGB... I still love MW but... if I'm not helping one I'm just hurting the other and that is NOT my intention. I've ALWAYS been about increasing Chaosium sales/attention, even when I don't think they are (No offense to staff) Gotta follow the $. I get it but it still hurts so bad, like Firefly getting cancelled ((WELL SORTA))  :) )

I am Curious if Chaosium has reached out to Lone Wolf at all for their character generator. I havent seen any action since Cthulhu way back when...

If you're not growing, you're dying.

Edited by tooley1chris

I had a buddy who started CF back in the day (yes 2 years ago) 

I wonder what he thinks of the new transition. (Feel free to message me) 

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE :) 

2 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

Thanks g33k!

i can't imagine porting MW over to another genre.... I think BGB and Cthulhu handles this wonderfully by itself. (And honestly BGB handles just about EVERYTHING wonderfully as is. IMO)

I dunno. Maybe I'll just move my game and attention to BGB... I still love MW but... if I'm not helping one I'm just hurting the other and that is NOT my intention. I've ALWAYS been about increasing Chaosium sales/attention, even when I don't think they are (No offense to staff) Gotta follow the $. I get it but it still hurts so bad, like Firefly getting cancelled ((WELL SORTA))  :) )

I am Curious if Chaosium has reached out to Lone Wolf at all for their character generator. I havent seen any action since Cthulhu way back when...

The BGB ain't exactly a priority for Chaosium either. But since the two games are so broadly compatible, I doubt there's any harm in putting your efforts into one vs another. For what it's worth, Chaosium seem to be pretty zeroed-in on RQG and CoC (which makes financial sense) and there's a couple of other things in the pipeline that seem to be moving away from generic systems towards games with tightly integrated settings and rules. Fan-support of MW or the BGB isn't going to hurt (or help) their bottom line, it's all about finding players who want to play in your games, and running whatever system clicks for you, whether it's old or new, supported or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Nick J. said:

The BGB ain't exactly a priority for Chaosium either. But since the two games are so broadly compatible, I doubt there's any harm in putting your efforts into one vs another. For what it's worth, Chaosium seem to be pretty zeroed-in on RQG and CoC (which makes financial sense) ...

I believe somebody said that RQG has had more sales in the month or so it's been available in PDF-only, than all hard- and soft-copies of MagicWorld across the entire lifespan of the product.

If these products are paying your own salary -- your rent/mortgage, your food on the table, your healthcare, etc -- which are you going to pursue?  🤔

36 minutes ago, Nick J. said:

... and there's a couple of other things in the pipeline that seem to be moving away from generic systems towards games with tightly integrated settings and rules. ..

IIRC, Chaosium said that "BRP" as a concept is planned to move forward as games with setting+rules integrated into each core-book, with rules tweaked per-setting.  So, Runes for RuneQuest, Sanity for Call of Cthulhu, Futhark&Seidr for Mythic Iceland, etc...  No "nuBGB" or other "generic" edition of the rules is currently planned.

This seems to be based, not on what fans SAY they want, but what they (we) buy... And apparently, we buy Chaosium's kick-ass setting-based RPGs more than we buy their more generic-y DIY-ish games.

As noted above, Mythic Iceland is coming, and "Runequest Fantasy Earth" is in early planning/development stages.

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

I am Curious if Chaosium has reached out to Lone Wolf at all for their character generator. I havent seen any action since Cthulhu way back when....

LoneWolf's HeroLab and AlterEgo's Metacreator both support CoC7 (the newest edition).  I believe that both have expressed (at least some) interest in supporting the new RQG edition; I don't know if anything is/has/will come of that "interest."

Chaosium has said they hope/intend to get FantasyGrounds and/or Roll20 support going, too.

4 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

Growing.  Chaosium is decidedly growing!

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

14 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

I get it but it still hurts so bad, like Firefly getting cancelled ((WELL SORTA))  :) )

This...just this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

15 hours ago, g33k said:

I believe somebody said that RQG has had more sales in the month or so it's been available in PDF-only, than all hard- and soft-copies of MagicWorld across the entire lifespan of the product.

If these products are paying your own salary -- your rent/mortgage, your food on the table, your healthcare, etc -- which are you going to pursue?  🤔

IIRC, Chaosium said that "BRP" as a concept is planned to move forward as games with setting+rules integrated into each core-book, with rules tweaked per-setting.  So, Runes for RuneQuest, Sanity for Call of Cthulhu, Futhark&Seidr for Mythic Iceland, etc...  No "nuBGB" or other "generic" edition of the rules is currently planned.

This seems to be based, not on what fans SAY they want, but what they (we) buy... And apparently, we buy Chaosium's kick-ass setting-based RPGs more than we buy their more generic-y DIY-ish games.

As noted above, Mythic Iceland is coming, and "Runequest Fantasy Earth" is in early planning/development stages.

I have no idea what you are replying to me for? @tooley1chris said he wasn't sure where he wanted to put his energy: BGB or MW. I said I didn't think it would matter to Chaosium's sales one way or another (and then explained Chaosium's current strategy, which doesn't criticize or question their strategy).

Edited by Nick J.

On 8/9/2018 at 10:05 PM, tooley1chris said:

Been awhile since I've really been active in this community. With the fall of my beloved Magic World I became disheartened and packed my bags for other adventures. For the last year or so (two years maybe?) I've been playing the new improved D&D 5th edition, which is SO much better than some previous editions IMO, but I still feel the same things nagging me. Level creep, early and weak end caps, ect... some things never change.

It's good to see some familiar faces are still active here. Some who have years if not decades of experience with the system. You know who you are :)

I've been toying with the idea of putting my energies back into BRP MW and maybe some of you good people can help me with a short cut.

What's everyone's opinions on the newer renditions of the system? Maybe some of you veterans can save me A LOT of catching up in the forums.

Hey Chris! Nice to see a comment from you! Just to let you know my group plays Magic World (a fantasy setting more than 2 years old now) and have also used it for pulp action and horror. My group doesn’t like real gritty games and Magic World is just the right level of abstraction. I have decided it doesn’t matter if Chaosium support MW as long as my copy holds up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

1 hour ago, Nick J. said:

I have no idea what you are replying to me for?

No offense or criticism of you was intended; I apologise if you took what I said as such!

I was just remarking in-thread, as follow-up to your remarks; I thought both of us were more or less addressing tooley1chris ?and any other interested parties who happened to drive by).

C'es ne pas un .sig

I have no idea on who is responding to who but I think that we can all agree that it's a great thing that BRP is out there.

Even though Elric!/Magic World is the superior rules set. 

No judgement though.

Edited by Chaot
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

70/420

6 hours ago, g33k said:

No offense or criticism of you was intended; I apologise if you took what I said as such!

I was just remarking in-thread, as follow-up to your remarks; I thought both of us were more or less addressing tooley1chris ?and any other interested parties who happened to drive by).

No worries, it just seemed like a reply to something I hadn't said or implied.

19 hours ago, Chaot said:

I have no idea on who is responding to who but I think that we can all agree that it's a great thing that BRP is out there.

Even though Elric!/Magic World is the superior rules set. 

No judgement though.

Yeah I'm still playing Elric! and that hasn't been supported for years. I have two copies, which helps to reduce wear. Plus I only play about once a month. 😥

• Like 4

I bought a second copy of Magic World for similar reasons... keeping a spare copy, just in case.
I don't feel any compunction to 'move on' when a game I like stops being supported by its publisher. Magic World sits in a really nice place for me, between Openquest and Mythras in complexity... and not tied to a specific setting... and I don't see anything coming along to replace it in the near future.
Though if someone were to write up more creatures, spells or an adventure for it, that would be great. As it is, it's not too much trouble at all to pull in stuff from other D100 games... or even from entirely different systems.

Edited by Simlasa
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

MORE CREATURES???????!!!!! :) 

I was actually looking through my fan-made MW books last night and found a Necronomicon of sorts, I made for one of my players wanting to play a necromancer type. 40+ pages of all the more vile spells from most of the other BRP-style books and some custom stuff. I almost put it in the downloads section until I remembered it had so many published (copyright) spells in it :) 

Not sure what my next project might be. I may redo Tindale since I lost it but man is that gonna be a pain.

I'd like to map out all the tagged towns in the Southern Reaches and make a giant Essentials guide but WOW what a project

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

MORE CREATURES???????!!!!! :)

I guess I'm thinking 'creatures' in conjunction with specific settings and adventures. The WW games I've run have been inspired by Lamentations of the Flame Princess and its quasi-historical 1600's Europe... so there's lots of room for unique creations resulting from witchcraft and science gone wrong... with echoes of dark fairy tales at the edges.
I'm also a fan of Fire on the Velvet Horizon... with its system-agnostic creatures that are adventures unto themselves. Things that are not there just to be lined up and hacked down.

Maybe some specific/named Fey beings, and their schemes in the Southern Reaches? More clockwork wonders of the dwarves? Maybe fleshing out one of the suggestions in the 'Adventure Locales' section?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Simlasa said:

quasi-historical 1600's Europe... so there's lots of room for unique creations resulting from witchcraft and science gone wrong... with echoes of dark fairy tales at the edges.

I have some notes on something I am calling Pike & Howl, the Thirty Years War as a backdrop for a plague of werewolves. It is a very dark period of European history. 

• Like 1

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

40 minutes ago, Sean_RDP said:

I have some notes on something I am calling Pike & Howl, the Thirty Years War as a backdrop for a plague of werewolves. It is a very dark period of European history. 

I have a rough outline of a short campaign set in England and the Caribbean in the 1680s to 1690's (straddling the Great Frost Fair, Monmouth's Rebellion, the death's of Henry Morgan and Christopher Monck and Port Royal in early 1690's...

Really must finish that some time... which I could say the same about a DOZEN different rough outlines and stray bits of notes I have... :D

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 2
  • Haha 2