How many mastered runes has a philosopher of the cult of Lankor Mhy

Aeric

Mastering runes for sorcery doesn’t require training, or teaching. 

5 hours ago, Joerg said:

If the LM cult doesn't teach those masteries (Fire/Earth, Spirit, Man)

you just have to achieve Union with your philosophy (make a dice roll and spend POW) see page 364.

3 hours ago, womble said:

I don't see anywhere that the LM cult doesn't teach those Runes; it only says what every Sorcery-trained Initiate is taught as standard and basic. 

The implication is that you need to be taught your first rune and technique, but there after you do it on your own. If you’ve enough PoW you can do it every season!

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

And yet the cult description talks about tutelage from literature and people for Runes and Techniques. Page 389:

Additional Runes and techniques can later be learned if an appropriate book can be found or if a teacher can be located and persuaded.

But there are no mentions I have found of how this teaching might work, or whether it's simply required for any learning at all (but then how did the first person to learn the Rune/Technique develop it...? I guess anything is possible via Hero Quest...) I half expect there to be additional information on this at a later date. I'd be inclined to have a look at the relative efficacies of being taught and working it out for yourself for skills, characteristics and other magical traditions and make a call for my table. 

4 hours ago, womble said:

And yet the cult description talks about tutelage from literature and people for Runes and Techniques. Page 389:

But there are no mentions I have found of how this teaching might work, or whether it's simply required for any learning at all (but then how did the first person to learn the Rune/Technique develop it...? I guess anything is possible via Hero Quest...) I half expect there to be additional information on this at a later date. I'd be inclined to have a look at the relative efficacies of being taught and working it out for yourself for skills, characteristics and other magical traditions and make a call for my table. 

These are the ritual Practices. Increase your rune as well and you can augment better with it.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 8/14/2018 at 4:17 PM, Joerg said:

If the LM cult doesn't teach those masteries (Fire/Earth, Spirit, Man), philosophers still might have access to them through their occupation if that occupation includes contact with non-cultist sorcerers...

If my LM can master Fire, then another LM can master it. Therefore I can probably learn it from another LM.

2 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

If my LM can master Fire, then another LM can master it. Therefore I can probably learn it from another LM.

Sure. But you might have to learn it outside of your library if the highest beards don't agree to teaching this even outside of the curriculum.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 minute ago, Joerg said:

Sure. But you might have to learn it outside of your library if the highest beards don't agree to teaching this even outside of the curriculum.

If they teach Enhance INT, I think it's reasonable that they would be willing (with suitable recompense) to teach the ability to cast it.

5 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Given that Lhankor's Lover was Elasa, the Light of Knowledge, these highest beards must be Atyari cultists.... 

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Fire in a library? What are you thinking?

You can cast Fire spells by mastering Air or Darkness. Air might be more common among Heortling LM scholars.

Anyway, on the original subject of the thread, I think they can learn a rune and a technique from their occupation, and Truth and Command separately from LM, so you can start as an LM being able to cast Enhance INT at x1 if you so wish.

Edited by PhilHibbs