Rules Clarification Question, Sleep, Attacks 100%+

10baseT

24 minutes ago, womble said:

...I don't know whether situational  bonuses are applied at the beginning or the end;

It has to be at the end. The situation might have changed by the time you actually get to attack, and if it were applied before the split, a negative modifier might make it impossible to have done a split of which you've already made the first attack.

6 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

It has to be at the end. The situation might have changed by the time you actually get to attack, and if it were applied before the split, a negative modifier might make it impossible to have done a split of which you've already made the first attack.

I believe it is supposed to be:

Declare how many attacks (split)

Apply modifiers (prone, unaware, etc)

Adjust for skills above 100%

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 9:05 PM, 10baseT said:

*The Sleep spell, does it affect vampires, or zombies for that matter?
(Checking the Bestiary, we couldn't find evidence either way)

RAW, I think it does affect them.

Sleep description:

If the caster overcomes the target’s POW, the target falls into a deep sleep for the duration of the spell. The target only awakens if injured or if a hostile spell is targeted on them.

However, as a GM I would house-rule that only creatures which naturally sleep can be affected by this spirit spell. That might include vampires, if they sleep during the day on Glorantha. Skimming over the entry in the Bestiary, it looks like that weakness isn't included (but I might have missed it), so I would personally rule that they are immune. (A lore explanation might be something like they no longer participate in the Man Rune or mortality in the right way to need to sleep, so the spirit spell can't add that bond due to their magical nature.)

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

11 hours ago, womble said:

Another way of looking at it is that you don't 'choose' to take [skill-100] off both your and your opponents' attacks; that's just a mechanism to reflect highly skilled opponents relative skillfulness without having to worry too often about 50% rates of special success... ;) Whereas you do make the choice to attack two opponents, thus dividing your attention and skill between them. So you divide first, then if there are any >100 vs >=100 skill oppositions going on, effective skills are modified accordingly.

It makes sense.

On 8/13/2018 at 4:05 AM, 10baseT said:

*Shadow Cat base rip attack damage, is it really 3d6?

On page 159 of the Bestiary, a Shadow Cat does base rip damage of 3d6  (+damage bonus). A Shadow Cat has an average SIZ of 3-4. A Sabre Tooth Tiger has a base rip damage of 2d8 (+damage bonus). Something isn't jiving i think. The base rip for a Shadow Cat is too high. (I understand it has an average damage bonus of -d4, but still, that base seems too high for a Shadow Cat rip).

No, I also think it is a typographie Error. Rip attack is used with two back legs so it's Double of Claw Damage...

Sabertooth Claw 1D8  become Rip 2D8

Shadow cat Claw 1D6 become Rip 2D6 (not 3D6...)

I have still found it in RQG Glorantha Bestiary Corrections Thread but you could report it as you found the error ! (and you'll have confirmation of this). Personally, I'm pretty sure of it because Shadow cats stats are the same in the AH Glorantha Bestiary (apart form bite which was 1D10.... a tad bit too generous

• Like 1