The big list of D100 settings

Runeblogger

In an effort to publicise a bit more all the D100 goodness out there, I published this post in my blog:

The big list of published settings for the D100 family of RPGs        ;)

The original list was done by André Jarosch, who published it on Facebook last March, but I'm adding and substracting many titles. 

Is there anything missing? Any setting is OK, as long as it is quite D100-compatible. For example, I erased Mythic Russia from the original list. I've read it's fairly easy to adapt to BRP, but HeroQuest is quite a different game even if you need to roll low with a D20 like in Pendragon. 
What about Trudvang Chronicles? Do you consider it should be in or out?

Any D100-compatible publication that includes at least some information about its setting is OK. For example, a D100-compatible adventure describing only a dungeon would not qualify, even if it includes information about the story of the dungeon. It should also include the means to build a character from that setting.

As you can see, I've added all the settings from publications available in Spain, so I'd be interested in knowing what publications in other countries have D100-compatible settings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

Swords of Cydoria is a great pulp/science fantasy setting, which was released as a monograph for Chaosium and later as a separate game called Exiled in Eris. You have others in your list which are no longer in print, so you should include Swords of Cydoria. I still play it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Questbird said:

Swords of Cydoria is a great pulp/science fantasy setting, which was released as a monograph for Chaosium and later as a separate game called Exiled in Eris. You have others in your list which are no longer in print, so you should include Swords of Cydoria. I still play it!

Thank you, Questbird, I've added it to the list. :-) Perhaps I'll mark wich ones are currently unavailable with an asterisk.

• Thanks 2

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

Nice list, well researched and well considered, as always.

Taxonomy of marginal items can be very useful – I can see what yes to Pendragon but no to HeroQuest. But what about Warhammer 1st and 2nd Editions? I think there is an argument that they have enough 1d100 mechanics to count.

1 hour ago, Zit said:

I haven't found the Ultimate Mongol Empire Guide for Legend, only for EGS and Savage Worlds. Where can I find it ?

I bought it from Drive Thru RPG. It's pretty good as a bare bones character generation and tactical book, but doesn't have a great deal in the way of fluff. But, there again, I always try to write a 40 page book that ends up between 200-300 pages, so I am biased to having lots of fluff in Alternate/Mythic Earth supplements.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

I bought it from Drive Thru RPG. It's pretty good as a bare bones character generation and tactical book, but doesn't have a great deal in the way of fluff. But, there again, I always try to write a 40 page book that ends up between 200-300 pages, so I am biased to having lots of fluff in Alternate/Mythic Earth supplements.

I couldn't find a Legend version of Ultimate Mongol Empire Guide on DrivethruRPG, just Savage Worlds and EGS.   Wind on the Steppes for BRP, is the only D100 supplement on Mongols that I know of.

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

In French :

-Les Arthuriades are a setting for Nephilim allowing players to play in a previous life in Arthur's Britain.

-Mousquetaires & Sorcellerie was a setting published in a magazine in which players were in a special order of mousquetaires in the 17th century, whose mission was to hunt down witches and supernatural phe.omenon 

-There was a second edition of Hawkmoon, based on Elric! Rules. In French only.

5 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

I couldn't find a Legend version of Ultimate Mongol Empire Guide on DrivethruRPG, just Savage Worlds and EGS.   

It has been taken off, for some reason. Maybe Mystical Throne Entertainment have stopped supporting Legend.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Thanks a lot everyone for your contributions / corrections.  ;)

I have added and corrected everything that I've read here so far. I have also added an asterisk at the end of the entries that are no longer in print (AFAIK).

I'm sure the list is far from complete though, so if you're interested I might post here when new entries are added.

11 hours ago, Gryphaea said:

Nice list, well researched and well considered, as always.

Taxonomy of marginal items can be very useful – I can see what yes to Pendragon but no to HeroQuest. But what about Warhammer 1st and 2nd Editions? I think there is an argument that they have enough 1d100 mechanics to count.

As for this... What do you say? I've never played the Warhammer RPG so how compatible is it with, say, OpenQuest? What was the basic roll like in those editions? 
I also still have doubts regarding The Trudvang Chronicles.

Well, I've added the DwD Studios titles like Barebones Fantasy and Covert Ops, and some more settings from an old Spanish publishing company.

15 hours ago, rsanford said:

Does Unknown Armies really qualify?

Good question. I think it does up to the second edition, since you have stats like STR (Body), INT (Mind), POD (Soul), and skills and D100 rolls with very interesting tweaks.
I'm not sure about the new 3rd edition, though. Has anyone played/run/read it already?

I've never played Unknown Armies or Warhammer, or even really delved into their rules... but my sense is that -- despite somewhat similar mechanics -- they are very-distantly related at most, and don't really share in the broadly-interoperable mechanics that characterize most of the RQ/BRP-derived family of games.

I -have- delved into the Eclipse Phase rules, and I wouldn't try to unite them with another BRP engine.  Different enough to need almost full conversion, similar enough to tempt shortcuts.

Other folks may have other opinions, of course!

C'es ne pas un .sig

Privateers and Gentlemen. By Jon Williams. Published 1982 by Fantasy Games Unlimited. Age of Fighting Sail (1755 - 1815).

I'ts a bit weak on detailed background info but does give details on trade, ships and ports from across the world.

• Thanks 1

Peter Brink

12 hours ago, peterb said:

If Harnmaster is considered a D100 system then Harnworld would qualify as a fantasy setting.

OK, I've been looking into HârnMaster and Warhammer Roleplay, and they're on the list now! ;)

In my opinion, they are similar enough to BRP that you could take f. ex. any RuneQuest supplement and play it with Warhammer or HarnMaster pretty much straight away (and viceversa, of course)!

I'm looking into other games now like Twilight 2000 (1st ed.), Kult and Mutant Chronicles. I've learnt these last two were based on Drakar och Demoner.

On the other hand, I may still erase The Trudvang Chronicles. What do you think?

• Confused 1

Rêve de Dragon is a french game that was heavily influenced by RuneQuest and James Bond 007. It was published in English under the name Reves, the dream Ouroboros.

In this game, characters live inside Dragon Dreams (hence the name), and are defined by a series of attributes that are clearly expanded from BRP : STR, CON, INT, SIZ, DEX, etc. but also MASs and PERception (which is it self divided into Taste, Sight, Hearing and Touch). POW is called REVe ( = Dream).

Skills have levels ranks from -10 to +10 (like AD&D Armor Class), with different base levels depending on skill difficulty (very hard skills start at -10, hard ones at -7, easy ones at -4 or -2). Chance of success are determined by multiplying an attribute by a factor depending on a skill rating : x0.5 for -9, x5 for 0, x10 for +10. Difficulty changes skill rating : an easy task can turn your +2 Climbing skill into a +7 one. Hopefully, a multiplication table is provided on the character sheet...

RdD uses RuneQuest's rule for success qualities : Critical on roll under 1/20th of Chances of success, and Specials under 1/5th.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

Kult and Mutant Chronicles. I've learnt these last two were based on Drakar och Demoner.

On the other hand, I may still erase The Trudvang Chronicles. What do you think?

Mutant  belonged to the BRP-family so it's setting should be a d100-setting. Later version drifted away from d100.

The original version of Kult was a BRP like game. Later versions less so.

IMHO, The game mechanics of Trudvang Chronicles are more like that of the CRPG Fallout. The setting Trudvang was originally written for use with Drakar och Demoner 6 which was a BRP like game (see link to info about DoD below). So I would say that Trudvang is a d100-setting even if Trudvang Chronicles aren't really a d100 game.

Ereb Altor was the original setting for Drakar och Demoner, so that is a d100-setting (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drakar_och_Demoner).

• Thanks 1

Peter Brink

There's also another Swedish game, "En Garde!" which has similar rules to Kult (mainly because the authors of En Garde also wrote parts of Kult). The setting is 17th century Europe. This game is not the same as En Garde by Paul Evans. 

The of course, we have "Western". It's clearly a BRP relative, even if you roll high as in Rolemaster. The setting is the American Wild West.

In fact, as a side note, most Swedish RPG:s are BRP related. Drakar och Demoner had the same position on the Swedish RPG market as Dungeons and Dragons had on the US market in the golden days of table-top RPGs, so it's only natural that BRP has inspired almost all Swedish roleplaying games.

• Like 1

Peter Brink

On 8/18/2018 at 2:32 PM, soltakss said:

It has been taken off, for some reason. Maybe Mystical Throne Entertainment have stopped supporting Legend.

Except all the other Legend books are there. So it must have been something about that particular book. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Two other games that were clearly influenced by RuneQuest are Légendes and Premières Légendes. Those are d20 roll-under and skill based games, and the latter is a simplified version of the former.

However, they also take many bits from other US games, especially FGU ones, and might not be close enough to BRP to be in this list. Among other things, they use Margin of success a lot.