Question about "Spell Trading" in RQG

creativehum

In the description of Spell Trading in RQG we find:

This spell allows the caster to trade one use of any Rune magic (except this one!) in exchange for one use of any Rune spell known by another priest of any cult.

This phrasing suggests the trade is made between two priests. 

Yet the spell seems to be available to Initiates of Issaries with no qualifier. Looking back at Cults of Prax I find that the spell is listed for Priest, not Initiates.

I assume this spell is reserved for Priests of the Cult?

I am specifically asking because in RQG the regenerated character Harmast has the spell, but he is an initiate.

Edited by creativehum
clarifying where where the quoted passage comes from

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

Nonetheless, in the quote from the text form RQG it state: "This spell allows the caster to trade one use of any Rune magic (except this one!) in exchange for one use of any Rune spell known by another priest of any cult."

I looked back to CoP for reference. But the description of Spell Trading in RQG seems to say the same thing.

Hence the question.

So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

27 minutes ago, creativehum said:

So, since the spell descriptions states this is a spell cast between priest, only priests can have it.

That's my read. And yours as well?

No there was a typo in my previous post that reversed my position entirely.

The cult lists and example characters say its available to initiates, I would go with that.

I think the use of priests in description is a hold over from the old spell descriptions which wasn't picked up and altered, probably needs jotting down in errata to be picked up.

Edited by Jon Hunter
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jon Hunter said:

The cult lists and example characters say its available to initiates, I would go with that.

Agree, an Issaries initiate can gain/use the spell.  The caveat though is this:  The trade must be done in an Issaries Market.  

Also, the person they can trade with seems to be variable. While the opening text indicates it is done with another priest of any cult, the subsequent text says:  other cults treat these transactions in various ways. All Lightbringers, for example, deal with their associate god of Issaries, but the Earth goddesses allow spell trades only if the High Priestess of the temple approves. The nomad gods (Storm Bull and Waha) require the High Priest to be present to negotiate.

So I'd say most cults (except other Lightbringers) limit the ability of their initiates to engage in trading away special cult magic.  Not that initiates couldn't do so, but likely they will face their Spirits of Reprisal if not blessed/approved by their priestess/priest.  Of course, your Trickster initiate will be happy to trade for lots of rune spells, no approval required. 😉

On 8/19/2018 at 12:04 PM, creativehum said:

So, since the spell descriptions states this is a spell cast between priest, only priests can have it.

That's my read. And yours as well?

No, it's simply sloppy cut and paste without editing.  @jajagappa is correct in identifying that different cults address it differently, no, the "priests" thing doesn't universally apply.

I understand the PDF is being updated with corrections over time.

Is it Chaosium's policy to publish a list of errata for the printed version so I could go mark it up if I wanted to? (Rather than constantly having to compare the book against the current PDF when reading the book.)

So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

1 hour ago, creativehum said:

I understand the PDF is being updated with corrections over time.

Is it Chaosium's policy to publish a list of errata for the printed version so I could go mark it up if I wanted to? (Rather than constantly having to compare the book against the current PDF when reading the book.)

I know that they'd taken a bunch of the crowd-edits into the text up until the printing cutoff, I believe.

After that, they had to get the book out.  I'd asked if subsequent edits have been maintained on an errata sheet but I don't believe I ever got a reply.

27 minutes ago, styopa said:

I know that they'd taken a bunch of the crowd-edits into the text up until the printing cutoff, I believe.

After that, they had to get the book out.  I'd asked if subsequent edits have been maintained on an errata sheet but I don't believe I ever got a reply.

Indeed, I expect they didn't take the time to compile a complete list of errata whilst getting the final print run ready, and that is understandable. I hope that further changes will all be released along with an errata document detailing all the changes. Since the tribal edit threads are locked, I don't think they have made any further changes to the PDF yet, they are working full time on the new books. Once the GM pack is off to the printers, I expect the threads will be re-opened and errata to start being compiled.

• Thanks 1