Anzugud

House Rules

What house rules are you guys using or are considering using?

So far, I've put in:

Only You Can Stop Unnecessary Dead Relatives - If your grandparent / parent survives to the character's full age (18) then you can get a +5% skill boost off them in any skill that their profession can do.

I'm considering:

Sorcerous Sorcery - Sorcerers can use their runes on the fly for double the MP cost of the spell. This allows for sorcery that is benefitted by quick thinking, as well as having their standard repertoire of spells to hand.

2 hours ago, Anzugud said:

Sorcerous Sorcery - Sorcerers can use their runes on the fly for double the MP cost of the spell. This allows for sorcery that is benefitted by quick thinking, as well as having their standard repertoire of spells to hand.

I don't understand this one!

Here's one:

My Cult Has Other Skills - the +15 and +20 elective cult skill bonuses can be assigned to cult skills that do not get a bonus, e.g. a Foundchild initiate can put their points into Devise, Hide, Survival, etc., and can be split down further, e.g. +15, +10, +10.

2 hours ago, Anzugud said:

I'm considering:

This looks to me like a "spontaneous magic" system.

While I haven't tried the new mechanics yet, I am expecting Sorcerors to already be bordering on overpowered; I'm not looking to give them more Kewl Powers until I've seen them in-play and/or enough other groups have reported on THEIR  in-play experiences, that I can know if Sorcerors are the sometime-problems I suspect...

10 minutes ago, David Scott said:

So far in my 12 week campaign - none. 

Hi David, 

I have no idea if this would be considered a house rule or not, but you've been playing for several months so I want to ask you.

Do you have any limits on the strength of Spirit Spells? That is either:

A limit on the Intensity of a spell (Bladesharp 4 is the highest Bladesharp that exists, for example)

A limit on how many Magic Points that can be used to boost a Spirit Spell (in other words, can someone boost Bladesharp 2 with 10 Magic Points or not)

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, creativehum said:

A limit on the Intensity of a spell (Bladesharp 4 is the highest Bladesharp that exists, for example)

No, there's no limit other than cost, available CHA and time to cast. Bladesharp 10 is going to cost 500l and take a whole round to cast. Your spirit magic is going to make you a one trick pony. 

4 minutes ago, creativehum said:

A limit on how many Magic Points that can be used to boost a Spirit Spell (in other words, can someone boost Bladesharp 2 with 10 Magic Points or not)

You can always boost offensive spells such as befuddle and disruption to get past countermagic for example. I can't see a reason to boost Bladesharp.

20 minutes ago, g33k said:

While I haven't tried the new mechanics yet, I am expecting Sorcerors to already be bordering on overpowered; I'm not looking to give them more Kewl Powers until I've seen them in-play and/or enough other groups have reported on THEIR  in-play experiences, that I can know if Sorcerors are the sometime-problems I suspect...

Our sorcerer was great. The player invented a lunar school called "The Shadow Path" - a death cult. He picked some spells that would fit in and we changed the names:

Detect life, Boon of Kargan Tor, Animate Dead, Command Undead, Identify Rune, Magic point enchantment

He mainly used Boon of Kargan Tor for himself and cast it for others (at a cost), He animated the bones of a dead mule to transport his gear (everyone thought that was cool) and he used Detect life to scout at night. Overall not overpowered, fitted in well with group, although as a philosopher was the best fighter! This was his only magic, no spirit magic. He sacrificed 3 POW for a huge sorcerous Magic Point Enchantment, which for sorcery rolls D10s and got 25 points, he had it as huge scar down his right arm. So he had plenty of mps for manipulation. He could at a push cast Boon of Kargan Tor at intensity 12 for +3D6 damage on his sword but for only for 5 mins. It took more thann a round to cast.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, David Scott said:

No, there's no limit other than cost, available CHA and time to cast. Bladesharp 10 is going to cost 500l and take a whole round to cast. Your spirit magic is going to make you a one trick pony. 

I made these same points on another forum, where someone assumed all the players would be running around with Bladesharp 10. I didn't understand his point of view, but wanted to check with you to see if it had happened in your group since it had been running for a while. Clearly not. Which is what I would have assumed.

You can always boost offensive spells such as befuddle and disruption to get past countermagic for example. I can't see a reason to boost Bladesharp.

I'm glad we had this conversation. I misunderstood the phrasing "per point of spell applied" in Bladesharp, assuming it meant the effectiveness of the spell could be boosted with additional points. (I suspect people with a history of playing RuneQuest are carrying in some clarifying ideas to the text of RQG. The notion of what Variable Spells are, how they work, and how they are defined is only clear to me now in this thread.)

To dig deeper for a moment:  Someone could Dispel, Dismiss, and Neutralize Magic on someone's Bladesharp, yes? If they cast magic points equal the intensity of the Bladesharp? So the only reason one might choose to boost Bladesharp is to make sure it is tougher to dispel. (I'm not saying boosting Bladesharp is a good idea. I'm trying to get a grasp of the rules and using this as an example.)

2 hours ago, David Scott said:

And finding someone able to both cast and teach Bladesharp 10.

Edited by Yelm's Light

5 minutes ago, Yelm's Light said:

Again, agreed. It's what I said to the guy on the other thread. At some point the GM is going to have to take responsibility for how his world works.

10 minutes ago, Yelm's Light said:

Where does the difficulty in finding someone to teach it come from? Mechanically there's no problem you just go to your temple if they teach it and pay. Or find a shaman. Are you implying that they need to know Bladesharp 10 rather than just Bladesharp. I cant find any prerequisite in these rules that says with variable spells that they need to know the level (unless you can point me to it). Otherwise we get into a loop of where does powerful spirit magic originate, the most powerful an ancestor can know is 7. 

2 hours ago, creativehum said:

To dig deeper for a moment:  Someone could Dispel, Dismiss, and Neutralize Magic on someone's Bladesharp, yes? If they cast magic points equal the intensity of the Bladesharp? So the only reason one might choose to boost Bladesharp is to make sure it is tougher to dispel. (I'm not saying boosting Bladesharp is a good idea. I'm trying to get a grasp of the rules and using this as an example.)

Yes, Dispel magic can do exactly that and yes that would be why you would boost it. However as GM that leads to mp escalation in a game as everyone starts boost everything to avoid it being dispelled. Mps get burned through quickly.

3 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Mps get burned through quickly.

Yes. It seems to me part of the run of the play (still don't know yet, running it for the first time in two weeks!) is those moments when everyone goes from being conservative to slightly conservative with the MPs to suddenly unloading fast as something shifts in the circumstances or tactics become clear.

Thanks again for the reply.

2 minutes ago, creativehum said:

Yes. It seems to me part of the run of the play (still don't know yet, running it for the first time in two weeks!) is those moments when everyone goes from being conservative to slightly conservative with the MPs to suddenly unloading fast as something shifts in the circumstances or tactics become clear.

Thanks again for the reply.

Magic Point and Rune Point expenditure rate is a huge part of play - and a big part of the reason a lot of things that people raise worries about in conversation don't tend to happen in play. Big spells with lots of magic points take forever to cast - and so people tend to cast lots of smaller spells. Rune Points are held like treasures - except when folk panic and then BAM! they all come out. Boy those newtlings sure had it coming. Too bad the Rune magic is expired by the time the Zorak Zoran show up....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeff said:

Magic Point and Rune Point expenditure rate is a huge part of play - and a big part of the reason a lot of things that people raise worries about in conversation don't tend to happen in play. Big spells with lots of magic points take forever to cast - and so people tend to cast lots of smaller spells. Rune Points are held like treasures - except when folk panic and then BAM! they all come out. Boy those newtlings sure had it coming. Too bad the Rune magic is expired by the time the Zorak Zoran show up....

I agree with all you have written. At least that's how I see it playing out.

The person I was talking about this with over at another site, however, was convinced length of casting didn't matter if you made sure to cast it before an ambush. All I could think was that Bladesharp 10 is this huge spell that uses up more than half of your Spirit Spell slots, last two-minutes, and takes 12 to 30 hours to replenish before you can use it again. I simply don't see that being a strategy that really works! If your PCs really are full control of the time and place of every fight I think the GM has fallen down on the job.

Final question: I think I read this, but I honestly don't want to dig into the rules and try to find again: Am I remembering correctly that if I have, say Bladesharp 4 I can cast it as Bladesharp 2 (thus saving 2 MPs and getting it of faster)? Or does one always cast at the full intensity of a spell?

Thanks!

Just now, creativehum said:

I agree with all you have written. At least that's how I see it playing out.

The person I was talking about this with over at another site, however, was convinced length of casting didn't matter if you made sure to cast it before an ambush. All I could think was that Bladesharp 10 is this huge spell that uses up more than half of your Spirit Spell slots, last two-minutes, and takes 12 to 30 hours to replenish before you can use it again. I simply don't see that being a strategy that really works! If your PCs really are full control of the time and place of every fight I think the GM has fallen down on the job.

Final question: I think I read this, but I honestly don't want to dig into the rules and try to find again: Am I remembering correctly that if I have, say Bladesharp 4 I can cast it as Bladesharp 2 (thus saving 2 MPs and getting it of faster)? Or does one always cast at the full intensity of a spell?

Thanks!

Well - they have learned rule number one: always ambush your foes.

Well, yes. Like Classic Traveller, if you're fighting fair you're doing it wrong. It is one of the appealing details about the RQ system as far as I'm concerned. It makes the fighting dangerous and encourages, if not forces, the Players to really dig into the circumstances and situations at hand imaginatively. 

But, of course, your enemies can try to ambush you!

Any info on this question: If I have Bladesharp 4 can cast it as Bladesharp 2 (thus saving 2 MPs and getting it of faster)? Or does one always cast at the full intensity of a spell?

Thanks!

Yeah, RuneQuest isn't D&D. If you're just running into fights then you're going to end up on crutches very fast.

4 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I don't understand this one!

3 hours ago, g33k said:

This looks to me like a "spontaneous magic" system.

Basically, sorcery is assumed to have mastery of the rune to the point where you're able to manipulate it, but the rules don't quite match up to that.

Let's say we have a situation where a flight of arrows is hurtling towards an individual. A sorceror could, say, COMBINE STASIS AIR to stop the air dead preventing the arrows from coming down, but for a lot of MP cost. It just allows flexibility for a system that feels very stale in the base rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Anzugud said:

Yeah, RuneQuest isn't D&D. If you're just running into fights then you're going to end up on crutches very fast.

Basically, sorcery is assumed to have mastery of the rune to the point where you're able to manipulate it, but the rules don't quite match up to that.

Let's say we have a situation where a flight of arrows is hurtling towards an individual. A sorceror could, say, COMBINE STASIS AIR to stop the air dead preventing the arrows from coming down, but for a lot of MP cost. It just allows flexibility for a system that feels very stale in the base rules.

Yeah, we played around with that early on in the sorcery design and rejected it. It was too spontaneous and too instantly flexible - as a result we did not feel it reflected Gloranthan sorcery at all. 

39 minutes ago, Anzugud said:

The system won’t support that even if dismissed by @Jeff 🙂

Sorcery is much slower than spirit magic or Rune magic. A sorcery spell takes one full melee round to cast, and takes effect on the DEX strike rank of the following round + 2 strike ranks per additional magic point used in the spell. 

There’s no speeding up magic, the more points, the longer it takes...

Sorcerer in my game - “they’ve got bows, I’ll stand at the back and cast boon of kargan Tor, when you break through I’ll be ready and they will all die.

1 hour ago, creativehum said:

Any info on this question: If I have Bladesharp 4 can cast it as Bladesharp 2 (thus saving 2 MPs and getting it of faster)? Or does one always cast at the full intensity of a spell?

It is the case in classic RQ at least.

2 hours ago, creativehum said:

Sticking to an RQG answer in an RQG thread,  page 248 says. 

An adventurer can know a powerful variable spell and cast a weaker version of that spell.

If someone is about to run RuneQuest Glorantha for the first time, it’s supportive to refer to the rules set they are using, and not muddy the issue by referring to an older rules set that may be different (although not in this case).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anzugud said:

I've been running since the QuickStart a year ago and have not added any house rules to date.  (Note: as I run PbP, the sessions get very drawn out so haven't had much "downtime" to evaluate that aspect yet).

8 hours ago, creativehum said:

I do not.

4 hours ago, creativehum said:

Yes, you can cast it at any level up to the level you know.  If you know Heal 6 (always useful), but only need Heal 2, you cast Heal 2.