The Open Seas ritual was a success...

MOB

807505892_ScreenShot2018-08-21at12_06_21am.png.4db1bf1bc3f220200b8ea5bd96814858.png

RuneQuest fans: the Open Seas ritual was a success and now great ships are upon the Oceans, bringing RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha to our shores:
—OOCL GENOA, heading for Longbeach: http://bit.ly/2MG2vrF
—CGM MARCO POLO, heading for Southhampton: http://bit.ly/2nQ9QqD
(and a third ship is said to have disappeared over the horizon* on its way to the Great Southern continent...)

*yes, although Glorantha is a flat lozenge, rather than a globe, it too has a horizon. Let Clement Longhair of the Nochet Lhankor Mhy Temple explain:

ON THE PROPERTIES OF THE ELEMENTS: HOW FAR CAN SOMEONE SEE ON THE OCEAN? 
As is well known Light, like Fire, is a manifestation of Aether and thus properly belongs in the Sky World. The elements always seeks their own proper level in the bubble that is Glorantha, thus light tends to curve upward slightly as it flits along at a great pace. This is why you see the top of a mast as a ship approaches, then the sails, then the body. Some crude drawings may make this more clear:

774876559_HORIZONIMAGE.jpg.cecc3afbfac6c29089f5d8ffcfa7c510.jpg

At this stage the light from the mast barely skims the waters, making the top visible, but the path that light from the sails would have to take intersects the ocean's surface and is absorbed by the hungry waters. A little thought reveals this to be the true explanation for the 'horizon' of seafarers and for why the tops of objects are seen first as a distant object approaches. Note also that an observer higher up may see farther, thus we have lookouts atop the masts of ships and observation towers (this phenomenon is seen on land as well but is less obvious.)

As for the counter-arguments by the ignorant, these rest on the principle that light travels in straight lines. Obviously this must be false, as we know that Light is but the subtle form of Fire, which, seeking its proper level, tends to rise. Thus it is insupportable that light should not curve upward in it path.

Objections of the Ignorant:

1. That Light descends from the Sun and Stars, invalidating my Claims.

I answer this as follows: beyond the Sky Dome is a Shining World. Of the Shining World's great Light, but a small Fraction descends to us along the paths pioneered by mighty Yelm and his lesser descendants and followers. The Will of these divine Beings is to send light to the mortal world, hence the light descends, against its Nature. However, it always yearns to return unto its true Home.

2. That El-Metal (Gold) falls Down toward the Earth with great Force, against the Tenets of my Theory.

I answer this as follows: Yelm's metal indeed falls down with great Force, but in the oldest records this is not so. In Godtime, before the Darkness, it was the Lightest of Metals and would even Leap and Dance about, from the Yearning of the Fire Within to return to the Sky World. See

1. , and lastly "The Sun Wheel Dancers" by Hector the Wise of Sun County for a compilation of the works of the Ancient Authors I have cited.

Only after the Sunslaying (familiar to all who love the Lightbringer Saga) did Gold become heavy and lifeless, seeking to join the Celestial Emperor in the Underworld. Thus through the actions of Great Orlanth did Gold become the heaviest of Metals.

[from the Nochet Collectanea XXIX. 344.88]

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Yelm's Light said:

So much for physics...

Why? The effect may be a little stronger than predicted by general relativity, but photons are attracted by masses, and beyond the Chaosium deep down under Glorantha there is the infinite mass of the Void. Maybe the correct answer is similar to the Copenhagen school about collapsing wave fronts when the uncertainty arc intersects with the distant surface.

I remember the discussions whether sight is the collection of light dispersed by objects, or a property of rays emerging from the observer's eye, augmented by light, that touch the objects in view. If you look at the Gods Wall, the rays of sight appear to emerge from the emperor's eyes and are dispersed over the four rows of attendants.

The main criticism about this model is of course that the flight of an arrow or a javelin - either a manifestation of light - has the inverse curve, but then people may argue that both arrow and javelin are made of fuel rather than flame, while sight clearly is an effect of flame, not fuel. Or something like that, there might be phlogiston and ether involved, too.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

14 hours ago, MOB said:

—OOCL GENOA, heading for Longbeach: http://bit.ly/2MG2vrF

Logistical queries:

Is Chaosium using Bang for fulfillment?

Are those books bound for the Bang HQ in MN?

That is:  for those of us closer to Longbeach, will the books ship from close-by?  Or are they going somewhere "central" before being distributed back to the west-coast / southwest / etc?

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 8/20/2018 at 7:34 PM, Joerg said:

Why? The effect may be a little stronger than predicted by general relativity, but photons are attracted by masses, and beyond the Chaosium deep down under Glorantha there is the infinite mass of the Void.

False

On 8/20/2018 at 7:41 PM, Yelm's Light said:

Technically, photons are attracted by gravitation, which is a function of the mass of the photons and all other masses within proximity.

Neither

Science : Light like a spear travel in straight line in space unaffected by nearby object and always follow the shortest path when interacting with substance. Mass create gravitation which deform the cubic space into a curved one, so the light will only flow the space curve and seems to be curve but it is not. This is relativity, the movement light is linear in view of space, the space is curved for exterior observer so the light seems to follow a curved path.

Glorantha : Like Greg T-Shirt, the color you see as being Greg is not the same color others people see....this relativity !!!

On 8/20/2018 at 7:50 PM, Richard S. said:

*Real world physics

Which, as has been said several times, don't apply to published Glorantha. Your GMV though.

With Relativity, Glorantha Physic is  a lot like Antiquity's one... it's base on factual observation and it still work with physic because
-
Glorantha : Light follow the Sun Dome curve on flat plane world
-
Earth : Light follow the flat path on a curve planet

In term of relativity, you just change the way you look to go from one to the others... relativity validate the two explanation as being the same : A Simple Topology Change !!!

I always preferred the alternative explanation, which was the Gloranthan creatures with eyesight actually project rays from out of their eyes into the light of the world ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emission_theory_(vision) ), and that these rays keep on trying to return up to the Sun or the Sun Dome is what means that the further away things are, the less distinct or clear they seem, and beyond a certain point there's a horizon past which you can't look.

On reflection, I think one reason why I prefer this one for Glorantha is that it opens up a better explanation why better sight skills % and farsee spells and so on could extend that field of vision by defining those ocular rays as being stronger in some than in others.

10 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

MJ, you're quoting wave theory, as I quoted particle theory.  One way or the other, either curving of space or the motion of particles is based on the aggregate gravitation of all nearby bodies.

Nope I didn't do this, FIRST, relativity work with either because in the two cases light have no mass. SECOND we don't oppose particule/wave since a hundred year thanks to DeBroglie and the "Wave–particle duality"... there is no two theory of light, just one (more complex)
Good theories, good words, wrong order : The  sequence of cause and consequence must be keep because I'll end up making a Sophism without knowing it. As a Zzaburi you must understand the Logic cannot be altered to prevent chaos spreading : "Mass Create Gravity, Gravity Deform the Space and Light Follow Space (Deformation) not mass nor gravity".

Read about solar eclipse of 29 May 1919 (or the drama...Einstein and Eddington, it seems to be an interesting one )

32 minutes ago, Steve said:

Am I missing something, or has the UK-bound ship really been stuck off the South of Sri Lanka for the past few days. Is it just mine that's not updating?

Same here. It is also stuck on Vessel Finder, but in that case it only has made it to near Malaysia! 

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/CMA-CGM-MARCO-POLO-IMO-9454436-MMSI-235095231

50 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Marco Polo has been docked in Algeciras, in the Bay of Gibraltar, for... 15 hours. Was it supposed to do that? Has the ritual failed, are our books scattered on the rocks?

According to the schedule, it leaves just after midnight, and arrives in Southampton in the small hours of Sunday morning.  So books soon!  Well, after customs and transport to the warehouse...

rolls patience check.  Fails miserably!

Have I missed something?

Are the RQG print books available for purchase? I can only see pdf versions on the Chaosium website

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"