Rules for Non-Lethal Damage & Knockouts?

Merudo

10 hours ago, Merudo said:

I'm surprised that the current edition of CoC doesn't have any rules for non-lethal damage & knockouts.

It would be nice to allow the PCs to capture cultists and other human enemies if they so wish, and conversely have cultists capture PCs...

BRP really has no rules to differentiate between lethal and less-lethal damage (there is no such thing as non-lethal; even a critical punch to the head can break someones neck, or shove a piece of nose bone into their head).

What I have done is simply look at the weapons. Weapons with fleshy or wooden striking surfaces, or specialty weapons such as blackjacks, are less-lethal. In general, these stun or subdue; requiring a CON x3 roll to resist. If the "damage" caused by these weapons would normally be considered a Major Wound, then it really is a Major Wound. This represents broken bones, smashed jaws, and the like. Something like a blackjack would be a KO. 

SDLeary

1 hour ago, KeeperXav said:

I'm surprised too since mine has these rules. P. 125. Knock-out Blows. An example is also provided 

Thank you - I had missed that section (it's in "optional combat rules")

However, it seems the knock out blows is too unrealistic and Hollywoodesque (knock-out blows only do 1 hitpoint of damage).  It also seems way too effective - a single punch can knock out a person with full hitpoints, which is effectively equivalent to a 1-hit kill.

You are taking a serious blow and purposefully softening it in order to knock them out. If you are trying to knock them out, the idea is to not do much physical harm. It's a cinematic approach.

This is the brick thrown at the head, and staggering to the ground, with birds chirping. Then they wake up later with a giant lump on the back of their head and blood matting their hair, and don't need a hospital to recover. 

If you are seeking more damage, chances are good they won't wake up.

Of course, BRP is a rules light system. It's not meant for tactical, highly detailed combat taking multiple factors into account. It is meant for abstracted narrative combat. If the rules don't work for you, use them as a baseline and modify, but clear any house rules with your players. If they can do it to a cultist, a cultist can do it to them as well.

Edited by KeeperXav
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KeeperXav said:

You are taking a serious blow and purposefully softening it in order to knock them out. If you are trying to knock them out, the idea is to not do much physical harm. It's a cinematic approach.

This is the brick thrown at the head, and staggering to the ground, with birds chirping. Then they wake up later with a giant lump on the back of their head and blood matting their hair, and don't need a hospital to recover. 

If you are seeking more damage, chances are good they won't wake up.

Of course, BRP is a rules light system. It's not meant for tactical, highly detailed combat taking multiple factors into account. It is meant for abstracted narrative combat. If the rules don't work for you, use them as a baseline and modify, but clear any house rules with your players. If they can do it to a cultist, a cultist can do it to them as well.

I get it. I just wish there was a in-between between "Bugs Bunny" knock-out rules and nothing.

• Like 2