Call of Cthulhu Starter Edition

MOB

DiceStormers.png.fba644e451d9004c1f37160868a91e07.png

Chaosium has teamed up with our friends the Dicestormers, who'll be playing their way through the Call of Cthulhu Starter Set, and giving away 10 copies as they go! 

Enter the competition here: https://gleam.io/C9Bvc/call-of-cthulhu-starter-set

The first adventure is Alone Against the Flames is a Single player experience, but the Dicestormer's Murray will be playing it via Facebook video on the Dicestormers Facebook Page, with the help of all of YOU... 

Winners will be notified at the end. 

The first episode starts tomorrow, good luck! 

• Like 3

The CALL OF CTHULHU STARTER SET Launch Party was a blast at Meeple Perk in Newcastle, UK.

Our assistant Call of Cthulhu line editor Lynne says the cake, by Beat Boutique Bakery, was amazing, and that FLGS Travelling Man wishes they'd bought more copies of the Starter Set because they sold out!

794184226_ImagefromiOS(13).thumb.jpg.b0b1a12d13df4fb886d06fc2af03370d.jpg

291446958_ImagefromiOS(11).thumb.jpg.b3ef1cf959ba12a0a48d4a218a39924a.jpg

1899479306_ImagefromiOS(15).thumb.jpg.6bf343abada54c88dcdfeffe9b996964.jpg

303795174_ImagefromiOS(14).thumb.jpg.1baa09ea42a92cbabb22e943b718cd3c.jpg

• Like 2

Episode 2 of Dicestormers CALL OF CTHULHU STARTER SET actual play on Facebook. 10 copies of the Starter Set to be won by viewers!

Watch the video on Facebook, and then:
1) Vote in the poll at the end of the video (must be on a desktop browser)
2) Put your suggestions for personal skills in the FB comments and
3) Enter the competition at the link!

• Like 1

RPGNet says, of the CALL OF CTHULHU STARTER SET: "this is a magnificent, perfect entry-level product. And no, this isn't misplaced nostalgia about boxed sets of yore. This is exactly how a new entrant should get access into a game as rich and elaborate...Tons of material. Easy to use rules. Dice. A low level price. What more does one want from a starter set?"
(Antonios S. review)
https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/17/17914.phtml

• Like 4

I got this recently and I'm totally new to running a CoC game. I have to say this is a great resource! I already had the Keeper rulebook and the Investigator Handbook, but the starter set really sets things in place. I like that you start off with a solo adventure, then read the quick start rules, then run a one-player scenario. Really well thought out!

I'm looking forward to introducing new players to CoC and running adventures.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just a follow up for @MOB and the Chaosium crew. I'm soon gonna be ready to run Edge of Darkness for my group. I ran Paper Chase with my daughter and it went ok. Good learning curve there. I am a somewhat experienced GM, a bit out of practice perhaps, but mostly I GM'd fantasy stuff (AD&D and the like) and this investigative stuff if another beast. I realized I need to adapt to it a bit (and prepare more), so that first one-on-one scenario was perfect for that. It made me prepare much more for EoD, and I'm having lots of fun with that.

So, I'm having fun, this is a great product, and I look forward to running a first group game of Call of Cthulhu!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

"When they say this is all you need to enjoy horror roleplaying they certainly aren’t kidding… I can’t stress enough how every person who loves RPGs should have this in their collection."
—The Vintage RPG Podcast unbox the new CALL OF CTHULHU STARTER SET.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am not really a DIY person, so has someone an idea how to make these booklets (most importantly the adventures) "hardcover"? The 80 page booklet is really hard to hold, I'm afraid it will tear if I hold it wrong. Something that would make them more sturdy. 

Without trying to sound unsympathetic, we designed the starter set for use at the gaming table, and at a price point that was attractive to newcomers and those curious about the system but sensitive to how much they were willing to spend to try a new game. I love hardcover books. I love the chaosium silk bookmark ribbon that is now standard. I like to put on my Fez and read a book in my comfy armchair. The box set was meant to be used at a gaming table, dice at the ready, to get new players keen to go insane before getting killed by a monstrosity beyond their understanding.

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

6 hours ago, stadi said:

I am not really a sitting at the table while reading person, I like to do it on the couch. I really like the content though, so it's a shame for this to stay in the box. I probably should look for something like this, without the red corners: https://www.amazon.de/Herlitz-50014743-Buchhülle-cover-Stück/dp/B079CDJS2J

The link you provided looks like it answers your need.  Perhaps red corners are an acceptable compromise for being able to read on the couch the way you want?

You could also have a look at Chessex Dragonskin covers.

Having used Book 3 to run games at various RPG stores, I've been manhandling it during play and when reading it in preparation for games. I often bend the pages back when running too.  And, have to say, the book is holding up really well despite being a softcover - no pages falling out, no real damage, and so on. In my line of work I tend to be hard on books, as I use them to play.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand that for this amount of money you can't make it hardcover, and that a starter set needs to be cheap. (On the other hand, I would probably buy these as a hardcover for more if you'd released it, in this form, or combined with other things).

I asked this because I wanted to know whether others already did something with it.