Have Now Worked Throw a Full Test Year of Play

Furry Fella

As the title says that has now been completed so some thoughts and initial conclusions. - Please note this will be in several sections and edits. It's peak work time for me so opportunities for this are limited.

1. The concepts and most of the structure - Brilliant. Even better than my rose tinted historic view of why I so enjoyed RQ 30 years ago.

2. The mechanisms mostly strongly positive.

a) The quality of success is something I've long believed in and as a group we tried (mostly successfully) some years ago. Unfortunately reading it and playing it returned me to just why we never wrote it as more than a structured principle. Too wordy, convoluted and overly complex or in need of multiple extra drafts to refine and make less cumbersome (as in " My apologies for the length of this letter for I have not the time to write a shorter one" Bismark to Von Molkte)

b) Love the remake and importance of Runes - problem I have is how easily missed bit the vital bit on page 51 is.

A value of 80% or more in any Rune indicates that your
adventurer is strongly tied to the Rune
. The Rune may affect
your own control over your adventurer; their actions may
be determined by the Rune and contrary to your wishes.

Agree with the concept and think I will look to phase it in over a range though.

Missing this is too easy. Especially as the Guide Story "Vasana's Saga over plays this on page 228 as her death rune was taken as 75% and not altered.  Some parts of this are still giving me problems. For example a Dka Fal Shaman as overtly civilised because of their Man Rune. The Beast / Man  Rune dichotomy looks good but is one that the results quirks jar.

c) Like the change to Spirit Combat particularly. This and the changes to the magic and enchantments affecting spirit combat and interactions actually address (well so far - grin) ALL the concerns and reservations I had from RQ2

d) The first of the things that caused 2 to be mostly. The die roll minus for experience and training etc - simply put Just No. Basically loathed the whole mechanism in RQ3 and this is barely better. That an experience increase roll or other hoop must be jumped through to get a Zero result - Lead Balloon territory totally. I'm not all that happy with the simple low linear die role especially given the drastic reduction in "availability". However the time passage is for a separate installment of this ramble.

Thus a break in installment 1

Edited by Furry Fella
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Furry Fella said:

The die roll minus for experience and training etc - simply put Just No.

The experience roll is +1d6 or take an automatic +3%.  There is no minus.  (p.415)

Training has the 1d6-1 or take an automatic +2%. (p.416)  I never minded that there was a chance you wouldn't learn from training.

Research has the most downside at 1d6-2 or an automatic +1% (p.417).  Again, I never minded this, but if I wanted to avoid a -1% option, would probably house rule to 1d4-1 as it just shouldn't be as advantageous as experience.

• Like 2