Sanity award for killing Mythos creatures?

Merudo

Seth Skorkowsky, in one of his videos, clearly states that "killing a Mythos monster rewards sanity back at the same amount that it was lost". He gave the example of a ghoul, which according to him awards the investigators 1d6 sanity once killed.

I checked the rules myself, and could not find any rule of the sort in the rulebook.  At most I found this passage:

At the end of a successful scenario or campaign chapter, Keepers may specify dice rolls to increase investigators’ current Sanity points. [...] Such rewards should be proportional to the danger the group faced

However, there is nothing in the book stating that killing Mythos monsters always give sanity back at the same rate it is lost - in any case, such awards should be given only at the end of the adventure. For published adventures, I believe it would go against the intent of the writers to hand out additional sanity for killing monsters unless such award was specifically written down in the scenario.

It seems Seth Skorkowsky is mistakenly believing his house rule is found in the handbook, while it isn't. Am I right or did I miss a rule somewhere in one of the books?

Edited by Merudo
  • Like 1

This is a bizarre omission new to the latest edition, as it has been there at least since third edition CoC (haven't dug out my earlier eds). It's such a fundamental part of the rules I can't believe it was left out of the new edition. Maybe the designers figured their other new methods of regaining lost sanity would make up for leaving out this long-standing rule.

In terms of game mechanics its probably essential to win back some sanity somehow, if you want to reuse the same adventurers in future scenarios, but the original stories had very few cases of people who survived mythos encounters escaping unscathed, many of the survivors were troubled by hideous nightmares or worse. If you pick up mythos skill in an adventure perhaps you should be less generous about also picking up sanity. After all, whatever you kill, increased mythos skill means you have become more aware that the world is a dangerous place full of unspeakable horrors against which humanity has very few defences.