Why are INT and SIZ above normal?

mhensley

Actually I thought the whole point of RQ and BRP was that you were playing an ordinary guy who becomes a hero. If you want out of the ordinary from the start go play D&D or Vampire or Mage or some such.

It's badwrongfun to want to play someone in BRP who starts above average?:shocked: Sometimes I like to do just that: start with a veteran or someone who's a notch above average (but still realistic) and BRP does that extremely well. Why would I want to go play a system or genre that I don't like just to get that, when BRP handles it so well to begin with?

Actually I thought the whole point of RQ and BRP was that you were playing an ordinary guy who becomes a hero.

I thought the whole point of RQ and BRP was that you can do with it what-

ever you and your group of players like. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

It's badwrongfun to want to play someone in BRP who starts above average?:shocked: Sometimes I like to do just that: start with a veteran or someone who's a notch above average (but still realistic) and BRP does that extremely well. Why would I want to go play a system or genre that I don't like just to get that, when BRP handles it so well to begin with?

I feel that there is a difference between stats and skills in this respect.

Great! play a vet who is older and wiser Ive nothing against it, but it's still a pay off, at least in my eyes. but that is very different from maxi stats which have no draw back.

Anyway most of my favorite RP experiences have been when I'm low level, the rest tend to be just penis size bragging and that includes most all the role-players I've met.

Actually I thought the whole point of RQ and BRP was that you were playing an ordinary guy who becomes a hero. If you want out of the ordinary from the start go play D&D or Vampire or Mage or some such.

For RQ, especially in Glorantha, this was the idea. But several other Chaosium games didn't work that way.

A lot of this comes down to gamers' preferences and styles of play. Case in point, those who are fond of the ElLric! RPG are happy that so much of it was used for the BRP rules. On the other hand, those who are not fond of teh Elric! RPG are not as happy that so much of it was used for the BRP rules. With all the differernt varaitons of the "Chaosium House System" that were relased over the years (RQ2, RQ3, Stormmbringer, CoC, Elric!, Ringworld, Superworld, orginal BRP), there is just no way to please everyone all the time.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

That may or not be the case with RQ and some BRP games but Elric! is a game cut in the heroic mould.

Out of the ordinary is in the eye of the beholder ( forgive the D&D pun). Runequest has the possibility that you can start play as a duck! Hardly an ordinary water fowl but an "uplifted" duck, superior to normal everyday water fowls! Plus, how many ordinary guys start play with a plethora of spells like in RQ? These characters aren't the bearkiller guy from the BRP pamphlet.

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

Anyway most of my favorite RP experiences have been when I'm low level, the rest tend to be just penis size bragging and that includes most all the role-players I've met.

There's a definite sweet spot with RQ games where the Characters are skilled enough to avoid a Clouseauesque comedy errors in combat but also short of being almost guaranteed a success (or a Special success) on every roll. (I have much less experience with Level-based games but is suspect that the same is also true there)

I have been cornered by very dull people droning on with an adenoidal whine about their WereRat Magus Harley-Davidson Rider or Dreamlands Investigator with 02 SAN because of all of the pacts and Mythos knowledge they have or their Level 20 Paladin/Assassin/Magic-user Beholder with seven 18s or their Dr ManHattan-Wolverine clone.

But there is also a genitalia-size boasting trap from the low-powered-games-really-make-you-suffer-for-your-art-and-marks-a-REAL-roleplayer crowd.

WTF any of the above has to do with the original post is beyond me but this place is cheaper than professional therapy.

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

This is a very narrow view of the range of things BRP is intended to (and has always been) used for. There have been plenty of BRP games designed to be used with anything but everyman heroes.

That may or not be the case with RQ and some BRP games but Elric! is a game cut in the heroic mould.

But it shouold have been cut in the anti-heroic mold. That is what made the Elric saga special.

WTF any of the above has to do with the original post is beyond me but this place is cheaper than professional therapy.

Al

Connecting the dots...:confused:

The original post mentioned the surprise that PCs got 2d6+6 INT and SIZ whille everyone else rolled 3d6. In fact, Elric is about the only BRP deriative where PCs and NPCs roll differently for INT and SIZ. In most other BRP based games, all (human) characters roll the same for attributes. :)

This lead to explaining that, plus some comments as to if/why this is better or worse than the way other BRP games handle character attributes. So the orginal post is kinda based on a flawed premise.:D

Where or not this place is cheaper than therapy depends on what price you place on your SANity.

There are other ways to "pay" besides money,and sometimes this place can make you pay, and pay, and pay :eek:

But it should have been cut in the anti-heroic mold. That is what made the Elric saga special.

Heroic, anti-heroic, its all the same thing. Mighty feats and epic battles. Moorcock's Elric is both heroic and anti-heroic in different situations. Trying to differentiate sometimes leaves a hair splitting taste in the mouth.:ohwell:

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)