Real-World Chronology of Glorantha Concepts

MHanretty

On 10/7/2018 at 6:43 PM, Joerg said:

A couple of years ago Fabian Küchler (chief organizer of the Tentacles conventions and now the Kraken, and editor of many a fund raiser)  came up with what was essentially a Patreon to get Greg Stafford back on his keyboard to write a Gloranthan novel. The result was (at least) the first part of "Ten Women Well Loved", telling the adventures of Harmast Barefoot from his adoption to the Hendriki tribe until his misadventures in Nochet when the Grandmothers recognized his slightly modified Berennethtelli tattoos as Kodigvari. This was significantly after Morden Defends the Camp.

From what I have seen of other such material, these starts are quite frequent in Greg's unpublished opus, and some of these have since been presented as mood pieces, like e.g. "Aftal the Waertagi" in Missing Lands. I would appreciate seeing a collection of these unfinished texts in print.

Speaking for myself, I found that writing a short mood piece in prose often gives me a better idea of a character, group or setting than giving a gazetteer-like sandbox, for less effort. Most we know about Talastar comes from Paulis Longvale's travelogue, and without Biturian Varosh we would know a lot less about Prax and Praxians. 

All of this is new to me. Is there a way to read any of this material? Did Fabian give up on trying to get a full novel out of Greg?

And Jeff Richard has talked about writing his own Harmast novel, too (going by the thread on future products)? I am beginning to find it hard to believe that many of these fiction projects will be completed in the next 5 years, though I’d be thrilled to be proven wrong. I really liked Morden Defends the Camp, which I read for the first time last week on the Glorantha.com site. And it didn’t take me long to read Prince of Sartar to the end of its available chapters.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 5:46 AM, MHanretty said:

Alternatively, maybe I should take Greg’s The Birth of Elmal more literally and just accept Elmal as a logical and necessary myth for the Orlanthi? After all, what culture, historical or fictitious, has ever truly hated a life-giving sun?

Bah!  If you live for 95% of your time under 100% cloud cover you many never even see the Sun when it sets, and when you do, you will just be annoyed by the glare on the horizon that hurts your eyes.  Life giving you say?  Go live in Bergen in Norway for a year and you will begin to think the Sun is silly fable for children. :)

Edited by Darius West
  • Haha 1

Well, living in Scotland means the Sun often feels like an absentee father - particularly now the clocks have gone back an hour.

It’s an odd thing to revisit this thread, given  that it started before Greg’s passing. I would still desperately like to see Harmast’s Saga realised at some point but I wonder if it is more likely that something akin to The History of Middle Earth is a more realistic way of chronicling Greg’s unfinished works.

• Thanks 1