Do you use figures in RQ Poll

David Scott

Miniatures in RuneQuest  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use miniatures when using RuneQuest rules (any version)?

• yes
    • No
  2. 2. If Yes then what scale do you use

• 28ish mm
    • 15mm
    • Other, including Lego, and abstract markers.
  3. 3. Do you use a "Battle mat"

• No
    • Yes, hexes
    • Yes, squares
    • Yes, terrain only
    • Yes, blank

A spin off from a comment in a discussion.

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/8184-facing-and-positioning-in-rqg-combat/?tab=comments#comment-116247

Edited by David Scott

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

For question 1, you need more options like 'sometimes' or 'depends on game mode' (e.g. I would for face-to-face but not PbP). 🙂

I used miniatures when I ran RQ3 face-to-face years ago (think they were mostly 25mm at the time).  IIRC, I had either blank sheets with a grid or some erasable marker sheet that I used to mark up for the layout.

Also used miniatures (28mm) when running Star Wars RPG with my son.  For those I had various battle mats, usually squares.

For PbP, there are no miniatures, but I'll design maps (without any grids) to indicate generally positioning and terrain. 

Unfortunately, it's been years since I had a F-t-F RQ game. Using Discord and G+ Hangouts does not lend itself well to miniature play, but I did try to keep track of positioning when I ran RQ2 & RQ3 online in the last several years. When I start my RQG game, I'll expect I'll do the same. 

I have a large selection of RQ figures, dating back to the Ral Partha days. Were I to play F-t-F again, I would whip them out in a heartbeat. 

"It is not reasonable to assume Aristotle knew the Number of the Elect..." - Albertus Magnus

We haven't for a long time, but our new campaign will use figures, due to popular demand.

We don't use a battle map, though, and our positioning is very rough and ready. We certainly don't bother with facing and quarter-turns, or anything like that, as we assume the PCs and NPCs are always moving around and not stuck in rigid robotic positions.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I use miniatures in all my rpg gaming. But I'm pretty strict about using 25mm. "28-ish" equaling "25-32" doesn't work for me at all, I hate scale-creep and will continue to use my vast collection of 25's. Happy to consider the purchase of new 25's. I voted "Other."

• Haha 1

Yesterday, running my first game of RQG I used wooden, 1"x1" chits with Runes drawn on them representing the adventurers, the rock lizards they fought and so on. We played on a hex battle mat.

So, no miniatures, but we counted out measurement for movement, range of spells, positioning of who was engaged with who and so on.

Miniatures are great! But costly, time intensive, and limited (a troll is a troll is a troll.) I've decided using removable stickers on wooden chits for maneuvering and combat will be the way to go for me.

Edited by creativehum
  • Like 1

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

4 hours ago, jongjom said:

Will anyone answer Q.2 with 'Other' with the thought of using the Gods War bigatures?

Addendum: obviously only some of the figures, otherwise I imagine the scenario would quickly descend into a TPK. 

I’ve used large plastic figure in HeroQuests, so I can’t wait for gods war the come through. I played out the final fight between Great Newt and Lizard mother from the Rainbow mounds with giant modified dinosaur and crocodile. The players were 15mm so looked great. In another game, one of the players fought Thed hand to hand by heroforming Storm Bull, I could have done with gods war then. 

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

9 hours ago, jongjom said:

Will anyone answer Q.2 with 'Other' with the thought of using the Gods War bigatures?

Addendum: obviously only some of the figures, otherwise I imagine the scenario would quickly descend into a TPK. 

Nah.  I use an ... eclectic...collection of figures from my history of gaming, old Ral Partha/Grenadier D&D lead minis from the 70s and 80s, to pokemon figures, to 'bucket o' monsters https://www.amazon.com/SCS-Direct-Monster-Action-Figure/dp/B00W5WSN5A - the scale is off, but they're great for fighting masses of giants.

The whole point is just to keep track of location and facing.  We only throw down the minis when it's likely to matter, maybe half the combats.

I love miniatures and prefer battlemaps to theater of the mind for most RPGs.  I play more online though.

The last time I played RQ was a few years ago and we did use minis.  I forget what we did for flanking, probably tried to follow RQ6 as written.

These days my RPG army consists of 
1. Pathfinder/D&D prepainted minis for PCs.  They're cheap-ish and rugged enough to jumble together in a box.
2. Numbered tokens for NPCs.  Pictured are 20x27mm wooden cylinders with 15mm stickers, both from spielmaterial.de.  I'd like to replace them with rectangular blocks that can be laid down without rolling.
20180902-miniatures-box.jpg.eb614627e5bf29196ae2a5502a46357e.jpg
3. A small set of 25mm minis from many years ago.  I plan to keep it small because of cost, the time to paint them, and the inconvenience of storing them.  On the other hand I recently ordered a Hero Forge mini for an IRL game and as a consequence I've just started to get into painting again.

I like how Glorantha miniatures have been trickling out lately although it's hard to imagine that I'll ever buy many.  I tried to get one of the freebie Arachne Solaras from Gods War as a display piece and that didn't work out, but I could maybe see buying one as a luxury.  (In general the very small number of knick knacks in my life is quite enough.)  And blackyinkin's trolls look great but if I ever wanted trolls for Glorantha, it'd be Games Workshop Orcs 10 times out of 10 - I love the way they look and I'd probably paint them green, too!

What really happened?  The only way to discover that is to experience it yourself.

8 minutes ago, Dragonsnail said:

I find it interesting that so many use miniatures, I wouldn't have thought it was so popular.

That’s why I did the poll, although the sample is only those who have accounts on this site and is likely not completely representative.

• Like 1

-----

I find adding minis and keeping track of all the odd tactical movement is fun. Extra decisions to make. 100% valid that others don't feel the same way. A lot of my first games were the old GBA Fire Emblem and Advance Wars games before I discovered tabletop, where positioning mattered a lot. Plus board games like Stratego and chess. Most of the people I've played RQ/D&D/etc with have a similar history, or at least are also wargamers (at least 3 of us in my current group have an active interest in Warhammer 40k).

I didn't even realize until these threads that RQG dropped RQ3's tactics and facing rules. But it's easy enough to re-introduce the parts I like and leave out the parts I don't.

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

I don't think it's a surprise at all. Early RPGs (and RQ was a pioneer), derive straight from miniatures wargaming, and the detailed, quasi-blow-by-blow of RQ combat has always been more encouraging of detailed representation. The erm, broader brushes of the early 21st Century versions probably less so, but with the renaissance of v2 and the wholesale import of v2 and v3 concepts into RQG, the demographic is going to be harking back to those Chainmail-successor games.