Hit Locations

RosenMcStern

Ashigaru.png.63040d49f1c270102672dc032f3172e0.png

In an attempt to make things clearer and simpler, I am considering a rule change for all upcoming supplements and editions of Revolution D100. Basically, I wish to ditch the information about the die to roll for hit locations and let the players choose it, and replace the “alternate die” for missiles with an extension of the “+2 to coverage” rule that reduces the number of things to remember.

In this way, each group is free to choose between using a d20-based hit location table imported from another game (RQG or Mythras being the most likely candidates), or just using a “location die” of those available from dice resellers. Or a plain d6 for a human.

When the attack is a ranged one, instead of rolling a different die with 2 more faces, players who desire extra realism can simply modify the +2 rule already used for armour: a coverage roll of 8 or 9, which translates to more than 9, means that no location roll is necessary and “body” or its equivalent is assumed, with the hardest armour protecting. If the target is in cover, “head” is selected instead. The extra chance to hit the body is close to that of a 7-8 on d8, so this rule leaves game balance unchanged while eliminating clutter.

As you can see in the example above, the new standard for character statblocks will superimpose location information on a picture or silhouette of the character. This will help us convey the message that “this game supports hit locations, but they are an improvement for those who love detail, not a necessity”. The die roll corresponding to the hit location will not be included unless the stats are for a creature with a non-standard number of locations.

Please note that the fact that minor wounds in Revolution are non-cumulative makes book-keeping unnecessary for all minor damage, and virtually eliminates the need for separate damage tracks for each hit location. A single track for major wounds is enough: if you use localized damage, just write down “1 to RL” instead of “1” and you are ok. More than two major wounds to the same character are extremely rare, and not worth the clutter that hit location tracks represents for a character sheet.

Please note also that it is not possible to use the unit die for hit location in Rd100, as Aquelarre does, as a low unit die increases the chances of a critical. Using it for hit locations would make critical damage more likely to occur in some locations, and completely absent from others.

Comments welcome.

• Like 2

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

I'm frankly not sure this is necessary. The current rule is not complicated, and if you want to propose the hit location as a possible option, you have to give a rule and not expect from the reader to find it somewhere else. Or do you intend to ditch the full localised damage rule ?

Using 2 different dice for close or ranged combat is IMHO very easy as well. I'm not sure your proposal to use the +2 rule instead will make things simpler.

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

My main concern here is not the procedure with which you evaluate where you hit the other guy when hitting from afar, which is not complicate in either way. The point is keeping statistics concise and reducing the time and surface necessary for the GM to write down a simple non-player character. And from this point of view, the two methods are not equivalent. Compare the statistics above with the statblock provided in existing Rd100 publications. This one is neater, and it is less intimidating in this age of extreme simplification.

• 2 weeks later...

Revolution D100 uses the Legend (MRQ2) combat model, in which you do not choose the desired effects before rolling, but after. If your roll is eligible for a called shot (any hit in melee, a critical from afar) then you can opt to choose the location instead of doing extra damage or other nasty things against the target. Otherwise you roll random. There is no situation in which you "miss completely because you were going for a specific body part", which frankly does not make much sense but is present in many game systems.

On 9/18/2018 at 9:36 AM, RosenMcStern said:

Revolution D100 uses the Legend (MRQ2) combat model, in which you do not choose the desired effects before rolling, but after. If your roll is eligible for a called shot (any hit in melee, a critical from afar) then you can opt to choose the location instead of doing extra damage or other nasty things against the target. Otherwise you roll random. There is no situation in which you "miss completely because you were going for a specific body part", which frankly does not make much sense but is present in many game systems.

I allow a Hero Point to be spent to allow you to choose a Combat Effect before the rolls are made, so you can spend a Hero point to choose a location. Not in the rules, but it's how I play it.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 5 months later...
On 9/4/2018 at 6:14 AM, RosenMcStern said:

As you can see in the example above, the new standard for character statblocks will superimpose location information on a picture or silhouette of the character. This will help us convey the message that “this game supports hit locations, but they are an improvement for those who love detail, not a necessity”. The die roll corresponding to the hit location will not be included unless the stats are for a creature with a non-standard number of locations.

Comments welcome.

FWIW, I would discourage a character-sheet with such substantive elements (as hit-locations, AP/HP per location, on a drawing of the PC) for optional elements.

Graphically/visually, they have become the dominant features of the sheet above; presumably, the MOST important!

Others' MMV.

(fwiw:  I love hit-locations & hp/ap per location; so I'm all-in on that personally; but in principle I think an "optional" system should be clearly, visually, optional.)

C'es ne pas un .sig

As long as the picture matches the character, I am OK with the Hit Location optional add on. 

As soon as it would represent a generic silhouette, I would omit the image and make it a table instead. Depending on if the silhouette matches the setting, it might be OK, too. What I do not want to see is a human silhouette representing a sci-fi robot or alien. Or a skeleton warrior with a sword and shield for a horror skeleton. That would disrupt the mood.

Saying that, the last part is only possible for setting books, though.

Edited by pansophy