Crowdsourced Old Characters and 1610s Family History

jeffjerwin

The Orldaging War (1565-1577) (note there are some lacunae where I simply don't have the information. The outlawry of King Penterest is a surmise).

Participating Homelands: Sartar, Hendrikiland, Sun Dome.

Initially only the Malani and the Colymar took part, but the Lismelder, Balmyr and Locaem (and some ducks) participated in the outlaw hunt of King Penterest. Sun Domers and veterans of the Trollkiller wars were in the King’s war band. 

The was the twelve-year-long war against the Malani led by the two Colymar kings who were children of Orldag Antorling the Storm Voice.

In c.1570 the king of the Malani was slain, but Umathkar was slain in battle in 1573; her brother Penterest carried on the feud for four more years until King Tarkalor intervened in 1577, when Penterest was killed.

The cause of the feud was […], but the Malani had always hated the Colymar since the Orlkarl Tribute in 1325. The Malani were always touchy.

Despite all this Tarkalor ruled against the Colymar, mainly because they did not make peace. He ordered the neighboring tribes to gather their fyrd (excluding the Malani, because he did not want reprisals) and declared king Penterest an outlaw.

If your character is a member of the Colymar clan, your ancestor probably fought against the Malani and King Tarkalor. Otherwise they fought for their opponents.

Modifiers: +8 if Colymar, Malani; +5 if Lismelder, Locaem, Balmyr, Sun Domer

1-12                You ancestor avoided the perils of bloodfeud and played no role in this event, perhaps moving to a safer area. People called them the ‘Prudent’ or the ‘Coward’ after that if they were in one of the warring tribes. If they were not Colymar or Malani, nobody cares.

13-15             Your ancestor died for other reasons (perhaps peripherally related). Roll on the Random Death Table.

16-18             Your ancestor became entangled in this conflict. Roll on the Events table.

19-20             Your ancestor was one of the Colymar or Malani slain in the initial troubles. They never lived to see the war break out, but you have a Hate (opposing tribe) Passion anyway. If your ancestor belonged to a different tribe, they were killed while they were visiting, or roll on the Random Death table.

Events (+5 if non-Colymar or non-Malani)

1-5                  Your ancestor died in the raid that culminated in the death of King […] of the Malani. Reputation +1d3%, gain Hate (opposing tribe).

6-8                  Your ancestor fought in the feud, but respected Tarkalor’s edict, and laid down their arms, or they were neutral and served in the peace delegations. Gain Harmony +5%.

9-14                When Umathkar was slain, your ancestor was there. Add +1d3 Reputation.

15-17             Your ancestor took up arms in the final part of the war, after Penterest was outlawed, and a peace imposed. If you are Colymar gain Disorder rune +5%. If your ancestor was one of those who joined Tarkalor’s forces, gain Hate (Outlaws).

18-20             Your ancestor helped kill King Penterest. Gain Loyalty (House of Sartar), Reputation +1d3%

Edited by jeffjerwin

5 hours ago, jeffjerwin said:

The cause of the feud was […],

Probably something the Varmandi did - they always feud with the Malani, particularly the Orleving.

gain Law rune +10%

No Law Rune currently in RQG.  Could be Harmony rune or Stasis rune.

+10% Death rune

Most of the Family Background entries don't have Rune additions.  Passions, yes; Reputation or Wealth, yes; skills, occasionally; runes, rare.  Doesn't mean there couldn't be Rune additions, but I'm not sure what would necessarily produce a change in Runes that would carry down.  If you do include, I'd likely go with +5% at most as this affects the PC's personality in ways they may not want.

24 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Probably something the Varmandi did - they always feud with the Malani, particularly the Orleving.

No Law Rune currently in RQG.  Could be Harmony rune or Stasis rune.

Most of the Family Background entries don't have Rune additions.  Passions, yes; Reputation or Wealth, yes; skills, occasionally; runes, rare.  Doesn't mean there couldn't be Rune additions, but I'm not sure what would necessarily produce a change in Runes that would carry down.  If you do include, I'd likely go with +5% at most as this affects the PC's personality in ways they may not want.

Thanks (I've deleted these if anyone's looking). Evaluating whether runes are hereditary now... I always kinda assumed they were partially, though circumstances of a person's birth and life were possibly more important.

Now, if somebody's grandfather was a famous troublemaker, that may have reputation-based effects... 

• 3 weeks later...

They'd regard themselves as a race, though perhaps not particularly elderly one. Random Boons (1) on RQGp.40 includesCentaur Dark-troll, dragnet,dwarf, duck,elf, fox-woman, Telmori-werewolf and wind-child as types of elder-race lore.

On another tack does 1579 Phargentes' death look more suspicious than the official over-exursion in the contest with Verala Tor story (in the context of all the regional assassinations and 'assisted apotheoses' going on around that time?)

2 hours ago, Byll said:

]On another tack does 1579 Phargentes' death look more suspicious than the official over-exursion in the contest with Verala Tor story (in the context of all the regional assassinations and 'assisted apotheoses' going on around that time?)

Well, if Metcalph is right on the wiki, he was born around 1515, making him 64, which is sorta 'old age' as the Guide puts it.

PS. I'm taking a brief break from this project since I have a deadline and other stuff on my plate (like my Fourth Wane game with my daughter). I'll get back to this in a while.

King of Sartar has his father Phoronestes birth at 1491, and under his son's entry says that Phargentes died at the age of 65 in 1579. The final paragraph on Phargentes says he died of old age, peacefully and with blessings passed on to his son and kin. I guess I was just seeing red moons under the bedrooms.

On 9/5/2018 at 11:18 AM, Grievous said:

Also, some variant events (more current) that are specific to the Red Cow and/or Cinsina:

I'm myself planning on adding some Culbrea intrigue/politics into the early years in my campaign, so some Culbrea related events seem of utility, so I'm including those. Background for the feud with the Emerald Sword also feels like a very suitable source.

1603-16113: The Cinsina are ruled by by the pro-Lunar King Garralor, who sought to control the Jonstown Confederation at the expense of the Culbrea. That could be the source of something. He also re-instituted the Council of Grey Sages.

1607: The Wolf Hunt

1611-1612: Findar Longsword of the Two-Pine/Culbrea renews the Seven Tributes and exacts a heavy price from the Red Cow. Many in the clan were angry at that, and Farandar Orendalsson challenged Valenstor Moor-Leaper for the chieftaincy in 1612, but lost.

1613: After Starbrow's Revolt, Valenstor Moor-Leaper of the Red Cow is removed as chief to avoid punishment from the Empire. Broddi becomes the new chieftain. Maybe one of your parents could be among his supporters, perhaps exiled.

1614: Broddi stopped paying the Red Cow Tribute, and encouraged the Blueberry, Goodhaven and Greenhaft clans not to pay tribute either. Not sure if this translates to specific events, but seems quite notable regardless, especially as regards to the Cinsina relations to the Culbrea.

1615: Tormakt's Farm Massacre, which starts a feud with the Emerald Sword. Chief Broddi negotiates compensation, but Kangharl Black-Brow refuses the blood money for his dead wife, wanting only revenge. Broddi negotiated peace with the Emerald Sword, but the feuding continues a few years later. This is great background for the campaign and could easily slot into a character's history.

1617: Kangharl Black-Brow led a cattle raid against the Emerald Sword. Broddi can't settle the matter. The Emerald Sword champion, Rostakus Twice-Outlawed, tried to settle the feud in a duel at Dangerford; he killed the Red Cow champion Jordarn the Clash. Far from ending the feud this killing further enraged the Red Cow clan. This is very recent history for a Red Cow/Coming Storm/Eleven Lights campaign, of course.

Unfortunately I just have these rough notes for stuff to base events on, but I figured they might be useful regardless.

Your list was a great starting point. Here’s the timeline I’m working on specifically for my upcoming Red Cow campaign. I’m ignoring many events from the official Family History and trying to work in more localized events. When dealing with big events, the Coming Storm provides some nice details for how the Red Cow were involved.

Coming Storm / Eleven Lights Family History Notes

Your History

1618-Present Day

1617–Silk Breeches Feud

1616–

1615–Tormakt’s Farm Massacre

Parent’s History

1614–Broodi stops the Red Cow Tribute / Telmori clash at Pine Stand

1613–Kallyr’s Rebellion—Garralor Hendriksson keeps the Cinsina out of the rebellion

1611–Bloody Sword Tribute Raids/Black Paws wife killed—Lunar government raises taxes and bans the worship of Orlanth

1607–Wolf Hunt

1606–Torkan’s Vale massacre—Telmori slaughter the Maboder Tribe—Black Moon Massacre

1605–Farandar avenges Eoric’s Stead

1602–Orkarl leads Red Cow against Lunars (Runegate/Caroman/Boldhome)

Grand Parent’s History

1601–Grandparents Retire If Still Alive

1597-Adventurer Born By This Year

1596–Burning of Eoric’s Stead

????—Ferry Feud—Aid the Sazdorf Trolls

1582–Battle of Grizzly Peak—Led by Orkarl

1575-79–Kangharl Moon-Hater led the Cinsina to fight in Tarsh

1575-Parents Born By This Year

1574-1577–Gannara the Lowfire fails to weave peace with the Dinacoli—Green Ale Feud

1573-Tarkalor’s War—Daylanor leads Red Cow to aid in defeat of the Kitori

????—Orkarl’s Bull Riders defeat the Emerald Sword Raid

1563–Jarosar Hothead’s Road—Feud with the Dolutha

1554-Grandparents Born By This Year

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...