Cthulhu Invictus

Sid Vicarious

It was made available for the Kickstarter backers a while ago. I downloaded it, but haven't yet looked at it in great detail. I will when I start a D100 Rome campaign, maybe some time next year.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 1 year later...

I'm just reading Cthulhu Invictus (by Golden Goblin Press) and haven't been so delighted by an RPG sourcebook in a long time. For a someone like me who is not that well-versed in classic history, it feels like the perfect introduction to Imperial Rome for RPG purposes. There's a lot of information about the harsh social reality of that times right there in the introduction, and it is all very concise and well-written. The text gives some suggestions about how to deal with status in play, especially with regards to foreigners ("barbarians") and slaves, and briefly outlines gender roles and relations. All of this clearly with an eye on how to make the setting work at the gaming table, and all on the first few pages.

I'm about halfway through the book, and everything seems exceptionally well-done (including the layout, which manages to get a LOT of text on each page without compromising readiblity). There's Cthulhu Mythos variants of a bunch of mythological creatures like centaurs and harpies, if you feel you need these, there's write-ups of secret organisations for characters to belong to or to fight, there's a chapter on the Roman legion, on the City of Rome and on the Roman Empire and its provinces; and there's two scenarios (haven't read those yet, though). Really, this a great sourcebook - I think I'm going to throw a lot more money at Golden Goblin Press and everything with the name Oscar Rios on it in the near future ...