Jump Height

Mechashef

Jump heights may be a bit broken.

P166 states that with a running start:

With a critical success, the adventurer can jump horizontally four times their height, or twice their height vertically."

A 2m tall character (SIZ 19) thus could jump 4m high on a critical (3m high on a specia  .

To put that into perspective, a basketball hoop is 3.05m from the ground.  Thus such a character would be able to comfortably make it over the ring on a critical, and almost make it on a special.

The current world record is 2.45m, held by a man who is 1.95m tall.

The distance for jump is about right, with the current world record being nearly 9m.  So a RQ adventurer can do long jump well, but certainly not at current earth elite levels, but their high jump ability is phenomenal.

Of course viewing a fantasy game through real world realism eyes is always of debatable use.

Is it clearing that height with the lowest part of their body or reaching that height with their outstretched arms? I read the jump height as the latter - you jump up to reach a branch/dangling rope/the edge of the wall or roof, rather than you leap up to land standing on your feet.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I thought I may have been misunderstanding it too, but for a normal success it states:

With a success, the adventurer can safely leap down vertically to their own height; jump twice their height horizontally; or up to their height vertically with a running start.

Interpreting it the way you suggested would mean that a successful jump allows an adventurer to reach to their own head height, which is lower than they can reach without jumping. 

3 minutes ago, Mechashef said:

I thought I may have been misunderstanding it too, but for a normal success it states:

Interpreting it the way you suggested would mean that a successful jump allows an adventurer to reach to their own head height, which is lower than they can reach without jumping. 

Ok. But that is what I would expect from a leaping kick, not a move to gain a foothold without something to grab and hold on to.

Not sure if my interpretation is correct, but I would let a character make a jump roll before allowing him to kick someone into the head from a running start (using targeted hit location attack rules), much like a rider making his ride roll to maneuver himself into an attack position.

If it is a chase scene across rooftops or garden walls, that normal success would mean that the jump delivered the leading foot on the top of the wall and one or both hands in position to pull the character up and let him continue afterwards, or to roll on top of a not too steep roof as result of the leap.

A normal success should allow the jumper to clear the horse rump and to pull himself into the saddle. High llama riders either need to be significantly taller or have a different technique like pushing their foot into a sling on the flank of their steed.

Olympic high jump heights were about chest high before Dick Fosbury changed the way the athletes had leaped since antiquity.  No idea whether pole vaulting introduced this earlier or whether it copied the high jump technique - the original pole vault may have had only a sand box for the landing, so coming down feet first before rolling off would have been essential for the survival of the vaulter. The Fosbury Flop doesn't look advisable to try without a thick springy cushion for the landing or virtually no falling distance from that height, either.

Circus athletes routinely leap onto the (slightly hunching) shoulders of their team mates from the ground, or take on additional momentum by leaping from the robbers ladder assist of one of their team mates, or one of those seesaw catapults.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I'd use these general guidelines for jump for a normal humanoid:

Vertical - half their height (ie they could reach half their height above their head, or jump up to about their waist.

Standing - jump horizontally their body length, or backward half that

Running - +100% more horizontally or +50% more vertically

Standard success would be all of those values.  Specials or criticals would be contextual, not extra distance usually... either result in a particularly neat arrival (ie ready to fight or cast a spell or at least not prone) or maybe give them that little extra distance they needed to make a jump they otherwise couldn't.

As Joerg says, this isn't an Olympic Highjumper clearing a bar, instead it is someone trying to jump up a wall, or to get on a tree, or perhaps to clear the horns of a bull.

If you want to clear an obstacle without touching it, just add in a level of difficulty depending on the height.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

8 hours ago, styopa said:

I'd use these general guidelines for jump for a normal humanoid:

Vertical - half their height (ie they could reach half their height above their head, or jump up to about their waist.

Standing - jump horizontally their body length, or backward half that

Running - +100% more horizontally or +50% more vertically

Standard success would be all of those values.  Specials or criticals would be contextual, not extra distance usually... either result in a particularly neat arrival (ie ready to fight or cast a spell or at least not prone) or maybe give them that little extra distance they needed to make a jump they otherwise couldn't.

You're not far from a very good approach...

The simplest way is to use the ballistic equations which work for any projectiles like arrows, stones and ... humans too. To resume the equations : when jumping, the highest height is half length of the longest distance.

-An bow with a max range of 200m (shoot at 45°, with peak height of 50m) could attain 100m when shoot vertically (shoot at 90°).

-For a human, if the max Standing long jump is around 12ft / 3,6m the standing high jump is 6ft / 1,8m.

-With a bit running, the Long jump distance WR is around 8 meters and with a trampoline shifting your speed vertically, you could do a 4 meters jump. (the reference quoted by Mechashef)

All these are independent of gravity or mass of the object and are an approximation.

4 hours ago, Pentallion said:

Or assume the rules are correct and gravity is less on Glorantha.  Well, not gravity, but some magical property of Glorantha allows people to jump vertically higher than on Earth.

Nope, this won't work because people often use World Record as reference but forget to distinguish jump with and Without momentum;

As all "standing long/high jump" Olympics Games were abandoned before 1920'... I understand most people didn't find or seek enough the best reference to use !

6 hours ago, soltakss said:

As Joerg says, this isn't an Olympic Highjumper clearing a bar, instead it is someone trying to jump up a wall, or to get on a tree, or perhaps to clear the horns of a bull.

If you want to clear an obstacle without touching it, just add in a level of difficulty depending on the height.

I prefer this explanation which is logical and correct in term of physic whatever the gravity is !

References :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_high_jump / WR 1.90m in 1980
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_long_jump / WR 3.73m (12 ft 23⁄4 in) in 23 February 2015