Lunar PC rune magic in RQG Sartar?

Rob Helm

I'm curious how Lunar player characters get rune magic in RQG Sartar. For example, Vostor, the pre-generated Lunar Tarshite character I've been playing occasionally.

Heroquest: Roleplaying in Glorantha seems to be set about the same time as RQG, and it implies that the Seven Mothers cult has been wiped out in Sartar after Dragonrise. (See the box at the bottom of page 192.)

With no temples in Sartar, how can someone like Vostor renew rune points, etc., in an RQG game? Are there still some tribes or confederations that tolerate Lunar worship?

Rob

The rune spell Sanctify specifically mentions that you can use it to replenish rune points. I’m sure there are sorcerous methods as well that the Lunars can use. 

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

6 hours ago, Zozotroll said:

Just waking up so I didnt get the title right away.  Politically correct Lunars would be hilarious.  They probably would just shrivel up and die.

On the contrary, I see this working perfectly! "Excuse me, it's the Red Moon, not the Bloody Moon. Freaking barbarians. Don't you know it's 1625?" (Yes yes, it'd be some Wane number but I can't be arsed.)

8 hours ago, David Scott said:

The rune spell Sanctify specifically mentions that you can use it to replenish rune points. I’m sure there are sorcerous methods as well that the Lunars can use. 

On a less humorous note, I'm a bit confused here. I'm looking back at my PDF of the core, "Replenishing Rune Points" on p.315, and it reads to me like you've got to be participating in one of the cult activities listed to replenish RP. Sanctify just seems to make a "temporary temple" (but I also don't understand how long it lasts?). I feel like I'm missing something really obvious in this.

And I'd love to see some weird sorcery/Rune Magic shenanigans, when we get a proper Lunar supplement! They are the religion of breaking the rules after all! (So who knows if the Core even matters to them...)

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

(gingerly pokes head up above stockade wall)

The way I read it is, it has to be an appropriate day, then you sanctify it with the spell, then do a worship.  If you succeed in the worship you replenish as per that day.  So yes, the spell alone does not let you replenish, it just makes it possible to do so.  Of course you are not going to do this if you are around a real temple or shrine.  This is for when you are n the road and none is available on a given holy day.

At least this is how I plan on doing it,baring somebody showing I have my head totally up my ass.

(quickly ducks back down before expected rock hurling begins)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zozotroll said:

Just waking up so I didnt get the title right away.  Politically correct Lunars would be hilarious.  They probably would just shrivel up and die.

No no, you've misunderstood!

The Lunar Coders each have a PC.

• Haha 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

12 hours ago, Zozotroll said:

The way I read it is, it has to be an appropriate day, then you sanctify it with the spell, then do a worship.  If you succeed in the worship you replenish as per that day.  So yes, the spell alone does not let you replenish, it just makes it possible to do so.  Of course you are not going to do this if you are around a real temple or shrine.  This is for when you are n the road and none is available on a given holy day.

That seems about right to me, as a reading of RAW. An ad hoc Sanctified space wouldn't give you any 'location' bonus to your Worship chance, but there's no occasion listed for getting Rune Points back which isn't at least a minor Holy day. I think it's one of the advantages the big Cults (Orlanth, Ernalda, Seven Mothers and the like) that they have weekly minor Holy days... lesser Cults only get Seasonal and High Holy days, which means their Priests have to be much more prudent about when to blow their Rune Points.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, womble said:

An ad hoc Sanctified space wouldn't give you any 'location' bonus to your Worship chance, but there's no occasion listed for getting Rune Points back which isn't at least a minor Holy day.

Correct.  And Lunars would generally want to use it on Wildday/Full Moon to get maximum benefit.  There will be locations that are useful/relevant though - Moonbroth in Prax is an obvious one.  It wouldn't surprise me if some place in Snakepipe Hollow works just fine.  Or, you could carry a portable Moonstone with you to serve as altar/focus for a 'location' benefit.  Lunar army units would have their standard to serve the same purpose.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Correct.  And Lunars would generally want to use it on Wildday/Full Moon to get maximum benefit...

They can't use it on any other day (unless their Seasonals aren't on Wildday - no time to dig in and find out). That was part of my point. You can Worship anywhere that's Sanctified, but only on appropriate days.

• Like 1