Physics of Runes

Narakitul

Runes are not something which can be "applied". You don't "use" a rune by drawing a symbol our something, you use them by channeling the powers they represent, whether that's by casting a spell granted to you by the gods of the air, applying your knowledge of the principles of earth to raise a golem, or by making a bargain with a spirit of truth. Perhaps you may draw or sign a rune to help you remember the ultimate power you are drawing from and focus the energy, but the act of signing a rune has no power in and of itself.

25 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

Runes are not something which can be "applied". You don't "use" a rune by drawing a symbol our something, you use them by channeling the powers they represent, whether that's by casting a spell granted to you by the gods of the air, applying your knowledge of the principles of earth to raise a golem, or by making a bargain with a spirit of truth. Perhaps you may draw or sign a rune to help you remember the ultimate power you are drawing from and focus the energy, but the act of signing a rune has no power in and of itself.

It might do so in some particular schools of sorcery specifically, where an Action and a Magic might be one and the same thing, but thank you for explaining the generalities of this so concisely and so well to Narakitul.

Also, a carving or a tattoo of a Rune can be created within a part of a Ritual or Initiation or so on, that an individual or a group could use it as a manner of aid in their own personal ways, but these objects or symbols are not, in that case, the Runes themselves but rather a means to help direct the thought or the spirit or the soul to the Rune itself -- much as Christian veneration of Saints can involve using a statue of the Saint, but the statue is nothing more than a statue.

6 hours ago, Narakitul said:

I'm brand new to Runequest, but old RPG player. I'm really curious the physics of Runes. Can I draw a Rune in the dirt and cast a spell! Can I just sign the rune in the air? How is a Rune used?

There isn't really on the fly creative magic as you describe, but Yes, the rune you draw could be used as a focus to cast magic you already know. Generally speaking it's used to focus magical power to do something related to the rune you are using.

As to the "physics", the building blocks of everything in the world is runes, even people. Everyone is made of runes. In runequest your character sheet shows the balance of all the runes you are made of and as a result the affinity you have for some of them. If you have a lot of affinity for certain runes, you can use that to help you in daily life (an augment). Affinities with fire mean you can likely light a fire more easily, water, swim better, etc.  The downside is that these runes are also your personality. Too much fire - hot headed, too much water - slippery 🙂

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Drawing the Runes could be a neat aspect to play with, fluff-wise, or as the foundation for a homebrewed school of sorcery. I'm thinking something kinda like AonDor (spelling?) in Brandon Sanderson's Elantris, where the Elantrians use magic by sketching Aon runes in the air. (Pic is some of the Aons used.)

Might be hard to put to tabletop as a sorcery system, but some food for thought (for me, anyway). Modular systems are super cool, but I've found they tend to be clunky in use.

But I can totally see a warrior making a quick cross while casting Bladesharp, or finishing an Ignite spell with the dot at the center of the Fire/Sky Rune, as part of the casting description.

aons.jpeg

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

On 9/18/2018 at 2:14 AM, Narakitul said:

I'm brand new to Runequest, but old RPG player. I'm really curious the physics of Runes. Can I draw a Rune in the dirt and cast a spell! Can I just sign the rune in the air? How is a Rune used? I've just heard about the meaning of Runes, but not all the various ways they can be applied.

You can do that with Foci, if you use Foci in your game, so why not runes?

I suppose, if you use a Rune to augment something, you can draw the rune, clutch the rune or imagine the rune, so that's how I'd use it.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

18 hours ago, soltakss said:

You can do that with Foci, if you use Foci in your game, so why not runes?

Using runes as Foci are covered on page 254.

13 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Certainly most Orlanthi and Praxians are adorned with runes in tattoos and in clothing.

And certainly the tools they are going to use the magic on. Death rune for Bladesharp on your sword, Fire rune for Fireblade, etc.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/