Three New Stars, Three New Gods?

Leingod

31 minutes ago, Leingod said:

Huh, I hadn't noticed that. Can you point out which is which?

The one closest to the viewer has a single draught-pole, and the one 'behind' it has a double draught-pole,  with the two poles joining towards the yoke. The latter design is far stronger and prevents a single point of failure rendering the chariot useless (the draught-pole and its join to the car sustain a great deal of 'shock' when the chariot is going at any speed, and is very liable to break - a double pole, with the lower pole extending under the car to attach to the non-rotating axle is significantly more robust).

The other difference is that the latter has handrail wings useful in mounting or dismounting quickly - especially when the chariot is being used as a battle-taxi. The passengers in those chariots are armed with long-shafted sagaris, which is suggestive of how the chariots are used in combat.

[I have a forthcoming article on Gloranthan chariots hopefully being published in the near future...]

chariots.jpg

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

The one closest to the viewer has a single draught-pole, and the one 'behind' it has a double draught-pole,  with the two poles joining towards the yoke. The latter design is far stronger and prevents a single point of failure rendering the chariot useless (the draught-pole and its join to the car sustain a great deal of 'shock' when the chariot is going at any speed, and is very liable to break - a double pole, with the lower pole extending under the car to attach to the non-rotating axle is significantly more robust).

The other difference is that the latter has handrail wings useful in mounting or dismounting quickly - especially when the chariot is being used as a battle-taxi. The passengers in those chariots are armed with long-shafted sagaris, which is suggestive of how the chariots are used in combat.

[I have a forthcoming article on Gloranthan chariots hopefully being published in the near future...]

chariots.jpg

Huh. The closer one has a guy with cloud "wings" and a magic-looking scepter, so maybe he's a Rune Lord and his chariot doesn't need to be as combat-effective as the other ones (the third one off in the distance seems to have the double-pole thing)?

Those are some badass guys. More reasons to buy Ride Like The Wind. Always interesting to see the various forms Storm worshippers took before Heortlings as we know them came to be.

The guy in the front is, if not a Rune Lord, certainly some kind of leader. He's the one with the Biggest Hat, after all, and has a staff/scepter instead of a pole-pick, not to mention the wings.

It's probably too much to ask for to see their rumoured allies (bull-riders, lion-warriors and something else), but who knows.

I also recognize the artist's style. It's the same guy who drew a lot of the new series of Prophet from Image Comics. Simon Roy, I think his name is. Great artist.
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/01/10-reasons-why-brandon-grahams-prophet-is-the-best.html

12 hours ago, Leingod said:

Huh. The closer one has a guy with cloud "wings" and a magic-looking scepter, so maybe he's a Rune Lord and his chariot doesn't need to be as combat-effective as the other ones (the third one off in the distance seems to have the double-pole thing)?

Certainly some sort of lord. His driver is also more heavily armored than most of the other drivers.

Edited by M Helsdon

• 1 month later...

I really like the idea of Baroshi as a cult for men with the Earth Rune, making him something like the Earth version of Vinga. Whereas Nandan is for men called to Ernalda, Baroshi is for men called to the Dark Earth. Perhaps if he's one of the Three Stars, more boys start being born with Earth rune souls. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bohemond said:

I really like the idea of Baroshi as a cult for men with the Earth Rune, making him something like the Earth version of Vinga. Whereas Nandan is for men called to Ernalda, Baroshi is for men called to the Dark Earth. 

I don't really see why Baroshi should be limited to the Dark Earth. Sure, he has an avenger aspect, but that isn't that far from Tada's job to keep unwanted elements out. Baroshi is the warlike male earth, the protector, but that doesn't eliminate his intrinsic fertility aspects as a harvest entity. (Naturally, he doesn't have great feats in that direction - his myth is similar to that of Choralinthor, about survival in the face of destruction, only that his revival takes longer to take place.)

The discussion so far appears to have assumed that the star selection would occur before Baroshi's liberation from the Hollow. How would this play out if your heroes first went into his chamber in the Hollow?

1 hour ago, Bohemond said:

Perhaps if he's one of the Three Stars, more boys start being born with Earth rune souls. 

There is always Barntar, as much the Male Earth god of the Orlanthi, the warlike-when-needed fertility manager. Baroshi falls into a similar bracket, the seed-bringer and defender.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

To me, it seems that Baroshi has elements of Vinga, Babeester Gor and even Storm Bull. From the one myth we have of him, he avenges his parents, protects a holy Earth site, and defeats Chaos.

His identity as a barley seed and fairly defensive/protective nature makes me wonder if maybe his myth might hold secrets to protecting granaries full of seeds for planting next spring. He very much seems like a "god in waiting", down there in his mother's old earth temple.

23 hours ago, Joerg said:

I don't really see why Baroshi should be limited to the Dark Earth. Sure, he has an avenger aspect, but that isn't that far from Tada's job to keep unwanted elements out. Baroshi is the warlike male earth, the protector, but that doesn't eliminate his intrinsic fertility aspects as a harvest entity. (Naturally, he doesn't have great feats in that direction - his myth is similar to that of Choralinthor, about survival in the face of destruction, only that his revival takes longer to take place.)

The discussion so far appears to have assumed that the star selection would occur before Baroshi's liberation from the Hollow. How would this play out if your heroes first went into his chamber in the Hollow?

There is always Barntar, as much the Male Earth god of the Orlanthi, the warlike-when-needed fertility manager. Baroshi falls into a similar bracket, the seed-bringer and defender.

Well, there is already a Light Earth deity for men with a woman's soul--Nandan. Presumably Nandani tend to the Earth/Harmony/Life combo that Ernalda has and thus are less likely to be warriors and more likely to pursue 'Another Way' solutions like Ernalda does. 

I like the idea of Barntar as the male parallel to Vinga (men with Earth souls) but there seems to be a sense that he's a Storm tribe member, not an Earth tribe member, and that his magic is Air not Earth. 

20 minutes ago, Bohemond said:

Well, there is already a Light Earth deity for men with a woman's soul--Nandan. Presumably Nandani tend to the Earth/Harmony/Life combo that Ernalda has and thus are less likely to be warriors and more likely to pursue 'Another Way' solutions like Ernalda does. 

I like the idea of Barntar as the male parallel to Vinga (men with Earth souls) but there seems to be a sense that he's a Storm tribe member, not an Earth tribe member, and that his magic is Air not Earth. 

I think he's an Earth god. His head is a literal barley seed (unlike say Barntar, who is a plow-man). He's John Barleycorn, a little version of Flamal, the dying, sprouting and resurrecting god. He's also a bread, whiskey and beer god. He may therefore be compared with our Earth gods Mimir and Kvasir, who are gods of wisdom and inspiration. Recall that the loss of male Earth - Genert - was one of the primordial traumas of Genertela, one that might be repaired during the Hero Wars.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pentallion said:

I think it's worth working into anyone's campaign to link the resurrection of Baroshi with the quest for Flamal by the elves and the eventual Reforestation.

Maybe, but his is a different kind of slumbering seed: a domesticated agricultural cereal. Elves looking for reforestation might not see him as a relevant deity.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Maybe, but his is a different kind of slumbering seed: a domesticated agricultural cereal. Elves looking for reforestation might not see him as a relevant deity.

Baroshi could become instrumental in pushing the maize cult of Hon-eel out of Tarsh and Saird.

• Like 4

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I really like Baroshi as a vector for masculine Earth practices, something that was once just standard in the time of Genert and Tada but has no regular channels in contemporary Dragon Pass.

Orlanthi mythology and cultic practices really don't offer much for Earth-aspected men (the Lightbringer cults are probably your best bet).