Boldhome map from endpaper of the hardback

OrlanthR

Very well done map, nice perspective. Getting a sense of the differences in elevation is not that easy, but I know from experience how much a bitch it is to show up when drawing that elevation effect perfectly accurate.

I guess all those many flat roofs are mostly the dwarf-built pockets, or imitations thereof (or individuals getting dwarf masons to work for them?). Those are a lot less in the rock walls than I would have expected - not quite the interior of the Cappadocian cave cities, but more rock facades like Petra.

The Earth temple (one of the places I would have expected to have a flat roof) comes with a very sensible slanted roof, apparently shingled.

The Queen's Palace reminds me of the City of Wonders architecture - must be the serpent winding around that phallic tower. (I don't think that Rapunzel is an Ernaldan myth, or is it? Would the Ernaldan version rather lower the serpent to let in the suitor, or would the suitor have to fly or levitate in?)

Very nice duck "nest" town in the pond. Fits in with my description of the durulz refugee town opposite of (my version of) Karse. 

Is the Orlanth Adventurous temple the one that caused the feud between Saronil and the mostali?

How come that the tribal lands are near the branching off of the western arm while the tribal manors are in the north arm?

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 10/3/2018 at 8:50 PM, Dragonsnail said:

Troll Corner on the map, is that a village with troll population? Looks quite big, considering there are probably underground caves too.

The Rough Guide said:

"Troll Corner

As far from humans as possible, tucked into a place no one else wants where the trolls of Boldhome congregate. They are officially allowed to be there, but naturally distrust it. Their area looks more like a squatter camp than a place where intelligent beings live. It is guarded, patrolled and booby trapped by the residents for their own safety."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Byll said:

The Rough Guide said:

"Troll Corner

As far from humans as possible, tucked into a place no one else wants where the trolls of Boldhome congregate. They are officially allowed to be there, but naturally distrust it. Their area looks more like a squatter camp than a place where intelligent beings live. It is guarded, patrolled and booby trapped by the residents for their own safety."

Thank you for the info.

For all times I've played in Glorantha, Boldhome has not really been a focus, so I know very little about it. Perhaps time to change that.

Edited by Dragonsnail

• 3 months later...

The Boldhome map from the back pages of the printed RuneQuest - Roleplaying in Glorantha rulebook is now available from Redbubble:
https://www.redbubble.com/de/people/chaosium/works/36368265-stadt-von-boldhome-map-von-olivier-sanfilippo?c=586570-glorantha-cartography

By the way: I have some questions about this map.

1. I'm not able to locate blue 19 - Spider Temple.
    On the other hand there is an empty blue marker above red 9 - Lunar Tower. Is this the missing marker for blue 19, i.e. is the Spider Temple located above the Lunar Tower?
  2. Red 5 is named the Queen's Palace and red 6 is the City Tower, but on the map red 5 is obviously a tower and red 6 is not. So should the markers be switched?
Edited by Oracle
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, 7Tigers said:

blue 19 - Spider Temple is above 37 - Troll Corner (very top, left)

Ah, indeed. I've missed that, because it is not visible in the printed version at the back of RuneQuest - Roleplaying in Glorantha, which I used as my reference. But it is clearly visible in the version at the Cartographer's Guild as well as it seems to be in the version available from Redbubble.

So the empty blue marker above red 9 - Lunar Tower seems to be a misprint ...

Edited by Oracle

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, GianniVacca said:

What about a larger scale?

G.

See here maybe:

On 1/26/2019 at 9:31 PM, Oracle said:

The Boldhome map from the back pages of the printed RuneQuest - Roleplaying in Glorantha rulebook is now available from Redbubble:
https://www.redbubble.com/de/people/chaosium/works/36368265-stadt-von-boldhome-map-von-olivier-sanfilippo?c=586570-glorantha-cartography

Quivin as a son of Veskarthan should be a volcano god, which cries out either basalt or obsidian to me as the dominant rock of the Quivins. Definitely not chalk or sandstone.

The lesser mountains around him may have other origins and less magmatic rock, but I wouldn't expect chalk or sandstone for them, either.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 4 years later...

Sorry for reviving this very old thread, but ... Chaosium have now made the RQG core book Boldhome map available as part of the digital version. And it looks really, really nice in giant JPEG form (21MB). The Dragon Pass map has also been added, for anyone who doesn't have that as part of the GM Screen Pack.

Here is what was stated on Discord:

I've updated the CHA4028-PDF bundles on chaosium.com and Drivethru to include the two missing end sheet maps. Login to your respective accounts to download them. Drivethru users will get an automatic notification. Bits and Mortar will be updated within the next seven day. Use your code to download the package again.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 4

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.