Leingod

The Lore of Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind

Yeah, that's the one. I hadn't known it was a Larnste thing, though I suppose I should've guessed (I guess it migrated south over the years). In that context, it's kind of interesting that it's so friendly to you (pretty much the only offer you can make that doesn't seem to work is offering it Elmal's protection). Maybe it's because the Hyalorings themselves are very different in their attitudes on change and freedom than the Dara Happans they broke away from, that they don't approach a weird magic rock inscribed with one of the Runes of Rebellus Terminus himself as something inherently dangerous.

On 1/11/2019 at 1:41 PM, Sir_Godspeed said:

I remember that Peloria is filled with various megalithic structures, like dolmens or something similar - so it might be a nod towards that? No idea, to be honest.

I wanted to get those in, but the map on p.348 of Guide to Glorantha shows them all way too far north (and probably under the Glacier). That’s always the problem with Glorantha, there’s always cool stuff just outside the map…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alakoring said:

I wanted to get those in, but the map on p.348 of Guide to Glorantha shows them all way too far north (and probably under the Glacier). That’s always the problem with Glorantha, there’s always cool stuff just outside the map…

Ah, straight from the source! Thanks for commenting. ^^

Also, I'm a little curious on what information we can extract about the development and trajectory of the various Hyalorings. To do that, I'll start by reviewing what we know about the ancestors of the various Hyaloring clans, the Four Clans:

The East Clan was founded by “golden-eyed Zenangar of the Zervusa family.” When the four clan founders hunted with Dostal as children, Zenangar kept Nameforgot from crying out when they spotted an elk, learning the value of keeping quiet when you spot your quarry. After Hyalor suffered the second of the Three Wounds that killed him, Zenangar was one of the two chieftains of the Four Clans who tried to save him by “riding to the Gods War,” i.e. performing a Heroquest, but it failed without all four of them. When Hyalor made a circuit to all the clans to give them his last bit of advice before leaving to die, his advice to Zenangar was to “teach his people the difference between cleverness and wisdom.”

The North Clan was founded by “the one who would become known as Nameforgot, from the great but doomed Shilevasa line.” When they hunted with Dostal, Nameforgot saw through an illusion sent by the sorcerer Yenfar to distract them by spotting a detail Yenfar had gotten wrong, learning the value of remembering all you see. Nameforgot was one of the two clan chiefs who doomed Hyalor by refusing to ride with Zenangar and Basikan to save him; unlike Stelfor, he did it “out of fear.” Hyalor's last advice to him was that “his failures would one day be redeemed, even if he himself would not. Everyone needs someone to blame.”

The West Clan was founded by “squat and muscular Stelfor, who was a Bayyasa.” When they hunted with Dostal, Stelfor didn't stay his hand when the wounded elk pleaded for mercy and cut its throat, learning the lesson that the hunter must strike without qualm. Stelfor also refused to ride to save Hyalor, but unlike Nameforgot it was out of malice: he wanted Hyalor to die so that he could try to conquer the other clans. When the dying Hyalor approached him, Stelfor knelt before him and wept, asking forgiveness. Hyalor embraced him, and his advice was that he “should not seek forgiveness, but grant it to others.”

The South Clan was founded by “Basikan, grandson of Hyalor, from the Vashyasa, root of all our clan's families.” The Vashyasa are named for Hyalor's eighth and last wife, Vashya, who was captured and mortally wounded by his enemy Yenfar the Capturer; the son she bore (presumably Basikan's father) survived, but she didn't, and this was the first of the Three Wounds that Hyalor eventually died from. During the hunt with Dostal, Basikan stopped Stelfor from rushing the wounded elk, telling him they should wait until it had sapped its strength, thus learning the lesson that “to catch your prize, be willing to wander.” He also tried to chase after Yenfar's illusion to catch the sorcerer but was dissuaded by Stelfor, and afterward he was the one who recognized that Dostal could have dropped the elk immediately and was just using it as a teaching exercise for them (though I suspect other clans would give that role to whichever founder is their own). Basikan rode with Zenangar to try to save Hyalor, but it failed without Nameforgot and Stelfor. Hyalor's last advice to him was that “curiosity meant nothing if it did not extend to the ways of other peoples – even enemies, even the forces of Water, who had killed him.”

The South Clan, of course, is the ancestor of all the clans who, as of Ride Like the Wind, have settled the furthest south, right at the northern banks of the Black Eel, just across the river from a bunch of Vingkotlings, which obviously fits in with Basikan apparently being the one most willing to wander and travel far, and who is characterized as being the most curious. Hyalor's advice to him, of course, is directly related to what will allow you to complete the game; you're pretty much obligated to explore and treat with the Vingkotlings and others to succeed as a clan, and the good ending is Beren and Redalda marrying and their two peoples mingling and learning from each other as friends.

The implication seems to be that the North Clan and Nameforgot were wiped out and serve as some kind of cautionary tale for the other Riders. At least part of it might be that they were too timid to range far enough away from the Glacier and some calamity (or series of calamities) occurred because of it.

I think that the East Clan founded by Zenangar were the line of Hyalorings that went on to produce Ulanin the Rider, who married Orgovale and founded the Orgovaltes tribe of the Vingkotlings (who, incidentally, will appear as "horse-riding Rams" who invade and either wipe out or assimilate you as a bad end if you screw up badly enough that Redalda doesn't marry a Beren). Ulanin is, after all, said to have come "from the east." I'm not sure if that means the Eastern Riders went as far as Prax or the Wastelands as people assumed, though I don't know enough to rule it out.

Stelfor's the one I'm least sure about, and is actually why I decided to lay this out and ask this question. Does anyone more versed in the West know what might have happened to the Western Riders, who seem to have been more warlike than the rest?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leingod said:

Stelfor's the one I'm least sure about, and is actually why I decided to lay this out and ask this question. Does anyone more versed in the West know what might have happened to the Western Riders, who seem to have been more warlike than the rest?

Something to do with the Gamatae, perhaps? They're supposedly a different group from the Hyalorings, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if one was ancestral to the other, or there was some intermingling at least. The Gamatae, having different dynasties ruling over different parts of Peloria at the Dawn (including Pelanda in the west), seems to imply warlikeness.

But I'm just speculating.

On 1/12/2019 at 8:41 AM, Sir_Godspeed said:

Are these stones very big?  I remember that Peloria is filled with various megalithic structures, like dolmens or something similar - so it might be a nod towards that? No idea, to be honest.

Blame the giants.  Their craftsmanship is awful and they just leave improv seats and tables lying around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2