jeffjerwin

Tell me of Sheng Seleris

12 hours ago, scott-martin said:

One combines all the best parts within himself and becomes an Orlanth.

There's that weird page of penciled notes on "A Westerner's View of the Lightbringer's Quest" that ends with the birth of a synthetic culture hero, called "zzabur" there, with five daddies and two mommies. This is how you forge a "we" from scattered selves. But in that scenario, it's possible that an archaic LBQ created a corporate "orlanth" to give all participants a stake in the shared enterprise. 

Take local forms -- a worlath and a humkt and an elmal and a hurumal or an orlantio -- season with desperation and stir. In the primeval west, a zzabur came out. In what becomes Dragon Pass, you now have an orlanth. They go different directions. Eventually a similar rite in Torang would give birth to a goddess later theologians would see scattered in various prefigurations across the past. In the far south, you have two necklaces, one that makes cities and one that doesn't scale that way. 

Harmast re-creates the orlanth cult and the parameters change. He's focused on the reconstruction of the fables (hi, rick, thanks as always) and not so much forging a new "us." As far as I know IFWW is not his concern. He knows who his We are. He has a ginna jar already in mind. What he wants is to emulate the part of the rite that is about the resurrection of the dead.

What he gets is an expanded Us, an entity new to him to change the game. From one perspective, this is a reconstruction or a resurrection of the hero who had already torn his way through Ralios. But then from one perspective, every LBQ is all about renewing the sun. Maybe it's originally an elf rite similar to what they have where HKE kisses the dryads and tickles every runner, rite of spring. Harmast was fighting a bright god and his intent brought back a dark one. Argrath is fighting an empire and brings back Sheng. 

I don't know how Sheng spends his Sacred Time. But I wonder now if that first "sun" the lightbringers preached in the dawn days was named orlanth, the new bright god and new generation to come. Some people accepted different parts of that revelation -- storm and sky and dark and earth and water circulated across first clans and then the continent, so you have pockets of what we'd now call "elmalites" and "orlanthites" across the pagan landscape. Some people were given a zzabur instead and followed that trajectory. 

"Monster" is a funny word. In the Holy Country it's just another I to help us Win. In the West it's krjalk, the devil. In the solar bowl it's the rustic uncle whose antics impede our career. In the East the hsunchen tribes seem to be the shock troops for the nefarious huan to scheming to bring down cosmic order. Nature itself. When Sheng comes back it's as the emperor of the "monsters." A classical orlanthite writer would just say "chaos." 

The shock of the new. This might be one of the deepest arcana of the Hero Wars period, or at least one of its gamier masks. You all are rocking. And around the time King of Sartar was new and melting fan minds, I had a great mormon friend who loved Joy Division and the Smiths, we would constantly mishear the word "mothers" in "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" as "ovens." It's a little biologically reductionist but hard truth: some girls' ovens are indeed bigger than other girl's mother's ovens.

Maybe Sheng is a woman.

47 minutes ago, scott-martin said:

I don't know how Sheng spends his Sacred Time. But I wonder now if that first "sun" the lightbringers preached in the dawn days was named orlanth, the new bright god and new generation to come. Some people accepted different parts of that revelation -- storm and sky and dark and earth and water circulated across first clans and then the continent, so you have pockets of what we'd now call "elmalites" and "orlanthites" across the pagan landscape. Some people were given a zzabur instead and followed that trajectory. 

Well there is the Solar Storm revelation, the god with the blinded third eye from Chen Durel.

He becomes enlightened and calms down, of course.

I wonder if Sheng's Pain Star in the sky was meant to become a 'fixed sun', an anti-Sun or reborn Yelm, with Yelm himself trapped in Hell forever? Or does Sheng's star move?

I suspect Sheng descends into Hell every Sacred Time.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, jeffjerwin said:

Solar Storm

Lots of weird elemental rough drafts up there in the unenlightened country, would not be surprised. Closer to home, something's got to be driving Storm Pent. Coincidence or sinister Hero Wars arcanum? I imagine the ultimate Monster Empire as the perennialist's worst nightmare . . . elements out of control, decadent cosmopolitism, the perversion of everything that made the Country Holy. Koyaanisqatsi.

The ultimate end of the Pain Star might indeed have been to replace Yelm forever, maybe something like how Shargash got up there. In that scenario someone like a Bijiif would have ascended on the last morning (I like your Kazkurtum reading for Sheng but don't know where that god lives during the day) and once again all the hells would empty out. 

As an aside I was re-reading the Perlesvaus for my KAP work and noted the use of the name "Widow's Son" for Perceval himself. There's some disagreement about Perceval's relationship to the Maimed King - sometimes, as in the Livre d'Artus, that Maimed King is his own father, Pellinor, who has been demoted from the status of father because of his 'living death' (subsisting like the Graal king/Roi Pescheur on the graal's 'food') and castration. Perceval's achievement of the Graal of course kills the Maimed and Graal Kings, or subsumes them into himself.

In the Perlesvaus the chief villains are the Black Hermit (an inverted, headhunting, diabolical ascetic) of the Waste Land and the King of Castle Mortel, the sinister brother of the Graal king himself, a wizard and usurper.

I cannot but help wonder if Greg found the term from his Arthurian studies.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, jeffjerwin said:

Perlesvaus for my KAP work

That's going to be amazing. My 90-year-old-lady mentor is absolutely in love with the fatherless boy and has been eagerly awaiting the Annotated Arthur a few years now. Still hoping she gets her copy. 

9 hours ago, scott-martin said:

There must therefore be a possibility of transforming group psychology into individual psychology; a condition must be discovered under which such a transformation is easily accomplished

Isn't that specifically one of the steps of creation in Draconic ontology?

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2018 at 7:26 PM, scott-martin said:

There's that weird page of penciled notes on "A Westerner's View of the Lightbringer's Quest"

Where?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, davecake said:

Where?

It's in the "Mortal Lords" playtest compendium  . . . obviously paracanonical at best now but I'll put the relevant bits together, buzz me if you don't hear back relatively soon. 

• Like 1

On a practical note, since I have to keep track of Lunar Cycles and the like for my game, when would have Sheng Seleris invaded the Moon in 1449? I presume it was either an auspicious date for himself or an inauspicious date for the Moon.

I am using the para-canonical Lunar Calendar from Under the Red Moon.

For inauspicious there is the final month of Moonset (Storm Season). For the majority of Sheng's host the act was a restoration of Yu-kargzant's domination over the Middle Air and Moon, which might suggest a Yelmic holy day.

Any ideas?

Edit: I think a possible day might be Week 34 of the Month of Suffering, on Nathaday/Fireday, which is a Yelmic holiday. It may denote the day Yelm was slain (it's a day after Humakt's High Holy Day, Deathday). This would be a dangerous day to fight SS for the Emperor (or call on the Bat)...

Edited by jeffjerwin
  • Like 1