Grandfather Baboon (Daka Fal) and Baboon Shaman

Moonface

I’m considering creating a baboon shaman for our group’s upcoming RQG campaign.  After reading through creating a baboon, it mentions that baboons worship Grandfather Baboon (Daka Fal) and that they start with a Beast Rune of 80%.  So the question that popped up is, does worshiping Grandfather Baboon change the Man rune for the cult’s rune spells to the Beast rune when determining which rune to use when casting cult rune spells.  Does anyone have any insight or suggestions?  Thanks!

• Like 1

In my current version of Grandfather Baboon for the Prax supplement, Grandfather Baboon is the same as Daka Fal. The Beast rune is not substituted for the Man rune. This is a fundamental axiom in Baboon society, they tend to be bestial, but to maintain a society need to be less so. A baboon adventurer with beast at 80% wil fall under GM prompting more often than not. A baboon shaman needs to act socially (with control), rather than bestially and do the alpha male thing. Monkey King is the ruling counterpart to this, he too needs to fight against his bestial nature to rule. The perfect baboon can balance these two things at 50%, but has to make an effort to do it.

So, baboon adventurers should consider buying down their beast rune during character generation. At 80% its easy to turn into a complete savage. This is why the baboon empire has gone, they lost some of their humanity in the Great Darkness. If melo yelo can do it so can you.

as an aside, look at the man/beast rune in the core book. Bear in mind that Daka Fal is the source of the Man rune and Hykim is the source of the beast rune. 

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 5

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

You could just make up your whole monkey cosmology. That's what we're doing in our current game. Right now we only have Grandfather, Ugly Teeth (death) and Jampy (illusion/disorder).

Make it up as you go, who cares what the books say (I do, but I like making stuff up as well).

121/420

2 hours ago, David Scott said:

In my current version of Grandfather Baboon for the Prax supplement, Grandfather Baboon is the same as Daka Fal. The Beast rune is not substituted for the Man rune.

Interesting. I guess that makes sense, but leaves baboon shaman characters with a lot less (30, to be precise) to work with on runes. Unless they can take Man as one of their 75% runes, wiping out the 80% entirely at no cost. The rules for non-human adventurer runes in the bestiary are a bit fuzzy. (No pun intended, but you're welcome)

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pentallion said:

Yeah, this thread.  YOUR official ruling as GM of YOUR game.

Sure ... everyone'sGMV.

Some folks put a higher priority on playing in very-canonical Glorantha, some lower priority.  Both ways are the Right Way to play!

Personally, I always prefer to know what the "canon" is, or says, about any given issue; I always feel free to alter it, but I like to know when I  AM  altering it!  But I don't get all OCD about it, either... If the info does't come readily to hand, I add to My Glorantha without worrying over canon.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

In the Bestiary when choosing an occupation as a Baboon, it says

"Either Troop Baboon (see below) or Assistant Shaman. The latter use the Beast Rune instead of Man" (Page 29)

I'm not sure in what other context it would be mentioned other than specifically being used for Daka Fal.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cwitten said:

In the Bestiary when choosing an occupation as a Baboon, it says

"Either Troop Baboon (see below) or Assistant Shaman. The latter use the Beast Rune instead of Man" (Page 29)

I'm not sure in what other context it would be mentioned other than specifically being used for Daka Fal.

Thanks Cwitten, that’s what I was looking for!  It’s funny that the info is in the same section that I had been looking at.  I guess I failed my Search roll.

Edited by Moonface