Hero Wars?

Grimmshade

In the current timeframe, the Hero Wars are well and truly started - A giant baby has sailed down the Zola Fel river and through Magasta's Pool into the underworld. The immortal God-King Belintar has been slain. A massive migration of trolls has travelled across dragon pass to disappear into the Castle of Lead. Orlanth and Ernalda were (temporarily) killed in Whitewall causing it to stay Winter for an entire year. A True Dragon was raised up to devour everyone at the consecration of the new Lunar Temple of the Reaching Moon. The Boat Planet has re-appeared in the sky for the first time in hundreds of years.

What happens next is up to you and your PCs. There are prophecies given in the Guide to Glorantha and elsewhere, but those can be considered more guidelines than a timeline. The book King of Sartar also details a number of events, but viewed as history from well into the fourth (or perhaps later) age.

I don't have a clear timeline of the "upcoming" events memorized, but two that I remember atm: Trolls are chewing a few glaciers loose in the far NorthWest, which will eventually float to and plug Magasta's Pool, causing a worldwide flood.  The Elves are plotting a massive ritual to re-seed their ancient forests, and regrow them effectively overnight at some point. 

There will be Chaos Floods from all the usual suspect places - Snakepipe Hollow and the Footprint, amongst others.

Basically, it's the end of the world - so you should feel free to have fun breaking things and smashing the place up however seems most entertaining to you.

Other more scholarly types can probably give you more detail on the canonical timeline and order of events, but I'd highly recommend using any future dates or events as suggestions rather than constraints.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Grimmshade said:

It sounds like the soon to arrive, apocalyptic Hero Wars are pretty important. Is there more info about them somewhere? As GM I'd like to prepare for what my PC's are in for.

Also King of Sartar.  The first section, the Annotated Argrath Saga, pretty much provides the whole outline from the Orlanthi/Argrathi point of view.

A version of the Argrath Saga is in the Guide to Glorantha.  The Guide also has several other fragments providing broader hints of the overall story.

Otherwise, the Hero Wars are already begun.  The Fall of Whitewall and the Great Winter mark the beginning.  The Dragonrise has just occurred which is the second great event.  And plenty more to come.

• Like 1

Don't worry about the timeline, KoS is probably just a bunch of documents specifically selected and edited by the Harshax's cronies to fit his vision of history anyways. YGMV, your players will drive the Hero Wars where they will and wherever that goes will be amazing.

Edit: In fact it would be kinda interesting if you could keep us updated on their directions, seeing things through the eyes of a group new to the setting would be interesting and I really want to see how your dragonewt and pyromancer players work out :P

Edited by Richard S.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Don't worry about the timeline, KoS is probably just a bunch of documents specifically selected and edited by the Harshax's cronies to fit his vision of history anyways. YGMV, your players will drive the Hero Wars where they will and wherever that goes will be amazing.

Edit: In fact it would be kinda interesting if you could keep us updated on their directions, seeing things through the eyes of a group new to the setting would be interesting and I really want to see how your dragonewt and pyromancer players work out :P

I will start a thread here once we start playing to let you know how our newbie Glorantha goes.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Grimmshade said:

I will start a thread here once we start playing to let you know how our newbie Glorantha goes.

I look forward to that. It sounds amusing (and I sincerely mean that in the best of ways).

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

On 10/3/2018 at 11:45 PM, Grimmshade said:

It sounds like the soon to arrive, apocalyptic Hero Wars are pretty important. Is there more info about them somewhere? As GM I'd like to prepare for what my PC's are in for.

The best source for the Hero Wars is King of Sartar. The second best source is the Guide to Glorantha.

Unfortunately, neither really is good as a template for scenarios. 

There were a series of supplements for HeroQuest, called Sartar Rising, that looked at some of the events of the Hero Wars and I thought they were pretty good. I used them in my River Voice Campaign that recently finished. However, I had to make a lot of stuff up and fill in a lot of gaps, for the other events. I based them on the information in King of Sartat and Guide to Glorantha.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here