Jump to content
Mechashef

Damage >= Double the Location's HP

Recommended Posts

P148 states:

Quote

An adventurer cannot take more that twice the possible points of damage in an arm or leg from a single blow.

So damaging a 2 point arm for 5 points brings the arm to -2 HP and subtracts 4HP from the adventurer's total HP.

It is implied that if the arm is hit again, more damage can be inflicted on the adventurer's total HP.  What is the limit?  If the arm is damaged for another 3 points in a subsequent attack does it now go to -5 HP and is another 3 points subtracted from the total HP?  

 

It does not stae that the head, chest or abdomen are limited to twice as much damage as their normal HP (however 3 times as much damage results in instant death).

Quote

If the head, chest, or abdomen suffers more than twice as much damage as the adventurer has hit points in that location, the adventurer becomes unconscious and begins to lose 1 hit point per melee round unless healed or treated with First Aid  

Does this mean that those locations can take up to ((3 times the normal HP for the location) minus 1 HP) in a single attack without instant death?

So an adventurer with 4HP for their head could take ((4X3) -1) = 11HP of damage to the head without instant death?

The example on P48 (2nd column) with Harmast seems to go against this.

He has a total of 10 HP and is hit to the head for 9 points of damage.  He has 4 HP for his head.  He is knocked unconscious but is left with 2 total HP, implying he only took 8 points of damage.  This is in keeping with the rule for arms and legs, not for head, chest or abdomen.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mechashef said:

The example on P48 (2nd column) with Harmast seems to go against this.

He has a total of 10 HP and is hit to the head for 9 points of damage.  He has 4 HP for his head.  He is knocked unconscious but is left with 2 total HP, implying he only took 8 points of damage.  This is in keeping with the rule for arms and legs, not for head, chest or abdomen.

Just going by my prior experience of RuneQuest, it looks like that example is wrong, he should have taken 9 points to his general HP leaving him on 1. The RQG rules also seem to imply this by stating only that limb damage is limited to 2x.

If they opened up the corrections thread, we could tell them, @MOB!

Edited by PhilHibbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks,

That would be my understanding too.

I am fully aware that some of the questions I'm asking (and will ask) seem to be noob questions, but I'm also aware that my interpretations of the rules may:

  1. Have always been wrong or
  2. Are correct for a previous version but not for RQG.

I'm trying to reset my mind back as if RQ was new and look at what is actually written, not what my memory is telling me is there.

Again, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mechashef said:

Thanks,

That would be my understanding too.

I am fully aware that some of the questions I'm asking (and will ask) seem to be noob questions, but I'm also aware that my interpretations of the rules may:

  1. Have always been wrong or
  2. Are correct for a previous version but not for RQG.

I'm trying to reset my mind back as if RQ was new and look at what is actually written, not what my memory is telling me is there.

Again, thanks.

 

I had the same question skimming the damage rules.

I am a noob and I've just hit the actual rules section of the book, so I'm sure I'll have loads of questions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

If they opened up the corrections thread, we could tell them, @MOB!

Will open the corrections thread after the next lot of updated PDFs are made available. These then will serve as the definitive documents for everyone to error-check from.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MOB said:

Will open the corrections thread after the next lot of updated PDFs are made available. These then will serve as the definitive documents for everyone to error-check from.

Do you have an ETA on that yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mechashef said:

Thanks,

That would be my understanding too.

I am fully aware that some of the questions I'm asking (and will ask) seem to be noob questions, but I'm also aware that my interpretations of the rules may:

  1. Have always been wrong or
  2. Are correct for a previous version but not for RQG.

I'm trying to reset my mind back as if RQ was new and look at what is actually written, not what my memory is telling me is there.

Again, thanks.

With you on that.  I have played any number of things wrong.  Some, even because when we realize we where wrong, we had came to like it anyway, and kept on being wrong.  But I do like realize the errors of my ways

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MOB said:

Will open the corrections thread after the next lot of updated PDFs are made available. These then will serve as the definitive documents for everyone to error-check from.

TYVM!

Is there a plan to maintain an "exactly as-printed" PDF locked-down & un-changing?

Will there also be a "most-current / Live Doc" (with subsequent corrections/errata/etc rolled-in)?  I don't mean one where every "erratum" goes in as soon as reported, but after a period of review & collation I presume sets of changes will be incorporated... Presumably there will be a "2nd Printing" with stuff not included in the 1st round of Tribal Edits?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, g33k said:

Will there also be a "most-current / Live Doc" (with subsequent corrections/errata/etc rolled-in)?  I don't mean one where every "erratum" goes in as soon as reported, but after a period of review & collation I presume sets of changes will be incorporated... Presumably there will be a "2nd Printing" with stuff not included in the 1st round of Tribal Edits?

I could see them doing like software companies do. Once they get the book "debugged" they could collect all the new errata and changes and then incorporate them into periodic updates and new editions. We could get RQG 2019, RQG 2020 and so forth. Maybe even with a discount for those who purchased the previous edition. They would never really have to, or need to, do another edition of RQ, either, just put any changes into the next update. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Atgxtg said:

I could see them doing like software companies do. Once they get the book "debugged" they could collect all the new errata and changes and then incorporate them into periodic updates and new editions. We could get RQG 2019, RQG 2020 and so forth. Maybe even with a discount for those who purchased the previous edition. They would never really have to, or need to, do another edition of RQ, either, just put any changes into the next update. 

That would be almost like...Avalon Hill?

image.jpeg.e9af096401ad9c59cfba727312ee7493.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

I could see them doing like software companies do. Once they get the book "debugged" they could collect all the new errata and changes and then incorporate them into periodic updates and new editions. We could get RQG 2019, RQG 2020 and so forth. Maybe even with a discount for those who purchased the previous edition. They would never really have to, or need to, do another edition of RQ, either, just put any changes into the next update. 

This is the way ADB updates their Star Fleet games. I like the model because things don't really go out of edition. Everything is still useable, and you can choose to buy an updated rulebook whenever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, styopa said:

That would be almost like...Avalon Hill?

image.jpeg.e9af096401ad9c59cfba727312ee7493.jpeg

EEk!

I was hoping more along the line of Harn, where we could print out the updates (and variants) for a ring binder and replace as needed.

 

Let's face it, the current RPG model for most companies is Print a Game, put out supplements for awhile, then do a new edition and repeat the process. Often, there are good reasons for a new edition-bug fixes, improvements ans such. Other times not so much.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

EEk!

I was hoping more along the line of Harn, where we could print out the updates (and variants) for a ring binder and replace as needed.

Let's face it, the current RPG model for most companies is Print a Game, put out supplements for awhile, then do a new edition and repeat the process. Often, there are good reasons for a new edition-bug fixes, improvements ans such. Other times not so much.

I wouldn't say EEK at all.  I mean, yes, I did use ASL because invoking AH here is nigh-unto mentioning Mephistopheles, but I *like* the premise of a 3-ring binder with updates.

Hell, at the very least it would LAY OPEN when you want it to, something a normal bound book won't.  That's why if/when I print a big rules pdf from somewhere, I have it spiral bound...omg the rulebook-envy that prompts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I see the attraction of being able to do a pagewise update (e.g. 3-ring binder) I find myself entirely unenthusiastic about any of the prospects offered.  If I really love a game, I tend to play the hell out of it, including using the books pretty hard.  Back in my student days, I never had a 3-ring binder survive a school-year; most needed replacing on a per semester or even quarterly schedule.  Some of them chewed through the punched holes & began losing pages, before I even realized they were failing.  Spiralbound books also suffer in the Durability Dept.

I just don't want to do that much physical maintenance on my RuneQuest, TYVM!   (not that I think there's ANY evidence that Chaosium (with their top-tier-product vibe) might take this path)

YGMV

p.s. -- I recall TSR doing the "Monstrous Compendium" thing in 3ring for a while, but I think they abandoned the idea and haven't looked back...  As a datapoint & fwiw.

 

Edited by g33k
spiralbound
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, styopa said:

I wouldn't say EEK at all.  I mean, yes, I did use ASL because invoking AH here is nigh-unto mentioning Mephistopheles, but I *like* the premise of a 3-ring binder with updates.

Hell, at the very least it would LAY OPEN when you want it to, something a normal bound book won't. 

And page protectors can make it fluid resistant, reducing the risks of spilled soda on a rulebook.

5 hours ago, styopa said:

 

That's why if/when I print a big rules pdf from somewhere, I have it spiral bound...omg the rulebook-envy that prompts.

And it could make it easy to use alternate rules. They could sell PDF updates online and we could swap out sections to customize things. For example, they could do a DEX ranked initiative system for those who don't like Strike Ranks and people could just swap out those two pages. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mechashef said:

Thanks MOB.  I shall hold off my questions until the next corrections have been released as I'm sure many have already been addressed.

We are planning to release updated PDFs of RQG, the Bestiary and the Gamer Screen Pack soon. If you previously bought any of these, you'll be able to download them from your Chaosium account or your DTRPG account. When the updates have been released I will note it on BRP Central.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Grimmshade said:

So is the correct answer that the example is wrong? Is that the way previous editions worked?

Yes, General HP damage to head, chest, or abdomen has always been unlimited.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MOB said:

We are planning to release updated PDFs of RQG, the Bestiary and the Gamer Screen Pack soon. If you previously bought any of these, you'll be able to download them from your Chaosium account or your DTRPG account. When the updates have been released I will note it on BRP Central.

Will there be a log of changes? As someone who uses the rulebook rather than the pdf it's a bit annoying if I have to hunt through to find the changes from the print version.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, d(sqrt(-1)) said:

Will there be a log of changes? As someone who uses the rulebook rather than the pdf it's a bit annoying if I have to hunt through to find the changes from the print version.

I agree. I generally go through and change my hardcopies with sticky notes, as I don't like PDF as my main rules source.

Change logs are very much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just read the damage section thoroughly and have a few questions:

1) The general HP won't take more than twice what a limb can take in a single limb hit, but what about the limb? Do you track the entire damage total in the limb?

2) Are the Double and Triple hit location results per total location HP lost, or on a per hit basis? (Is an arm severed after multiple hits that take it to -triple the total?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, there's a slight contradiction between the "exceeds double" and "exceeds triple":

Quote
  • Limb: An adventurer cannot take more than twice
    the possible points of damage in an arm or leg
    from a single blow... the remaining 1 point of
    damage is ignored

This implies that the "Exceeds triple" is not possible. Clearly that is incorrect. Also, both sections talk exclusively about "in a single blow", it is unclear what happens if a limb is whittled away by more than 3 times its HP.

Edited by PhilHibbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grimmshade said:

Just read the damage section thoroughly and have a few questions:

1) The general HP won't take more than twice what a limb can take in a single limb hit, but what about the limb? Do you track the entire damage total in the limb?

Traditionally, no. The limb only takes up to twice rated damage, damage beyond that are ignored for that hit.

 Some house rules that I've played in had the remaining move to the next hit location.

1 hour ago, Grimmshade said:

2) Are the Double and Triple hit location results per total location HP lost, or on a per hit basis? (Is an arm severed after multiple hits that take it to -triple the total?)

As what you have in RQ are actual hit points in a location, then it would be total. Additional damage to that location is removed from Total HP. A single blow that results in Triple or more damage compared to the locations HP rating is severed or irrevocably maimed.

SDLeary

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...