Sign in to follow this  
Quackatoa

Who's the Orlanthi deity of...

The cult of Eurmal Odorous has a strong affinity with cabbages and sprouts. Provides the Trickster "flight" spell. Eating cabbages or sprouts can increase duration. 

On 10/11/2018 at 4:59 PM, Jeff said:

Thanks to the diligent work of Claudia Loroff working out recipes from across the lozenge, we have discovered that Genertela does not have the potato.

The blue moon associations of the potato must relate to the Artmali and the Veldang, then. 

On 10/11/2018 at 2:17 PM, Joerg said:

Given the origin in Peloria,

Wouldn't it come from Pamaltelan mountains (as the analog to the Andes)?

Voyages to the southern continent have been going on for hundreds of years beyond what the RW had, so they, too, should have spread around the lozenge.

I was aiming for a Lunar starch-providing tuber that would be used by a cult like Teelo Norri for alm feedings, and not necessarily the underground root nodes of something resembling the tomato.

We know that the Teelo Norri cult did provide alm feedings before Hon-eel brought back maize. The Seven Mothers "potato" bread notion in the Seven Mothers cult write-up would be that plant, that the locals - who might have heard about the Veldang tubers, possibly via Zaranistangi contacts - would have named a different plant whose produce somehow resembles what they were told about the potato. And that's why I thought about reed rhizome knots.

If the potato proper has a Veldang origin, it would obviously have its origin on the surface of the planet/moon Veldara.

6 minutes ago, Joerg said:

a different plant whose produce somehow resembles what they were told about the potato. And that's why I thought about reed rhizome knots.

The Blue Moon resurrection mystery in Arcane Lore points to a plant that can propagate from discarded buds, allowing it to be consumed and then miraculously restore itself in the grave without benefit of normal fertility rites. A rhizome would do just as well. If this "devil's parsnip" happens to have psychoactive parts, bonus. They say it came from the moon and grew in its wreckage. It probably doesn't grow well elsewhere without substantial investment.

Actual "potato" content in Teelo Norri bread [die Brösel-Botschaft] may only be symbolic at this point, in remembrance of the meal Jakaleel prepared for them before things got intense. But someone who collects enough of the real thing and cooks it right can work wonders.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Joerg said:

I was aiming for a Lunar starch-providing tuber that would be used by a cult like Teelo Norri for alm feedings, and not necessarily the underground root nodes of something resembling the tomato.

We know that the Teelo Norri cult did provide alm feedings before Hon-eel brought back maize. The Seven Mothers "potato" bread notion in the Seven Mothers cult write-up would be that plant, that the locals - who might have heard about the Veldang tubers, possibly via Zaranistangi contacts - would have named a different plant whose produce somehow resembles what they were told about the potato. And that's why I thought about reed rhizome knots.

If the potato proper has a Veldang origin, it would obviously have its origin on the surface of the planet/moon Veldara.

Ah, like how Americans call maize "corn", a term historically used for any edible grain/cereal in Europe. Or how some Americans call sweet potato "yams", while the yams is actually a different tuber altogether.

Or, I guess potentially, how Christianity sort of just went with that the fruit at the center of Eden was an apple, whereas it's never actually specified in the Bible.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed