Jump to content

Noobs making characters


Recommended Posts

I thought I'd make threads about my Runequest Glorantha noob group's progress through the game. We are new to Glorantha, fairly new to Runequest (I owned the original 2e, and ran some 6e), but we aren't new to RPG's (I've been playing since late 70's)

Tonight we made characters. It took forever! The background part was really fun, but too most of the time. My wife decided to play a death knight sort of undead hunter character rather than a necromancer like she originally wanted. My brother in law made a human thief from Pavis instead of the duck he was thinking about. My sister made a Lhankor Mhy from Sartar, and my friend made a centaur hunter.

We didn't finish the centaur. The Bestiary says that you can make non-humans with it, but it gives pretty crap advice for doing such. I didn't know what to include and what not to. High Characteristics for the centaur seemed to heavily outweigh any negatives for being a centaur. I allowed him to run through the background rolls with the rest of the group, because we figured his family could have been mercenaries in Sartar or something. In the end I had to tell him I'll research the rules more to figure out what he gets.

The thief seemed happy but wanted to be from Pavis, which feels like it should be separate from the other Prax tribes/clans. I ended up allowing him to mostly use Sartar as a base since that's where the book says Pavis original population came from.

I don't think the Lhankor Mhy philosopher player is going to be happy with sorcery. The spells begin with very low percentages.

The undead hunting Humakt heavy infantry warrior worked out well, even though it took some effort to get a decent Greatsword skill level. 

We didn't pick spells yet, and a couple other things need to be double checked. 

It late now, I'll write more tomorrow if I think of anything else. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Joerg said:

You'll discover the disadvantages of playing a centaur as soon as you have any inside scenes in your adventure. Your centaur player better had a sidekick for such situations.

"...you need to climb a rope to get out of the 30' deep pit..."

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Joerg said:

You'll discover the disadvantages of playing a centaur as soon as you have any inside scenes in your adventure. Your centaur player better had a sidekick for such situations.

Or a block and tackle, as my Centaur PC used to carry with him at all times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, womble said:

Did they also carry  a skyhook from which to hang the rigging?

The other PCs would hammer hooks into walls and so on. He also had a mean arbalest that he could use to punch a rope into the wall of a cave and then use the block and tackle with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I remember reading that Pavis may be getting a RQG update, so the character gen will likely be specific for Pavasites it when it does.

Until then I would mix templates by using Sartarite as a cultural base, and using Praxian Family History Background. It is fitting a square into a triangle, but it could work.

The original RQ2 Pavis book was great, but if anyone is after just narrative content then the HeroQuest book 'Pavis: Gateway To Adventure' is even better in many respects.  It is still canon and very useful. The artwork in particular is consistent to the setting, unlike RQ2 Pavis which had an  excellent ancient looking scenes mixed in with occasional medieval characters, the result of one artist getting it right, and another doing his own thing.

I would get a pdf copy of the HQG Pavis book while waiting for a RQG version. 

I'm sure the RQG version will draw heavily from the HQGversion in terms of content and artwork, although the timeline will also need to be advanced to 1625 ST. 

Edited by Mankcam
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mankcam said:

I think I remember reading that Pavis may be getting a RQG update, so the character gen will likely be specific for Pavasites it when it does.

I'm hoping for a preview containing the family background tables as soon as it's in a usable state!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2018 at 6:52 AM, Grimmshade said:

We didn't finish the centaur. The Bestiary says that you can make non-humans with it, but it gives pretty crap advice for doing such. I didn't know what to include and what not to. High Characteristics for the centaur seemed to heavily outweigh any negatives for being a centaur. I allowed him to run through the background rolls with the rest of the group, because we figured his family could have been mercenaries in Sartar or something. In the end I had to tell him I'll research the rules more to figure out what he gets.

I have a centaur in my group too. We just imagined he was an adventurous sort and used the Sartar background tables.It worked well. Disadvantage - high Beast rune and size.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, David Scott said:

I have a centaur in my group too. We just imagined he was an adventurous sort and used the Sartar background tables.It worked well. Disadvantage - high Beast rune and size.

Did you use a culture template for skills, or skip that part since they get the centaur base skills?

So, for instance, Sartar skills, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...