Sign in to follow this  
Anunnaki

Dorastor, Post-Ralzakark

So, I was reading the Glorantha Sourcebook and came across this sentence (p.41): "In Dorastor, the Chaotic Lunar ally Ralzakark was slain by the Orlanthi hero Oddi the Keen." This is during the immediate aftermath of the Dragonrise of 1625.

Assuming this means Dorastor is now "sans Ralzakark" what does this mean for that chaos-infested province?

Are there any other canonical references related to this in other publications? (I am still playing catch up on thirty years of Glorantha, so my apologies if I have missed something along the way.)

Edit: I just found the reference to Halhgrim's War in the GtG, Vol. 1, p.344. That looks to be an expedition that began in 1523, so perhaps Ralzakark met his end at the hands of Oddi prior to the Dragonrise?

Edit Edit: And this assumes that "Big R" is in fact dead-dead and not coming back.

Edited by Anunnaki
  • Like 1

Ralzakark is mentioned as being killed in Cults of Terror (although it's not clear whether it's the Ralzakark or the Ralzakark of the Scorpion Arm).

Whom Oddi killed then is not the Real Ralzakark.

In Lords of Terror, a possible future history is outlined (doubly post-canonical). Oddi wars against the Appeasers with the intention of driving them out of Talastar and provoking Ralzakark into a war with the Lunar Empire.  Since he started his reign as an Appeaser, this is taken as a sign of his spiritual turmoil. He succeeds in 1629.

Oddi then goes to his clan chiefs and tells them he wants to face Ralzakark alone.  The clan chiefs refused and Oddi was forced to admit that he wanted to plunder the Lunar Empire with Ralzakark's hordes.  The clan chiefs having succumbed to brain fever then swore to follow him.  What happened to the Bilini-Dorastor invasion is unknown but the Bilini probably perished.  Oddi then returned to Dorastor and killed Ralzakark (for real this time) at the cost of his own life and Ironbreaker.

• Like 1

Quote from Oddi the Keen's shade in the Underworld:

"If you've killed one Ralzakark you've killed them all, but only if you use Ironbreaker.  I should know; I had to do it twice."

It is worth noting that Ralzakark became the Red Emperor during the Monster Empire phase.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anunnaki said:

Assuming this means Dorastor is now "sans Ralzakark" what does this mean for that chaos-infested province?

It is not.  Remember that Ralzakark is a hero-level figure and heroes can return from death.  That's of course assuming that Oddi really killed the 'real' Ralzakark and not just one of the masks of Ralzakark (which seem to regularly appear).  

As Darius noted and as seen in the Guide in the Cryptic Verses of the Yellow Calendar, Ralzakark becomes the Red Emperor and is quite likely one of the incarnations of Arkat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darius West said:

Quote from Oddi the Keen's shade in the Underworld:

"If you've killed one Ralzakark you've killed them all, but only if you use Ironbreaker.  I should know; I had to do it twice."

It is worth noting that Ralzakark became the Red Emperor during the Monster Empire phase.

I read somewhere that Ralzakark eats and possibly rapes Jar-Eel, is that from older material?

Please ignore my "assumptions" about Ralzakark and perma-death. Please continue! I am finding this information fascinating (references as well, please, if you are able -- I enjoy the reading).

From the Forgotten Secrets of Glorantha Sandy talks about how Razalkark puts together a Sky Terror.

I think rumors of Razalkark's demise have been greatly exaggerated.  Or to quote Casablanca: "We've read five times you were killed.  In five different places."  "As you can see, it was true every single time."

Edited by Pentallion
  • Haha 1

Which Ralzakark was killed? As he has multiple bodies/avatars, the death of one might hurt him a bit, but it won't destroy the entire entity.

As the author of the verses in the Cryptic Verses of the Yellow Calendar, working from the illustration art guide notes, I must note that that they are cryptic...

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 3