Jason Durall

RuneQuest Core Rules Questions

On 12/2/2018 at 12:30 AM, Chaos said:

Jason Durall -

I appreciate your offer to answer questions about the RuneQuest Core Rules!

My friends and I recently started a new campaign, so it is great to be able to ask one of the authors about the rules. Of course, there is always Rule Zero (the GM is always right) and YGMV (Your Glorantha May Vary), but it is nice to know what the game designer intended for a particular situation.

Happy to be of help, though it's always a balancing act between getting stuff done on new material and spending time on the forum! :)

One meta-question, is this thread only for you to answer questions, or is it for anyone to answer? I see some other helpful people answering questions already, but sometimes it is confusing to have both your "official" answers along with other people's answers in the same thread.

This thread, as stated prior, is for official answers. However well-meaning the other posters are, they're not supposed to be posting here with anything other than questions. The whole rest of the forum is good for that. 

Here's my first actual rules question. I have the 2018-10-10 version of the PDF.

p.215

Are Leather Vambraces ENC 0, or should they be ENC (2), as per Leather Greaves? All the other Leather armor increased from ENC 0 after the 2018-07-01 version of the PDF.

They should be (2). 

On 11/29/2018 at 9:15 AM, Tupper said:

Do Runelords always need a Charisma of 18?

No, but almost all human Rune Lord cults do. 

The core book deals exclusively with human adventurers. 

The core book, page 280, says "They [Rune Lords] must possess a CHA of at least 18".  However, some cults (e.g. Humakt, Kyger Litor, and Zorak Zoran) mention this requirement specifically in their cult write-ups, suggesting that it may not be a requirement across all cults.  

It is clarified where it seems necessary. 

In particular, this requirement is a problem for Tusk Riders (and some breeds of trolls) who cannot achieve a CHA of 18 (due to having 1D6 or 2D6 for CHA).  

The requirements for the Leaders (Bloody Tusk Rune Lords) do not include CHA. See page 70 of the Glorantha Bestiary for more info. (available in .pdf, soon in stores!) 

For Kyger Litor, becoming a Karrg's Son (Rune Lord) requires a CHA 18+, which pretty much limits it to Mistress Race and dark trolls. It is much easier to become a priestess in this cult, with no CHA requirement. 

For a Death Lord in the Zorak Zoran cult, the requirement is the same. 

In the adventure booklet, Xiobalg is described as "ready to claim Rune Lord status on his return to the Ivory Plinth", yet he has a Charisma of 4, suggesting the CHA 18 requirement might not apply to the cult of the Bloody Tusk.

See above. 

It's not intended to be equitable: these harsh gods want the most charismatic leaders to serve in positions of power within their ranks. 

That said, it is ultimately your RuneQuest, your Glorantha. An exceptional character can potentially have the requirements waived through notable service to the god and/or the cult, or through some other exemplary attributes. 

• Like 1

Here's a question about the Results of Damage. I have the 2018-11-13 version of the PDF.

p.146-147

"When an adventurer has taken enough damage to reduce their total hit points to 0 or less, then the adventurer dies at the end of the current melee round unless healed or otherwise brought to positive hit points."

This seems like a good way to allow for last-second healing. However, this might not provide any benefit, since the healer would need to declare their actions during their Statement of Intent (p.192), before the damage occurs.

Only an adventurer who spends their time proactively preparing to heal will be able to heal their ally before the end of the current melee round.

I am wondering if this rule might instead mean the adventurer dies the end of the NEXT melee round, which would provide an opportunity to heal?

Alternatively, is there some way to change actions to heal instead during a melee round? This might not help either, especially in the case of damage on Strike Rank 12. This could occur with Aimed Blows (p.197), multiple attacks, or slow combatants.

Any insight you can provide into your intentions would be most appreciated.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chaos said:

Any insight you can provide into your intentions would be most appreciated.

RuneQuest combat is deadly and always carries the risk of an unlucky roll finishing off a PC. However come common sense is required on behalf of the GM. If a last second attack just took your final few HP, most GM's would allow the Heal the following round. Not so if your PC was sliced in two.

Resurrection is also not that uncommon, so death may not be final.

Page: 28

In Step 2 it says to roll for your grandparent's occupation twice.

2.1. "Roll for your grandparent’s occupation on the Occupation table, or pick a result"

And again in 

2.2. "Use the Occupation table to choose or randomly determine your grandparent’s and parent’s occupations"

Is this errata? I think if you ignore the grandparent part in 2.1 it works as you then have an occupation for your grandparent and parent. Unless I've gotten something wrong.

Edited by Scout
  • Like 1

In the Gloranthan Bestiary:

Wyters spend POW instead of Rune Points to cast spells. 

Do they have a means of recovering POW other than normal POW gain rolls? If so what is it, if not what is their POW gain roll?

(if they can not recover Rune Points more quickly, that would seem to make using the POW of a Wyter that way a desperation move for a community)

Some of the wyters also have a separate number of Rune Points listed - what does this mean, if they don't use Rune Points to cast spells?

When RuneQuest Sorcery specifies that your knowledge of a sorcery spell is limited by your Read/Write skill (pg 388), does this mean the language your written copy of the spell is written in, or just your highest language skill of any kind? If the former, how easy is translation? 

(particularly thinking of Pavis here, who has grimoires written in Auld Wyrmish to which can't be learnt by humans at more than 25%, but it is a good question for Lhankor Mhy sages reading Western or Lunar sources as well). 

4 hours ago, davecake said:

(particularly thinking of Pavis here, who has grimoires written in Auld Wyrmish to which can't be learnt by humans at more than 25%, but it is a good question for Lhankor Mhy sages reading Western or Lunar sources as well). 

IIRC, Spoken Auld Wyrmish can't be known by humans at more than 25% but written form can.

Kloster

RuneQuest - Roleplaying in Glorantha, p.351, right column

Section Tools of the Shaman

• Drums that evoke the sounds made during the cre-
    ation of the Spike (see Axis Mundi on page 318).

The reference to p.318 points to the Rune Spell Axis Mundi, which does not mention the Spike at all.

p.354,  top of the right column displays a boxed text with the title Axis Mundi. Am I correct, that this boxed text should be referenced in the Tools of the Shaman text instead of the Rune Spell of the same name?

(Yes, from my point of view this is a major printing error and should go into a correction thread, but all available correction threads are currently closed, so I have to ask here, if I'm right ...)

• Like 1

Page: 28

In Step 2 it says to roll for your grandparent's occupation in 1 and again in 2 (along with your parent's).

"Roll for your grandparent’s occupation on the Occupation table, or pick a result"

And

"Use the Occupation table to choose or randomly determine your grandparent’s and parent’s occupations"

Is this errata?

Page 149: Example (2nd column second example)

"Her skill in First Aid is 20%. Sorala gets a 4 on the first injury, a special success! Rather than the normal 1D3 for a success, Sorala heals 1D3+3 hit points"

Special success heals 2d3, not 1d3+3 (that's a critical success)

• Like 1

Page 152: In Sight (end of paragraph)

"The gamemaster may choose to change the time scale from melee rounds to"

The sentence seems incomplete.

27 minutes ago, Scout said:

Page 152: In Sight (end of paragraph)

"The gamemaster may choose to change the time scale from melee rounds to"

The sentence seems incomplete.

This is already fixed in the latest version of the PDF:

"The gamemaster may choose to change the time scale from melee rounds to combat turns, if desired."

46 minutes ago, Oracle said:

This is already fixed in the latest version of the PDF:

Just downloaded the pdf from drivethru and the error is still in it.

Edited by Scout
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Scout said:

Just downloaded the pdf from drivethru and the error is still in it.

I do not know, if DriveThru is updated regularly, but in the PDF from Chaosium's website (i.e. if you have bought it from there) this error is fixed.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Oracle said:

I do not know, if DriveThru is updated regularly, but in the PDF from Chaosium's website (i.e. if you have bought it from there) this error is fixed.

That's what I was thinking. Hopefully it will be updated before long. 

Thanks for the reply

Another question about casting Sorcery spells.  In one of our game sessions, our sorceror wanted to change how  the intensity of a spell he was casting was allocated between strength, duration, and range, after he had started casting.  I allowed it for that session, but said I was going to review the rules, and come up with a final ruling between sessions.  After reading and thinking about it, I ruled that, because the sorceror is in a semi-trance while casting, the range, duration, strength and target all had to be specified in the statement of intent of the round when the casting would start, and could not be changed after that.  He could, per the rules, abort the spell at any time, but he could not change those parameters.  The player was ok with the range, duration, and strength being fixed at the start of casting, but feels he should be able to change the target during the statement of intent of the round when the spell would take effect.  He feels that, because sorcery takes so long, if the target shoud be killed, incapacitated, or moved out of range before the spell went off, he should be able to change the target, rather than have to have wasted all the time spent casting the spell.

So the question is, what is the intent of the rules on this?  Can the spell target be changed after the sorceror has started casting the spell? Or, for that matter, can how the intensity of the spell is allocated between range, duration, and strength be changed after casting has started?

Edited by Marc
  • Like 2

The cost of a variable Spirit Magic spell is stated per point (eg Heal is "50 L per point"). Do you have to buy each point separately (so Heal 1 costs 50 L, Heal 2 costs 100 L, Heal 3 costs 150 L, for a total outlay of 300 L), or do you just spend the cost of the new point(s) every time you learn a more effective version of the spell (so Heal 3 costs 150 L total, but only costs 50 L if you already know Heal 2)?

I got to my first Sacred Time in my Dorastor game. They've all survived the first year: I'm going to have to be nastier to them.

However, that is by the by. I was prepared for them to grump but not for the point at which they complained. 

They make, in a normal year, just enough to maintain their standard of living. The Warriors make 60, the noble makes 200. 

Then they pay tithes.

Then they pay cost of living. 

Which means they are ten percent short each average year on what they need to pay Cost of Living and have to dip into reserves.

Is that what's intended?

And can single people without families pay less than the rate of Cost of Living which is supposed to maintain a household?

• Like 3

On 11/18/2018 at 2:04 AM, Jason Durall said:

Correct. 

Incorrect. 

Here's the text on Splitting Attacks from page 202: 

If his skill was 101% naturally, then he could split his attack 50/51%, and as a GM I'd rule that the bonus would be split evenly, for two attacks at 150% and 151% 

300% for the first, -20% for each additional parry.  

The special and critical ranges are based on the modified chance, so if your Humakti's skill was at 100% because he was reducing other attackers' chances to hit, then he'd hit/special/crit as if his skill was 100%. 

You would add it in with the modifiers for Sword Trance, until either expires. Generally speaking, you can't pick and choose when magical modifiers come into play if they're both cast on the same item at the same time. 

His strike rank is 3 for his first attack, and 6 if he is able to attack again. 

Don't forget the strike ranks for casting the spells, in the initial rounds they're being cast. Unless he's casting Sword Trance before the battle, it's going to take 1 strike rank for the Rune spell + 19 strike ranks for the magic points. So that spell takes him a full combat round and an additional six strike ranks into the next. He'll need to cast Bladesharp for even more strike ranks. Hopefully an opportunistic foe won't see what he's up to and attempt to disrupt him or throw off his concentration. 

Where can I find the rule about concentrate in the ruleboook? Mentioned in the last sentence of this post.

Edited by Roy

14 hours ago, Michael Cule said:

They make, in a normal year, just enough to maintain their standard of living. The Warriors make 60, the noble makes 200. 

Then they pay tithes.

Then they pay cost of living. 

Which means they are ten percent short each average year on what they need to pay Cost of Living and have to dip into reserves.

Think of tithes as taxes.

If I make enough to get by, but don't have enough to pay my taxes, I am in big trouble, it effectively means I don't make enough.

Take off tithes first, then Cost of Living, anything left over is yours.

What your PCs need to be earning is tithes plus Cost of Living, so at least 1.11 x Cost of Living.

7 minutes ago, soltakss said:

What your PCs need to be earning is tithes plus Cost of Living, so at least 1.11 x Cost of Living.

His point was exactly that: a warrior makes 60L (p.71) a year and has a SOL of 'free', i.e., 60L, so he can't maintain his SOL while paying his tithes/taxes. Same with a Noble, on p.405 it says that after giving their share to the tenants the noble earns about 200L a year, and his SOL is 200L, so after paying tithes he can't maintain his SOL.

11 hours ago, Roy said:

Where can I find the rule about concentrate in the ruleboook? Mentioned in the last sentence of this post.

p.247 under "active spell."

54 minutes ago, drablak said:

His point was exactly that: a warrior makes 60L (p.71) a year and has a SOL of 'free', i.e., 60L, so he can't maintain his SOL while paying his tithes/taxes. Same with a Noble, on p.405 it says that after giving their share to the tenants the noble earns about 200L a year, and his SOL is 200L, so after paying tithes he can't maintain his SOL.

For me, the bolding I have added to the reply is important. Cost of Living is after any share is given away. tithing is a share and must be given away before Cost of Living.

• Confused 1