RuneQuest Core Rules Questions

On 10/1/2020 at 6:58 PM, Gamesmeister said:

If my character has bound a spirit and it knows a spell that I want to use, who's POW is used to cast the spell - my character's or the spirit's?

Same question for an allied spirit

The adventurer's POWx5 is used if the adventurer is casting the spell. If the spirit or allied spirit casts the spell, its their POWx5.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a thread whose purpose is specifically to collate questions to (potentially) address in future Rune Fixes columns, or as official corrections.  Please post your entries in the form of sim

We're working on one. 

Posted Images

On 10/1/2020 at 7:55 PM, Baron Wulfraed said:

Experience Rolls (page 415)...

On 10/1/2020 at 7:55 PM, Baron Wulfraed said:

If the roll, as modified by the appropriate skills category modifier, is higher than the adventurer’s current skill ability, the adventurer improves their rating in that skill. A modified roll of 100 or more is always a success—as a result, adventurers can improve most abilities beyond 100%.

Does "current skill ability" mean the effective %ile (what would be scored as a success when using the skill -- ie; includes the category modifier) or does it mean the skill core %ile without the category modifier?

Without the category modifier.

• Confused 1
On 4/29/2020 at 11:02 AM, Brootse said:

Do the variable Spirit Magic Spells have to be learned one point at a time? Say, if you have no Bladesharp, and want to learn Bladesharp 4, does it take four weeks or only one?

One week.

On 4/23/2020 at 5:56 PM, gochie said:

Can you combine rune points from more than one god/cult when casting a common rune spell?

I.e. I have 4 RP with Ernalda and 4 RP with Orlanth; Can I use all 8 RP to cast Dismiss Magic 8?

No, although your GM may rule otherwise.

On 4/23/2020 at 7:26 PM, Akhôrahil said:

And perhaps a bit more complicated, can you cast one spell using the Rune Points from one cult, and add Extension for that spell but using another cult's Rune Points? 

No. but your GM may rule otherwise.

On 4/29/2020 at 7:00 PM, Dragon said:

Can I summon a specific known entity with the summon spells, or more precisely the Runic summon spells?

Yes, if your GM agrees that your adventurer has the correct information to do so.

When a Chalana Arroy casts Summon Healing Spirit, can the priestess pick a specific healing spirit she summoned sometime in the past? Can a Wind Lord summon a specific Flint Slinger using Summon Cult Spirit? Can an Engizi priest summon a specific naiad from the Creekstream River, or just a random one?

Yes, if your GM agrees that your adventurer has the correct information to do so.

Spirit Magic Summon (entity) specifically says random.

The first should be random. The spirit however may not give or be able to give you the information needed to summon it specifically again. If it is a spirit of place, you would likely need to be in the same place.

Edited by Scotty
On 4/23/2020 at 3:04 PM, allenowen said:

The Q&A pages don't really answer this definitively, but on pg 144 under Opposed Rolls, a tie means that the situation is unresolved. It does say whomever go the better result wins, which looks like a special success > normal success, crit. success > special or normal.

Yes.

On 4/23/2020 at 3:04 PM, allenowen said:

On pg 230, under Conflicting Rune, in the example in the right column, Vasana ties her Harmony and Air rune rolls, yet the Air rune is the winner. Opposed Rolls says she tied, but this rule seems to say the high roll wins, as in Pendragon.

The result is a tie under the opposed rules, but the player, for MGF, can choose the outcome for a roleplaying opportunity if the result is not immediately clear. The Harmast example on 144 has clear results.

On 5/4/2020 at 4:07 AM, Dragon said:

A few questions about Binding Enchantments.

RQG RiG, page 249 says: "Thus, a typical spirit binding enchantment requires a sacrifice of at least 2 points of POW (as spirits always have CHA and POW, and sometimes INT), while a binding enchantment for an elemental requires at least 3 points of POW (elementals always have SIZ, STR, and POW)." Which of the following is true?

1. The enchant is non-specific to the characteristics. That is, I enchant a binding for 3 statistics and then it can be used for a ghost (INT, POW, CHA) or an elemental (STR, SIZ, POW)?

Thus, if we defeat a Mallia shaman with a Binding Enchantment previously used for a Disease Spirit, can our High Healer use it to bind a Healing Spirit? We defeat a Seven Mothers priest with a Lune in a binding enchantment, can we bind an Umbroli in it or a Landscape Spirit?

yes, unless unless it has specific user conditions attached to it (page 251). I aways add only friendly cults to it (my players usually do the same). Prevents magical proliferation in games.

Also, I found another contradiction. From the quote above "as spirits always have CHA and POW". Yet the Bestiary says that Disease Spirits and Healing Spirits only have POW, no CHA. So either they should also have CHA, or RQG RiG show modify Binding Enchantment to allow "a sacrifice of at least 1 point of POW" for Disease or Healing Spirit bindings.

RQG, page 249 says: "a typical spirit binding enchantment requires a sacrifice of at least 2 points of POW"

Disease Spirits and Healing Spirits are atypical.

In the RQG Adventure Book, page 122, a Spirit Trapping/POW Storing Crystal can have a spirit bound into it. The description only deals with 'spirits' in a generic sense. Can I bind a Talosi or Selene into one? How about a Nyctalope or Nymph or Demon? RAW, it seems so, because there is no limitation based on number or which statistics.

yes.

Edited by Scotty
On 5/8/2020 at 7:46 PM, Gelrir said:

If I have Shield up, and my embodied Allied spirit is hit by a Befuddle spell, am I also Befuddled? And vice versa?

No, it's mind-to-mind communication, you are not part of a Gestalt unless your GM rules otherwise

Can my embodied Allied spirit cast (presumably helpful) spells on me ("through the ally (and vice versa)") without worrying about defensive magics such as Shield and Countermagic?

Yes, unless your GM rules otherwise.

On 5/8/2020 at 7:54 PM, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Would it matter if the Ally is in contact with you (say, in your Sword) or separate (in a bird)?

No, although spell ranges would matter.

Edited by Scotty
On 5/12/2020 at 5:31 PM, Pheres said:

Does Shimmer spirits spell works in spirit combat? And if yes how does it works?

No, "This spell blurs and distorts the target’s visual image", not spirit image. Your GM may rule otherwise.

• Thanks 1

Strike Ranks! They took me some time to wrap my head around. 

I decided to look at some of the pregenerated characters to get some help but some of them seems to be calcuated wrong? 

Vasana Farnan have a lance that is listed as having Strike Rank 6 but her Dex SR is 3 and her size SR is 2. The Lance has a sr of 0.
Then why is she listed as 6? should it be 5?

Yanioth Vareena is listed as having a dagger that strikes at 6

Her Dex SR is 2 and Size sr is 1. But a Dagger especially the type of damage it deals its sr is 4 so she could be at 7 no?

Its a thing I believe really could have used some more clarification :)

• 2 weeks later...

To clarify a previous response. 

If my character has bound a spirit, and I want to use some spirit magic known by that spirit, I have two options:

1) Cast the spell using my character's POW, and using his MPs

2) Have the spirit cast the spell, using the POW and MPs of the spirit. 

Is this correct?

If so, and in the case of the latter, does my character need to cast a Control spell and then release the spirit in order to do this, or can it cast the spell while bound? Also, would this be classed as my character's action for the round, or can the spirit cast the spell independently? 

Edited by Gamesmeister
On 10/19/2020 at 2:49 AM, Brootse said:

Can characers join multiple subcults during character creation?

(I'm pretty sure they can, yes; but I look forward to @Chaosium's reply; n.b. 1st cult you're presumed to have 3POW previously spent, but extra Cults will come off rolled POW...)

Presuming the answer is "yes," and expanding the scope a bit to "cult or subcult" -- can we get specific rules associated with this?  Do such characters get all the various Skills-bonuses associated with each cult and/or sub-cult?  That is to say, if each one specifies a similar bonus to the same skill, do BOTH bonuses apply, or only the 1st, or...?

As we go through the character-creation process, is there anything other than repeating Step 6 (choose cult) involved?

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, g33k said:

(I'm pretty sure they can, yes; but I look forward to @Chaosium's reply; n.b. 1st cult you're presumed to have 3POW previously spent, but extra Cults will come off rolled POW...)

Presuming the answer is "yes," can we get the specific rules associated with this?  Do such characters get all the various Skills-bonuses associated with each cult and/or sub-cult?  That is to say, if each one specifies a similar bonus to the same skill, do BOTH bonuses apply, or only the 1st, or...?

As we go through the character-creation process, is there anything other than repeating Step 6 (choose cult) involved?

seems to me, you'd not get the skill bonuses, you dont get the skill bonuses when joining cults during play. I guess you'd literally need to follow the rules for joining a cult from the cults chapter for secondary cults as anything else just results in wonky-ness :D

explanation would be that the benefits you get from your first cult, represent the training and teachings you've had longer to learn, your secondary cult(s) you're assumed to not have been a member for as long.

Edited by Blindhamster
elaboration
29 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

seems to me, you'd not get the skill bonuses, you dont get the skill bonuses when joining cults during play.

When I asked about this, it was the official answer (I think?) both for cults and subcults. Only works at character creation, where you only get the one cult and a maximum of one subcult.

• Like 1

What are the rules for Tridents? Would it just be a shortspear? or should it be different to that? I ask because water rune augments them and one of my players has water rune :D

Same question for whips!

And Nets!

And the Taste sense (what do you roll for it? is it a perception skill?)