Jason Durall

RuneQuest Core Rules Questions

On 10/24/2018 at 11:57 AM, Nick Brooke said:

Hi, Jason: let's say I successfully Befuddle a creature with zero INT. Can it attempt to shake off the Befuddlement? Per the rules on RQG p.257, it appears not (unless the creature knows how to Meditate, which seems frankly unlikely). Defeating a Befuddle spell is usually easier for low-INT victims, but it seems to be impossible for a zero-INT victim. Was this intended?

Rules as written state that you must roll INTx5 for a creature with no INT. There's always a 05% chance of success, though, and since this is a "roll higher than" effect that means that any roll of 06-00 will let the creature shake off the Befuddlement.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 10:47 PM, Balakatun said:

BEFUDDLE (p 256-257): "[...] A victim of Befuddle may not attack, cast an offensive spell, sound the alarm, and so on. However, if attacked, they may parry and defend at full value.. [...] Thus, with deceit or clever misdirection, a Befuddled opponent might end up attacking their own party for as long as the spell is in effect." 

Can one attack while under the effects of Befuddle? Fist entry indicates that no, it's not possible. Second entry indicates that it is.

That should be worded clearer. 

The "attacking" in the second instance should be "act against". 

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

And as a general note, my apologies for the quiet in this thread. I was traveling an insane amount during the last couple of months and off-the-grid for a distressing amount of it. 

Now that I'm settled back home for (at least) the next seven weeks, I'll see if I can get through questions here a few a day or in short bursts.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

On 1/31/2019 at 11:05 AM, PhilHibbs said:

What do you mean by those numbers?

If my chance is 100, and their chance is 5, then my special is 20, theirs is 1, so 20 times. My critical is 5 and theirs is 1, so 5 times. So 20 and 5 times, not 10 and 20 times.

My bad. Their chance of a special and a crit is 01 if their skill is reduced to 05%. As a GM I'd rule that a crit is impossible if the chance of a special overlaps it utterly. 

Answer not added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 1/31/2019 at 12:44 PM, Kloster said:

Hello Jason,

Does that mean there is a total 150% malus that will be applied to the broo's parry and his other actions? Does that means that if his attack is reduced by 50% (55 to 5% in your example), there is still 100% to be applied to his attack (that will also be reduced to 5%), leaving 55% malus to other possibilities?

I'd allow that, yes. 

Remember that these is not computer code, which break whenever some unknown factor is brought into play.

If, as a gamemaster, you are more comfortable making all numbers visible and letting player characters have skills (and specials/crits) in excess of 100%, by all means do so.

These are our recommendations. BRP and RQ have a long and distinguished history of house rules to suit desired styles and results of game mechanics. 

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 9:37 PM, Jim said:

Two questions on spirit combat:

1. In the “Resolving spirit combat” section it states “Tie: A tie (where both participants succeed but achieve the same quality of result) means the situation is temporarily unresolved. If both participants rolled a critical success, the result is a tie. Both parties do spirit combat damage to the other.”

Does this mean in a case of a tie (same quality of result) both parties do spirit combat damage to one another only on a critical, or in all cases of a tie?

On a critical. That's the order of the instructions. 

2. In the “Attacking with weapons and spells” section an attack is resolved normally but opposed by a the spirit’s spirit combat skill.

Does this mean an attacker rolls for the quality of the result based on their normal attack chance (i.e. they will get a crit, special, normal, fail, fumble) opposed by the spirit rolling for their quality of success based on their spirit combat skill? That is how I interpreted it, but if so on a tie does the spirit and/or corporeal entity take damage.? The example in the section shows a magic point reduction but not the opposed roll.

You have interpreted it correctly.

Answers added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 10/28/2018 at 7:52 PM, Michael Cule said:

A question about the minimum STR and DEX needed to use a weapon.

The rule on p 207 says: 

". . STR/DEX: The minimum necessary STR and
DEX required to handle the weapon. An excess
of STR makes up for a lack of DEX, on a 2 for 1
basis. Thus, an adventurer with a 10 STR and a
12 DEX can use a rapier (which requires a 7 STR
and a 13 DEX). If both STR and DEX are below
the requirements, all attacks and parries with the
weapon are performed at half skill."

Which is fine and dandy but what happens when a character has perfectly adequate DEX but not enough STR? Both being lacking halves the skill so it would be illogical for only one being lacking to make it entirely impossible to use the weapon. 

Half-skill. It should read "If either/or STR or DEX are..." 

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 10/28/2018 at 10:03 PM, Moonface said:

What are the rules for MOV speed when running?  As I recall, in previous editions, bipedal  runners moved MOVx2, quadrupeds moved MOVx4 and flyers could move as fast as their fly MOVx5.  Are there running rules in RQG?  I only found rules for chases, which doesn’t address the actual amount someone moves during a round.

Page 54, under ATTRIBUTES

"(8 meters walking or 24 meters running)" 

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 10/30/2018 at 12:46 AM, Scott A said:

Hi Jason! It's nice to have a place to get things clarified.

• Do the extra MPs added to Heal Wound count towards boosting the spell? Eg, if I cast heal wound and spent 5mp on it , would it count as a 2 point spell or a 7 point spell for the purposes of countermagic?

I would say yes, just like other spells where magic points are spent. 

• Is the countermagic/protection provided by Shield incompatible with Shimmer and Spirit Screen like the spirit magic equivalents are?

Yes. 

• How do you calculate the intensity of a Socery spell for the purposes of countermagic/dispel? As far as I can figure, the total intensity is 1 + the levels of intensity purchased, is that right?

That's correct. 

Answers added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 10/30/2018 at 7:13 PM, drablak said:

There are encumbrance rules, and ENC values for armor and weapons, but no ENC values for equipment. Will these be found in the GM's book or another supplement?

The RuneQuest Gamemaster Sourcebook.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 10:34 AM, Smokebadger said:

Basic question a starting adventurer has 3 rune points. Sever spirit is a 3 point spell does that take 1 or 3 of his starting rune points.  I’d say 3 but the rules seem to indicate 1. 

UPDATED: My original answer was incorrect. Apologies.

Adventurers get three Rune spells of their choice. Unless the spell has a higher cost than 1, the Rune spell's level is 1.

Answer added to Q&A 

Edited by Scotty
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 2/1/2019 at 2:48 PM, Marc said:
So, does it really mean that the MOV rate is the speed while running, and the speed while walking is 1/3 that?

1 MOV unit equals 1 meter when walking, and 3 when running. Generally players aren't concerned with their walking speed while in tactical situations, so 3 meters is the value given. 

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 11/12/2018 at 2:44 PM, drablak said:
  • Is the Dagger, Parrying, a different skill than the dagger (melee)?

Yes. 

• There is no mention, in the Javelin description on p.211, of the Throwing Javelin skill, I would have expected the same comment as the above quote in that context. Does someone with a javelin use the same skill for both melee and throwing then?

Separate skills. 

• Axe, small: same comment. It refers to its use in both melee and as a hurled weapon, no mention of a separate skill. Axe, Throwing even refers back to Axe, Small.
  • Spear, Long or Short: same thing.

Separate skills. 

So, in general, are there separate skills for throwing and for melee with the same weapon?

Yes. It's not explicit, but when get a cultural or professional skill bonus to a starting weapon (such as a javelin) that can be thrown or used in hand-to-hand, you start with both at the same skill. If you add points to them while customizing your character, you should assign those points to one or the other. 

If it is the case, do you get half-skill with the other method (say if you have 80% with the melee skill, do you get 40% with the throwing skill)?

See above. 

Answers added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 7:55 AM, Valeren said:

Acids :

I didn’t see any rule concerning acid damages. Could you please explain how they work?

The Campaign Guide (in development) covers alchemy and acids as something you can buy and use. For creatures with some form of acidic quality, the descriptions are in the Bestiary.

Generally, it works like poison, with a potency (POT) value that does damage over time, depending on the quality/nature of the acid. 

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 11/1/2018 at 11:29 AM, drablak said:

The rules on page 8 states the cycle of elemental runes as this

But the character sheet show a different relationship: Darkness, Water, Earth, Air, Fire/Sky.

It does not correspond to the pentagram relation: darkness then water, then earth, then fire, then air.

The only link I can make with the order on the character sheet is the first five days of the week. Is that the intent?

Go with the description on page 8.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 1:35 PM, Kolvo said:

Does a character that has taken more than three times the damage than the locations hit points, still cast spells?

On the rulebook it says on p 148: "Damage Equals or Exceeds Double the Location’s Hit Points
Limb: [...] However, an adventurer so damaged from a single blow is functionally incapacitated: they can no longer fight until healed and are in shock. They may try to heal themselves."

Head/abdomen/chest... they're almost definitely dead.  

"Damage Equals or Exceeds Triple the Location’s Hit Points

A limb hit for three times more points than it can take in
a single blow is severed or irrevocably maimed. [...] However,
the arm is maimed. In these cases, the adventurer is also
functionally incapacitated
."

In my opinion a character should be able to cast spells when functionally incapacitated even with damage triple or more locations hit points, because it is stated with double or more damage that healing can be attempted. However, a person from our group argues that since it is not specifically stated with triple or more damage that healing can be attempted, the character can do nothing.

Which way it is?

More than twice but less than three times = can cast spells and attempt healing.

More than three times = the adventurer is functionally incapacitated. 

You can certainly allow it in your game if you're the gamemaster (YGMV), but at the very least I would require an INTx5 or POWx5 roll to be able to focus enough to actually do something other than lie on the ground in shock and/or screaming.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 2:53 PM, Mugen said:

In the pdf describing the changes in the latest PDFs, I can read this:

That seems to be in contradiction with what you explained in July.

So, was the rule changed since July, or is the sentence above wrong ?

Use the latter answer.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2018 at 4:32 PM, Moonface said:

Why wouldn’t Extension make the Runespell more powerful?  For example, an opponent casts Charisma and Extension III, Charisma is now cast with 4 RPs, and you should need a Dismiss Magic of at least 4 pts (or 8pts Dispell Magic) to dismiss it.

You're not making the spell more effective or more powerful, you're just making it last longer.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 12/4/2018 at 10:38 PM, HreshtIronBorne said:

Strength
2 Points
Touch, Temporal, Passive 
This spell adds 8 points of STR to the target for the spell’s duration. This increases melee combat damage by one step on the Damage Bonus table on page 56 (e.g., from +1D4 to +1D6), increases all Agility and Manipulation skills(including weapon skills) as follows:
Strength Modifier
STR Prior 
to Spell
Agility and Manipulation 
Skills Increase
1–4 +5%
5–8 —
9–12 +5%
13+ +10%
It also enables the target to lift or carry heavier weights. Strength is incompatible with Vigor.

Damage Bonus
The modifier for damage an adventurer inflicts when physically striking or applying force is known as their 
damage bonus. This is an extra die roll, which is either added to, or subtracted from, the damage inflicted by a weapon or natural attack such as claw, bite, kick, etc. If a negative damage bonus takes a weapon’s damage to 0 or below, no damage has been inflicted. Add your adventurer’s STR and SIZ together and consult the Damage Bonus table:

Damage Bonus
STR+SIZ Damage Bonus
12 or less –1D4
13–24 —
25–32 +1D4
33–40 +1D6
41–56 +2D6
Each +16 points Additional +1D6

By the chart after 41 STR+SIZ, easily possible for a lucky starting Bison Rider, an 8 point bonus to STR does not raise an adventurer to the next damage bonus. Does the Spell just do this by default? Does it do it in addition to increasibg STR by 8? Would a Bison Rider with 21 SIZ and 20 STR be able to get to a 3d6 damage bonus or is the spell just wasted?

The spell, along with the other characteristic-boosting spells, had two frustrating limitations: 

1. Players had to refigure the relevant skill category modifiers and/or damage bonus to figure out what effect the spell had, which slows gameplay and introduces a potential for errors in calculation.
  2. It was possible to get no appreciable bonus (or only a very minor one) when going through all that paperwork. 

To address this, we decided to make it easier and quicker to simply have the skills and damage bonus bump up by a predefined amount. 

I'm not sure that rolling two 18s for STR and SIZ (total 36), modified by homeland (+2, for 38 total), plus Elemental Rune affinities (Air and the other would have to be Darkness... a weird combo for a Bison Rider, giving +3 more for a total of 41), qualifies as "easily possible", but you might have better dice than I do. 

For someone with STR+SIZ of 42 or higher, then yes, it would bump them up one damage bonus rank (to +3D6) but would only functionally increase STR by +8 for the purpose of resistance rolls, etc.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 3

On 2/3/2019 at 3:34 PM, High King of Balazar said:

In RQ3 there were armouring enchantments to increase armour, and strengthening enchantment to increase either location or general HP..

I can't see these in RQG ? Have they gone for gone away ? Am I not looking properly ? Are they coming back in a different supplement ?

They're discussed briefly on pages 249-250. They've been de-emphasized as they were historically woefully abused.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 2

On 11/21/2018 at 3:32 PM, Michael Cule said:

Does the Shaman gift Possession allow covert or dominant possession. I'm assuming dominant is the default but would a shaman be able to go covert and hide within the person he attacked. Once they  came round they could perhaps ride inside to penetrate a place normally protected by magical alarms or perhaps emerge to suddenly take over the body at a strategic moment? 

I think it's pretty straightforward. Maybe future expansions to the shaman ability rules will allow for special cases like that. On the other hand, the gamemaster is well within their rights to allow it desired, such as on a critical or special success with the resistance roll. 

Does the Shaman have the same limits on using the unfamiliar body as other spirits given it's normally a shape he's familiar with?

I'd say no. The Shamanic Possession (p360) works on a "per hit location chart" basis so it means they're familiar with their own rough body shape. 

Do the shaman abilities taken at becoming a Shaman cost characteristic points? I'm assuming not but it isn't totally clear to me.

Yes. Every ability after the first ability costs characteristic points.

Answers added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 11/21/2018 at 4:32 PM, Pentallion said:

Can a discorporate shaman cast demoralize on incoming hostile spirits?  Does demoralize only work on beings with INT?

Yes, if the spirit has INT. Otherwise no.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 11/23/2018 at 3:10 PM, Ryo said:

<Q1> Chalana Arroy's Favored Passion

• Loyalty (temple) on page 74
  • Love (any) on page 290

Why does the detailed cult description lack the Loyalty (temple) ?

An oversight.

You can add any Passion at any time, if it makes sense, so if there's an issue like this, just automatically add it at 60% (p236-237). 

<Q2> Days of Rain of Prax on page 122:

The Sacred Time is listed as 20 days on "Days of Rain" entry. It is longer than the days of the Sacred Time (14 days). Is this a typo?

Actual days of rain don;t line up perfectly with the beginning and end of Sacred Time. 

<Q3> "Runes and Techniques Used "on page 391

"A sorcerer must have an affinity with the Rune or Runes used in the spell..."

Need to change "affinity" to "mastery" Right?

Yes, for clarity. 

<Typo>
4the sentence of 1st paragraph, 2nd Example (Vostor Son of Pyjeem is traveling...) on page 231.

"Vostor s uncertain."     >>>    "Vostor is uncertain. "

Noted, though this is not really a place for reporting typos.

Answers added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 11/27/2018 at 7:01 AM, Roy said:

Are there rules for standing up from Prone? For example a person got knocked to prone by losing all hit points to her abdomen. She then healed herself and was able to stand back up. We couldn't find a rule on it and I ruled it would be 1 strike rank to stand. A few of the players thought that was too easy to just stand up like that with 1 strike rank. Is there an actual rule for standing from prone?

There isn't a rule already, but it should be +5 strike ranks, the same as for switching weapons.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 11/28/2018 at 4:23 PM, Michael Cule said:

p362: Spell Extension. Is that shamanic ability for a specific spell named at the point of taking the ability or can it be used for any spell, chosen when casting it? 

It's not tied to a specific spell. Just one at a time. 

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Thanks 1