Jason Durall

RuneQuest Core Rules Questions

On 11/27/2018 at 8:01 AM, Roy said:

Are there rules for standing up from Prone? For example a person got knocked to prone by losing all hit points to her abdomen. She then healed herself and was able to stand back up. We couldn't find a rule on it and I ruled it would be 1 strike rank to stand. A few of the players thought that was too easy to just stand up like that with 1 strike rank. Is there an actual rule for standing from prone?

There isn't a rule already, but it should be +5 strike ranks, the same as for switching weapons. 

On 11/28/2018 at 5:23 PM, Michael Cule said:

p362: Spell Extension. Is that shamanic ability for a specific spell named at the point of taking the ability or can it be used for any spell, chosen when casting it? 

It's not tied to a specific spell. Just one at a time. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2018 at 9:07 AM, Tupper said:

I asked this question elsewhere, and someone suggested it would be a good question for this thread:

The rules for impaling damage  (page 203) say that "if the impale is also a critical hit, then the maximum possible impaling damage (14 points in the case of the short spear) is done to the victim, to which is added any damage bonus and any extra damage from spells".  However, on page 206, in the example of a fumble, Joshfar gets critically hit by a broo with a short spear.  The example says: "The damage is normally 1D6+1+1D4.  The damage is maximum damage plus rolled damage for an impaling attack, with the rolled damage modifier added.  In this case, the roll is an exceptionally good one, with a result of 7 (max of 1D6+1), 4 (1D6+1), and 4 (1D4)."  By my read of the earlier passage (page 203), the damage should have been 18 (14 (max of 2D6+2), and 4 (a lucky roll on 1D4))?  Which passage is right?

The rules are correct. The example is in error. 

On 12/16/2018 at 3:10 AM, Chaos said:

Here's a question about the Results of Damage. I have the 2018-11-13 version of the PDF.

p.146-147

"When an adventurer has taken enough damage to reduce their total hit points to 0 or less, then the adventurer dies at the end of the current melee round unless healed or otherwise brought to positive hit points."

This seems like a good way to allow for last-second healing. However, this might not provide any benefit, since the healer would need to declare their actions during their Statement of Intent (p.192), before the damage occurs.

Only an adventurer who spends their time proactively preparing to heal will be able to heal their ally before the end of the current melee round.

I am wondering if this rule might instead mean the adventurer dies the end of the NEXT melee round, which would provide an opportunity to heal?

Alternatively, is there some way to change actions to heal instead during a melee round? This might not help either, especially in the case of damage on Strike Rank 12. This could occur with Aimed Blows (p.197), multiple attacks, or slow combatants.

Any insight you can provide into your intentions would be most appreciated.

A statement of intent can certainly be changed based on events transpiring during the round. Sometimes you state that you'll attack a foe, but they run away or die before you can strike them, or you end up getting hurt and need to spend your turn healing yourself quickly instead of attacking.

As a gamemaster I tend to go with whatever SR is higher between the original stated action and the SR of the new course of action attempted.   

On 12/3/2018 at 6:41 AM, Pentallion said:

Here is one I just ran across.  The book says Temporary damage boosts from Rune spells do harm spirits

the book says temporary damage from spirit magic does not harm most spirits.

But the book says nothing about temporary damage boosts from sorcery spells.  Do they harm spirits or not?

It's one of those things I suspect the designer never thought of, but I would say yes, as sorcery is based on manipulation of the Runes, like Rune magic. 

On 12/3/2018 at 6:41 AM, Pentallion said:

Also, the book seems to be emphasizing that corporeal beings can harm spirits with spells such as disrupt.  Can discorporate shamans harm spirits with disrupt or is that possible only because the spirit attacking corporeal beings has manifested on the mundane plane?

The latter. (Though this might be revised. I'll discuss with the author of that chapter.)

On 12/26/2018 at 11:11 AM, Scout said:

Page: 28

In Step 2 it says to roll for your grandparent's occupation twice.

2.1. "Roll for your grandparent’s occupation on the Occupation table, or pick a result"

And again in 

2.2. "Use the Occupation table to choose or randomly determine your grandparent’s and parent’s occupations"

Is this errata? I think if you ignore the grandparent part in 2.1 it works as you then have an occupation for your grandparent and parent. Unless I've gotten something wrong.

It's just duplicated. 

On 12/27/2018 at 3:23 AM, davecake said:

Wyters spend POW instead of Rune Points to cast spells. 

Do they have a means of recovering POW other than normal POW gain rolls? If so what is it, if not what is their POW gain roll?

Until we go into more detail on wyters, assume that wyters may have POW restored by their bound priests sacrificing POW to them. 

(if they can not recover Rune Points more quickly, that would seem to make using the POW of a Wyter that way a desperation move for a community)

Exactly so. The wyter is a guardian, not a weapon. 

Some of the wyters also have a separate number of Rune Points listed - what does this mean, if they don't use Rune Points to cast spells?

Those wyters described with Rune points can use those Rune points in place of characteristic POW, and can recover their Rune points in the same fashion as adventurers. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2018 at 5:01 AM, davecake said:

When RuneQuest Sorcery specifies that your knowledge of a sorcery spell is limited by your Read/Write skill (pg 388), does this mean the language your written copy of the spell is written in, or just your highest language skill of any kind? If the former, how easy is translation? 

The limit is based on the language the spell is written in. 

On 12/27/2018 at 5:01 AM, davecake said:

(particularly thinking of Pavis here, who has grimoires written in Auld Wyrmish to which can't be learnt by humans at more than 25%, but it is a good question for Lhankor Mhy sages reading Western or Lunar sources as well). 

Humans can't speak Auld Wyrmish at more than 25% (as per p174-5 in the core rules), but there is no such restriction for reading and writing that script (see page 181). 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 7:08 PM, Oracle said:

RuneQuest - Roleplaying in Glorantha, p.351, right column

Section Tools of the Shaman

The reference to p.318 points to the Rune Spell Axis Mundi, which does not mention the Spike at all.

p.354,  top of the right column displays a boxed text with the title Axis Mundi. Am I correct, that this boxed text should be referenced in the Tools of the Shaman text instead of the Rune Spell of the same name?

Yes, the text should refer to p354, not p318. 

On 12/30/2018 at 10:38 AM, Scout said:

Page 149: Example (2nd column second example)

"Her skill in First Aid is 20%. Sorala gets a 4 on the first injury, a special success! Rather than the normal 1D3 for a success, Sorala heals 1D3+3 hit points"

Special success heals 2d3, not 1d3+3 (that's a critical success)

Good catch. It should be a 2D3 in the example, not 1D3+3. 

On 1/5/2019 at 5:42 AM, Marc said:

Another question about casting Sorcery spells.  In one of our game sessions, our sorceror wanted to change how  the intensity of a spell he was casting was allocated between strength, duration, and range, after he had started casting.  I allowed it for that session, but said I was going to review the rules, and come up with a final ruling between sessions.  After reading and thinking about it, I ruled that, because the sorceror is in a semi-trance while casting, the range, duration, strength and target all had to be specified in the statement of intent of the round when the casting would start, and could not be changed after that.  He could, per the rules, abort the spell at any time, but he could not change those parameters.  The player was ok with the range, duration, and strength being fixed at the start of casting, but feels he should be able to change the target during the statement of intent of the round when the spell would take effect.  He feels that, because sorcery takes so long, if the target shoud be killed, incapacitated, or moved out of range before the spell went off, he should be able to change the target, rather than have to have wasted all the time spent casting the spell.

So the question is, what is the intent of the rules on this?  Can the spell target be changed after the sorceror has started casting the spell? Or, for that matter, can how the intensity of the spell is allocated between range, duration, and strength be changed after casting has started?

This depends entirely on gamemaster style and how rigid the group adheres to the statement of intent phase and the actual order of combat as played vs as described. 

As written, the rules call for a statement of intent. This actually doesn't require the player to identify the target of the spell. The example, for example, says an adventurer will "have my shield and sword at the ready if someone gets close" but doesn't say who that someone is, or if they'll attack or not. The gamemaster should be able to assume that the player means "I'll attack if I get the chance" even if they don't know who the attack would be directed at. 

Similarly, my experience playing pretty much every BRP-based game over the last 35 years is that most of the time groups (my own included) don't generally follow the formal statement of intent phase of combat, usually just allowing players to announce their actions as their strike ranks are called. 

So as a gamemaster I'd be fine with allowing a player to change the target of a spell if the circumstances change, so long as they're not altering the actual spell parameters (intensity, etc.). 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 6:53 AM, Nick Brooke said:

The cost of a variable Spirit Magic spell is stated per point (eg Heal is "50 L per point"). Do you have to buy each point separately (so Heal 1 costs 50 L, Heal 2 costs 100 L, Heal 3 costs 150 L, for a total outlay of 300 L), or do you just spend the cost of the new point(s) every time you learn a more effective version of the spell (so Heal 3 costs 150 L total, but only costs 50 L if you already know Heal 2)?

The first method, so, using your example, Heal 1 costs 50 L, Heal 2 costs 100 L, Heal 3 costs 150 L, for a total outlay of 300 L. 

On 1/10/2019 at 1:05 AM, Michael Cule said:

I got to my first Sacred Time in my Dorastor game. They've all survived the first year: I'm going to have to be nastier to them.

However, that is by the by. I was prepared for them to grump but not for the point at which they complained. 

They make, in a normal year, just enough to maintain their standard of living. The Warriors make 60, the noble makes 200. 

Then they pay tithes.

Then they pay cost of living. 

Which means they are ten percent short each average year on what they need to pay Cost of Living and have to dip into reserves.

Is that what's intended?

Yep. Adventurers should always be looking for means of bettering their financial situation, through adventuring, plundering, gaining or increasing their holdings, doing (paid) service for their clan/tribal leaders, and improving their professional skills to increase their chances of getting critical or special successes when performing their year-end income rolls as described in Determining Adventurer Income (page 422). 

The rules don't call it out (or rule it out), but I tend to allow players to augment those year-end rolls where appropriate. 

On 1/10/2019 at 1:05 AM, Michael Cule said:

And can single people without families pay less than the rate of Cost of Living which is supposed to maintain a household?

The rules aren't that granular, but assume that the standard of living cost applies to the household, even when it's just one person. 

Edited by Jason Durall

On 1/10/2019 at 4:07 AM, Roy said:

Where can I find the rule about concentrate in the ruleboook? Mentioned in the last sentence of this post.

Page 247, under Active Spell (rules that apply to all magic). It's also mentioned again in the chapter on Spirit Magic (p255). 

On 1/16/2019 at 11:32 AM, kiryamo said:

I read this way:

1. As a general rule, ad adventurer actually can attack AND parry with the same weapon in the same melee round.
2. In order to parry with a shield, it must be prepared. This means a) not be using simultaneously 2H weapons and b) not declare an attack with the shield.
3. When bearing two weapons different from weapon & shield, an adventurer can attack with both of them OR attack with one of them and parry with the other.

Is this interpretation right?

Yes. 

On 1/16/2019 at 11:32 AM, kiryamo said:

And another question:

Q1. Can you bear a shield with, let's say, a Great Axe or a Bow, although you can not parry, in order to get some kind of "passive defense" against missiles, or, otherwise,  what is the meaning of the expression "A shield may not be ready for use when the adventurer is using a two-handed weapon" in p. 219

Thank you.

Here's where we get into some crunch, based on how realistic you want to go. In the real world, shields usually require a hand to hold onto an interior strap or handle so they don't get in the way or slip around. Part of a shield's virtue is being mobile enough that it doesn't take hits directly, angling them away from the defender when possible. 

These straps not like Captain America's magical shield that has grips tight enough for him to wield it like a weapon AND then slip over his shoulder with backpack like straps. (Comics version Cap... the movie one has some sort of magnetic harness thing.) That's not super-fun, though, and fantasy art and fiction is full of characters with a shield slung over one arm loosely while using a two-handed weapon like a bow or great axe. 

So if you want to allow it, I'd rule the following: 

• The adventurer will receive no benefit from the shield unless against melee or missile fire that happens to strike that or an adjacent hit location (see p219) AND comes from a direction that would reasonably have a chance of hitting (gamemaster discretion). In this case, the shield will protect for half its usual armor points (as per the rules for a slung shield on the back, p219). 

For example, an adventurer is using a bow, holding it with their left hand and drawing the string with the right hand. The shield is affixed to the back of the left arm. An attack comes from the adventurer's left and rolls the left arm hit location. The shield, being between the attacker and the arm in question, protects for half its normal value. Later in the same combat, an attack comes from the right/front or back and rolls the left arm hit location. The gamemaster decides that the arm is exposed and that the shield isn't between the attack and the arm, so the shield is useless. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gochie said:

What is the disadvantage of using 2 weapons? I feel like it's way more advantageous to dual wield 2 weapons and have the option to attack twice (plus defend normally) than carrying a shield, where all you get is maybe some passive defense for missiles? 

Hand weapons can't parry missile/thrown weapons, and they have lower HP than shields. 

35 minutes ago, styopa said:

We ruled that you can get up from prone with a similar delay BUT during the 'getting up' period, you were essentially defenseless.  If you dodged or parried or anything like that, you were prone again and had to start over (IRL: when knocked down in a fight, people tend to scramble away FIRST, THEN try to stand.)

That works too, but we're also trying to keep from getting way too crunchy. 

4 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Pardon me -  but I would add (based on Jasons previous clarifications) That with two weapons, one in each hand you can attack with both (subject to strike ranks), and parry with both (though only 1 parry allowed per attack) and subsequent parries (in a combat round) are subject to the -20% cumulative penalty, regardless of which weapon is used to parry.

Worth repeating. 

• Like 1

Does Sureshot let you chose the location struck by the missile? I imagine it would, or else it wouldn't really help someone who is already good (96%+)?

Also, can Illusory Substance be used alone to create a solid, invisible substance? For 4 points, could I wield an invisible weapon that deals 2D6 damage?

Edited by gochie

On 2/1/2019 at 11:57 PM, Smokebadger said:

Is variable point spirit magic prices as individual points or as cumulative points.

eg heal 1 is 50L,   is heal 2 100 L  (50+50) or 150L (50 for 1 point + (50+50 for 2nd point)) 

I have been charging the second one.

The second. 

Heal 1 = 50

Heal 2 = 100 (or 150 if buying for the first time) 

Heal 3 = 150 (or 300 if buying for the first time) 

etc. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 11:56 PM, Glorion said:

Second question. As I read the rules, nobody would ever want to take training, as that means you can't do any adventuring that season, and you even lose the several normal experience rolls you would get otherwise if you don't adventure during a season. And you only get a training check in one skill out of it, besides having to pay for it. Is my read correct and that was intended, or should this be clarified?

You can train skills you can't learn from experience. Some of these skills may never come up in a play session. 

You don't necessarily adventure every season. The gamemaster may tell players that the next game will take place several seasons from the current one, allowing for training. 

On 3/10/2019 at 11:20 PM, Oracle said:

While currently preparing to run the Quickstart with the full fledged RuneQuest - Roleplaying in Glorantha rule set I've compared the descriptions of the pre-generated characters in the Quickstart and in the core rules. Most changes are minimal, but for Sorala there is an important change in available magic. While she has several Spirit Spells available in the Quickstart, these disappeared completely in her description in the core rules (as well as in the Gamemaster Screen Pack), and instead she got some Sorcery Techniques and several Sorcery Spells.

While I understand the addition of the Sorcery Techniques and Spells ("...  and even the paths of sorcery are among my specialities. ..."), and I understand the missing Spirit Spells because of the following entry in the Adventurer Creation process Step 6, p.73:

But I'm not so sure about the consequences. Does that mean, that an adventurer, which starts with learning Cult Sorcery, is not at all allowed to learn Cult Spirit Magic. Or does he have to make this decision in the beginning only, but is still able to learn Cult Spirit Magic later?

Sorala's magic choices in the Quickstart were made entirely for expediency. It didn't seem a good use of space in the rules section of the Quickstart adventure to include sorcery—even in abbreviated form—as her sorcery spell choices would have been fairly ineffectual during the adventure. 

Use the rules from the core book as written. The rules for creating adventurers address their prior experience and training and are not life-long restrictions. 

Lankor Mhy cult members, for example, can learn cult spirit magic later. His description on page 298 has the spirit magic offered by the cult. 

On 3/22/2019 at 5:17 PM, g33k said:

If two potential foes move into range of one another, with weapons readied, are they automatically "Engaged"?

Are they going to attack one another and defend if attacked? Then they're engaged. 

What if neither one of them "wants" to be Engaged?

Then I guess they're just standing there staring at one another. You don't need rules until someone does something. Why is this a question? 

What if one or both of them are already "Engaged" with other foe(s)?

Are they paying attention to one another? Backing into each other? Are they even aware of one another? 

The rules can't account for every permutation of potential interaction between individuals. This should be up to the gamemaster to decide. 

"An Elf, a Dwarf, and a Troll walk into a bar" -- are all three of them each Engaged with the other two?

If they like each other enough and are willing to make it work, who are we to say otherwise? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 4/7/2019 at 8:47 PM, 7Tigers said:

What about page 263 Lantern spell description (Ranged, Temporal, Passive):
"This focused, passive spell..." => is focused in the sentence just a figure of speech and not related to Focused quality?

"focused" is used in the general sense, in that the spell is cast on a specific area. 

On page 227 (Using Runes) it states "An Elemental Rune may be used to augment the adventurer’s
chance with a single non-combat skill within its skills
category," but in the example given it states that Vasana is going to try to augment her Broadsword
skill by becoming inspired by her Air Rune. Which clearly isn't a non-combat skill. I'm confused.