Jason Durall

RuneQuest Core Rules Questions

Spell Trading

It says that "one use of any Rune magic" is traded.

1. Can this be multiple points of a variable spell, e.g. Shield 3?

2. If so, can the points then be used separately?

3. Can two separately traded Shield 1 spells be cast as a single Shield 2 spell?

4. If common rune spells are traded, what rune is used - the cult runes of the donor, or the cult runes of the recipient? Or is it POWx5 like a matrix?

My instincts are 1. yes, 2. yes, 3. no, and 4. the donor's. Actually... I'm coming round to think that 2 is a no. It's one casting of the spell, you literally cast it as part of the spell and the other person catches and stores it.

Sorry about 4, I just spotted that the spell description specifies that the donor's rune ratings are used to cast spells.

Edited by PhilHibbs

If your CHA isn't *only* physical appearance, what happens to it if you possess another person's body (Aka Shaman gift, or any other way)? Do you retain your charisma in the new body, do you now have their charisma, or a sort of merger of both? I'm assuming you keep yours, or you could lose spirit spells, but then could you still have 18 CHA as an ugly trolkin? 

Edited by gochie

On 4/19/2019 at 10:46 PM, gochie said:

If your CHA isn't *only* physical appearance, what happens to it if you possess another person's body (Aka Shaman gift, or any other way)? Do you retain your charisma in the new body, do you now have their charisma, or a sort of merger of both? I'm assuming you keep yours, or you could lose spirit spells, but then could you still have 18 CHA as an ugly trolkin? 

I would say that you retain your characters CHA. People close to the meat suit might notice that something has changed (attractiveness, etc.), so that could draw attention in unwanted ways (ie a good plot hook for the GM!).

SDLeary

• Like 1

Hello,

When learning a weapon offhand, the base is 05%, but is it possible to use the half normal chance, as it is another skill with a weapon in the same category?

Regards.

50 minutes ago, Kloster said:

When learning a weapon offhand, the base is 05%, but is it possible to use the half normal chance, as it is another skill with a weapon in the same category?

I don't think that is intended. Just about everybody is going to start out with a higher skill than 5% plus modifier, so the rule would be almost entirely pointless.

Edited by PhilHibbs

Hello. I have one question about RQG core mechanics. It's oppotunities for Augment, especially through using skills.

When gamemaster request a passive test to Player-Characters, we usually think it's a momentary events. For example, when gamemaster think that adventurers need to make a Scan test and said to players, some of players consider to use some skills to augment the attribute of Scan. 

(If they use Inspiration ---- Augment by Runes or Passons ----, I think its trouble would be avoidable because the interval of time to use Runes and Passons is "the speed of thought" or "Instantaneous", written in RQG core rulebook: p.139L, "Skill and Ability Time" and p.229L, "Becoming Inspired". )

I need some guidelines for informing players to estimate availability of Augment by skills (some of these often take long-term). 

I’m looking forward to your reply.

Edited by gginc

14 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I don't think that is intended. Just about everybody is going to start out with a higher skill than 5% plus modifier, so the rule would be almost entirely pointless.

"Training or experience in using a weapon left-handed does not help the right-handed attack or parry with the same weapon, except that the half effectiveness rule applies. For example, use of a dagger left-handed, allows the adventurer to use it right-handed at half the left-handed ability."

RQG, pg 225