Jason Durall

RuneQuest Core Rules Questions

On 3/22/2019 at 8:07 PM, g33k said:

Axe Trance & Sword Trance --

Do these have any actual "trance" features as per, e.g., Arrow Trance?

I treat them the same. 

Obviously, one would need to modify the exact features... e.g. Humakti will not "Heal" their iron swords, and will be free to parry!

But will the the Axe/Sword Trance'd only be aware of themselves and their foes?  Unaware e.g. of falling allies, larger strategic considerations?  If all the foes are fallen before the spell expires, do they just stand ready for more foes?

If the Tranced character has run out of targets, I'd say the spell ends, even if prematurely. Humakt has little interest in his warriors standing around pointlessly when they could be going off to get into more trouble elsewhere. The same could be said for Aldrya or Babeester Gor. The rules don't specifically spell this out but the gamemaster should be able to interpret the situation that way. 

Similarly, casting Extension on spells like this should only be useful for so long as the spell is useful. If, as a gamemaster, you want to have adventurers running around in a coldblooded murder zone, by all means allow it, but if you don't, remember that the gods themselves are linked to the Runes that these spells are cast with, the Rune points the spells were cast with were granted by those gods themselves, and the use of the spells should be in service to the god, or at least not wasted on idle tasks.  

Things that fall outside the province of the target/Trance dynamic are ignored, which is why it would be horrible to keep one of these spells going for longer than is absolutely necessary.

Answers added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 4/6/2019 at 12:51 AM, gochie said:

Not sure if this belongs here, but I always wondered why the spirit spell Parry doesn't increase the armor of the shield/weapon... I mean if Bladesharp and all the others increase damage on top of the percentage, why not Parry? Seems a bit weak in comparison. 

We didn't see the need to change the spell. Given that we've conflated attack and parry chances, it seemed to be overmuch to add additional hit points to a weapon.

Weapons breaking or being damaged is a core feature of RQ combat, so anything that moves away from that is not particularly desirable. 

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 4/7/2019 at 8:35 PM, gochie said:

Does Sureshot let you chose the location struck by the missile? I imagine it would, or else it wouldn't really help someone who is already good (96%+)?

No, you still roll hit location.

The benefit of Sureshot that it automatically hits. That means it can't be parried (with a shield) or dodged. You'll hit someone hiding behind a wall or moving or in the middle of melee. You can hit them in the dark. These are huge advantages.

You can, however, make an aimed blow at strike rank 12 (see page 197), cast Sureshot and use half your skill to determine whether it is a special or critical. 

Also, can Illusory Substance be used alone to create a solid, invisible substance? For 4 points, could I wield an invisible weapon that deals 2D6 damage?

Not alone. Re-read the final sentence of Illusory Substance on page 332. You would need to cast Illusory Motion in tandem with it to be able to move and manipulate your 2D6 invisible weapon. You could create a stationary illusory spike under someone to fall on, but both spells would be needed for something you'd wield in combat.

Answers added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2019 at 4:12 PM, Connan said:

On page 227 (Using Runes) it states "An Elemental Rune may be used to augment the adventurer’s
chance with a single non-combat skill within its skills
category," but in the example given it states that Vasana is going to try to augment her Broadsword
skill by becoming inspired by her Air Rune. Which clearly isn't a non-combat skill. I'm confused.

Ignore the use of the word "non-combat" in this instance. In this case, the Air Rune governs all Manipulation skills, which fundamentally overlap with combat skills. Furthermore, swords fall under the influence of the Air Rune (see page 49) so they would use that Rune.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 4/15/2019 at 2:16 AM, gochie said:

If someone has Fireblade on an iron sword, do they deal 2x the fireblade damage to a troll or elf? 

No. It is now magically a magical blade of fire, not iron. Roll for the Fireblade damage instead.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
Thanks Phil for the correction.
  • Thanks 1

On 4/20/2019 at 6:46 AM, gochie said:

If your CHA isn't *only* physical appearance, what happens to it if you possess another person's body (Aka Shaman gift, or any other way)? Do you retain your charisma in the new body, do you now have their charisma, or a sort of merger of both? I'm assuming you keep yours, or you could lose spirit spells, but then could you still have 18 CHA as an ugly trolkin? 

I would argue yes, but I suggest capping it at the species' natural maximum.

For example, a trollkin possessed by a shaman with CHA 18 would be capped at CHA 14 (the trollkin max, 2D6 equaling 12+2 dice). This would be the Tom Hanks of trollkin. 

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/23/2019 at 11:12 AM, Kloster said:

Hello,

When learning a weapon offhand, the base is 05%, but is it possible to use the half normal chance, as it is another skill with a weapon in the same category?

Regards.

It's up to your gamemaster but I would say absolutely not.

Learning to do something in your "off" hand isn't simply making similar movements with something slightly different in your hand, it's writing all new motions and habits, which is a lot more difficult. 

Think of it as the difference between switching from cursive to printing to calligraphy (same group) vs trying to write with your left hand.

Answer added to Q&A  

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2019 at 7:25 PM, g33k said:

TYVM, Jason!  Mostly, you clarified the elements I wanted clarified.  There is an issue remaining...

Bear with me, please.  It's just one question, one issue; but I'm going to take some time to expand upon it... since I seem not to have asked clearly enough before!

You say, "They're not paying attention to one another," but is that true?  As the default case?

• You're in a melee... an armed foe moves to within striking distance... you don't pay attention?
  • Or you're the one moving, just trying to bypass an armed foe... don't you "pay attention" to said foe as you pass within sword-strike distance?

As I mentioned in an earlier reply, the rules cannot - and should not - account for every permutation of character interaction.

The gamemaster's role is to make decisions about circumstances that are unclear and rule accordingly. 

If the gamemaster decides that having someone move into another character's range during combat warrants a reaction (as if withdrawing), then the solution seems obvious, based on related rulings. The gamemaster might also call for an Idea roll to determine if the character can notice and react fast enough to having someone they're not fighting suddenly running by them.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Haha 1

On 4/23/2019 at 12:39 PM, gginc said:

I need some guidelines for informing players to estimate availability of Augment by skills (some of these often take long-term). 

If an activity is taking a long time, the gamemaster should consider whether it's worth breaking up into multiple skill rolls, in which case each roll could be augmented separately (perhaps even with different abilities). 

Alternately, for a long-term activity where one skill roll covers the whole enterprise, the gamemaster might consider a single augment roll (from a Rune, Passion, or appropriate skill) as representing many such rolls performed over the duration of the activity.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 4/28/2019 at 11:26 AM, Queegueg said:

Do all attacks by the various elementals take place on SR 12?  Air?  Water?  Earth?

Yes. They have no DEX characteristics so they'll go last in any round.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 4/29/2019 at 3:57 AM, Flittercat said:

This clause is causing confusion in our group with different interpretations of "a task being attempted".

For example.  If the group is exploring a ruined temple which is flooded to about chest height and the swim skill is being used by one of them to augment their spear attack.  How often can this be allowed?

1. Only once for the entire scenario - the task is spear attack and the session is the entire ruined temple
  2. Once for each battle so if the group moves into a new room and fights some more foes the swim skill augmentation can be used again - the task is spear attack but the session is a scene and each battle is a different scene even if played only minutes after the previous battle
  3. Once for each foe in the battle - the task is combat against a particular foe so each foe is a different task
  4. Once for each attack the adventurer attempts - the task is a particular attack so each melee round's attack is a different task

Which interpretation is the official one?

This one is open a bit to gamemaster interpretation, but I tend to go with answer 2. The task is "fighting with my spear in this battle" so the Swim augment applies throughout that combat, but would end with it. Most combats resolve within a minute or two (five to ten combat rounds), which feels about right.  

For answer 1, you could spend days in the temple and use many different skills in between, which makes a one-use augment too powerful AND too restrictive at the same time. 

For answer 3, you're still using the same spear and using it to fight. 

For answer 4, this is far too fiddly. 

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 3:57 PM, Michael Cule said:

Can a Humakti use Extension to have Sword Trance up for  a year? 

Now, I've said no because a) (Doyleist answer) I don't want that degree of power to last that long and b) (Watsonian answer) it's a trance and the Humakti is totally focussed on his weapon and on fighting while it is active and even the most Death oriented character needs to eat, sleep and crap from time to time. 

Is this reasonable? Should there be guidance about how much semi-permanent magic should be possible? 

Correct. You can't keep a Sword Trance active for a year, unless you can for some reason keep fighting without sleep, eating, self-care, conversation, travel, etc. for that year. 

Though the "as-written" mechanics of the spell and Extension seem to indicate it's possible, the gamemaster should interpret the purpose of the spell and its use within the mythic framework of Glorantha. If it makes no sense to remain active, then it should end when it feels appropriate.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 3

On 6/12/2019 at 10:23 AM, Smokebadger said:

Working through borderlands using RQG. The charisma rule using it as your max number of spell point breaks down when talking to tusk riders. 

1D6 CHA.  Is the rule book trying to tell me they are “less”.

Im thinking of house ruling INT with CHA as your suppressed spells Ala RQ2

any thoughts

Tusk Riders were not statted up for, and are not generally suitable as, player characters. 

In RQ1 and 2 they had CHA 1-6, and generally had two spells. Their writeup in RQG reflects this. 

If you think they should have more spirit magic than up to 6 or 7 points, then you can easily assign more CHA to them on a one-off basis, or as a race.  

If you want to have them use a different rules paradigm for their spirit magic than every other race, then by all means do so.

On 5/13/2019 at 9:04 AM, Kolati said:

To control animal spirits with the "control (species)" spirit spell, what spirit spell I have to use to control a lion spirit (for example): control (animal spirit), control (large carnivorous mammal spirit) or control (lion spirit)? thanks.

Personally, I'd keep it simple, to Control (Animal Spirit) but a more detail-oriented gamemaster may wish to make things more focused with Control (specific type as per list in the Bestiary p167-168). 

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Thanks 1

"To use the god’s magic, an initiate must spend Rune points equal to the points of the spell. The initiate’s maximum Rune points are equal to their CHA."

1: Is this Rune Point restriction per character, or per cult per character? That is, if you're "full" in one cult, could you join another in order to get space for more Rune Points through sacrifices in that cult?

2: Are God-talkers, Priests and Rune-Lords similarly restricted? On the one hand, it says "initiate" in the quote; on the other, nothing in the description of the higher ranks says that this restriction no longer applies for them. I'm assuming the answer here is "yes", but I'm not certain.

On 5/8/2019 at 3:39 PM, PhilHibbs said:

Shamans again again!

p355 Stage Four—The Ordeal:

It's a bit difficult to follow, am I right in understanding that the shaman cannot fail this stage? It goes on for 1D6 rounds or more, the shaman gets either a Power or a Taboo each round, and that's it?

When I first read it, I came away with the impression that you could attempt to become a shaman, fail it at the Ordeal, and then try again when your master deems you worthy again. Now, on re-reading it, once you've made your roll of (average of POW+CHA)×5 or whatever roleplaying satisifes the GM, that's it. You're going to be a shaman. The only variables are how good your Spirit Dance roll is to get a toasty Fetch, and how many times you beat the Bad Man in the ordeal.

Is that correct?

The assistant shaman can't fail, other than to lose all of the 1D6 rounds of combat. They don't lose any magic points. It is sorely a game of "Chicken", to test the prospective shaman's fortitude by seeing how many taboos they will be willing to take. 

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 5/8/2019 at 10:40 PM, Michael Cule said:

Could we get some guidance on the resale value of crystals, both powered and non? 

The material in the GMs Pack told us about the value of Rune metals but not crystals. 

This will be covered in the RuneQuest Campaign Guide, in development.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 7:02 PM, tnli said:

Is Steal Breath sorcery spell supposed to generate 1d6 magic points per combat round?

From the first sentence of the spell: 

This spell allows the caster to convert 3 cubic meters of air into 1D6 magic points per round.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 5/10/2019 at 10:28 AM, Cloud64 said:

This question concerns the SR on which a hit is made after moving and  drawing weapon at the same time.

It takes 5 SR to draw a weapon and this can be done while running towards an enemy (p195 "actions such as readying a weapon and movement may be combined, so long as they do not seem improbable").

Correct. The gamemaster should be the judge of what seems possible here. 

The situation is this: a troll runs towards the adventurer whilst drawing his maul. The distance to the adventurer is 15m, therefore takes 5 SR to move, the same 5 SR is used to draw the weapon. Going by the rules, it seems that the troll then stands there for the weapon's total SR, waiting to be hit, before hitting the adventurer, any advantage from the charge being lost.

You could also just say the troll charges slightly later in the round, arriving on their normal strike rank + 5 strike ranks for the movement. 

This feels wrong, though the logic of getting the weapon out and getting it in a usable position makes sense. We played it by just adding the troll's DEX SR onto the total with movement.

So the question is, if a weapon is drawn, is the SR for a hit equal to

• 5 to ready + weapon SR + DEX SR + SIZ SR

Generally, yes. 

regardless of situation?

I would almost never say "regardless of situation" because that's a surefire way to create more unnecessary complexity or confusion with the rules. 

The fundamental conceptual problem here (and it's not just you) is that the RQ rules have never been clear about whether strike ranks are an action point allowance or a simple determiner of who acts first. Most of the time these issues come up is when they start becoming action points vs. speed of attack. 

It may help to emphasize your interpretation of strike ranks solely as the latter (determining who goes first, etc.), and all additional actions or modifiers to strike ranks are simply changing that speed in which everyone can attack.

Answers added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2019 at 7:05 AM, lordabdul said:

Looks like this wasn't reported yet:

• First Aid, p149: in the example, Sorala gets a special success but it says her player rolls 1D3+3. As per the rules above it should be 2D3?

Yes, it should be 2D3. 

• Range Categories, p152: the paragraph for "In Sight" ends abruptly ("The gamemaster may choose to change the time scale from melee rounds to").

This is from the first printing (now corrected). 

The sentence should end "to turns, if desired." 

I see a few typos or layout issues in the PDF that are fixed in the printed book. Is the PDF going to be updated? Would that send some email notification to us?

We've updated the .pdf several times since its initial release. I'm not sure what the process of sending updates is, but you can re-download from whatever vendor you bought it from and it should be up-to-date. 

Last, a couple clarification questions:

• It's probably second nature to experienced gamers but I don't see anything about how the GM being able to apply arbitrary bonuses/penalties given circumstances? (like some bonus to Track because it rained recently and the ground is soft, or something) There's a paragraph on p163, just under "Modifying Skill Rolls", that probably addresses this, but it's unclear since it can be read merely as an introduction to the augment rules. More importantly, it doesn't give any hint as to what a proper range for those bonuses/penalties might be (should the Track example above be 10% or 40%?).

It's intended that the guidelines for augmenting abilities with Passions/Runes/other skills provide guidance for such benefits, but that regretfully isn't clear. 

Given that there's a lot of grey area in how much a particular circumstance might truly influence a task, it could be anywhere from ±5 to ±75%. I personally tend to believe that if a modifier is less than ±20% it's not worth applying, as the difference is something that should be taken into account with the adventurer's facility with the ability. 

• Given the way the character sheet looks, I originally thought you just subtract damage from whatever hit location, and that's it -- glossing over the quick "...and to keep track of each separate injury!" sentence on p.146 at the end of the "Damage" chapter introduction. But it looks like, indeed, if you get hit twice in the left arm, you need to keep track of the damage for each of those two wounds? Is that correct? If so, how do people typically track that? Do you find there's enough room in the hit location boxes on the character sheet?

Yes, you keep track of each separate injury and thus you can apply Heal spells and First Aid rolls separately.

As for bookkeeping, I've seen people write little -Xs next to the hit location diagram entries, make notes in the Combat Notes section, or use a piece of scratch paper so they're not marking up their character sheet too much.

Answers added to Q&A 

Edited by Scotty
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2019 at 10:55 AM, HreshtIronBorne said:

Does a Shaman, Priest, or Spirit teaching a spirit magic spell lose the knowledge of the spell when they teach it? 

No. Why would they? 

Also, under the Priest and Rune-Lord Benefit sections it states they earn a 1- pt increase in cult spirit magic every year, does this mean bladesharp 6 would 'tick up' into bladesharp 7? Is this also the intent for how spirit spells are learned at incresing variables? You find someone with a bladesharp 7 and they can improve your bladesharp 6 to 7?

The 1-point increase is determined by the player and approved by the gamemaster, and is applied to one spell.

It might mean an existing spell increased by one level, or a new spell is gained from the list of existing cult spirit magic spells. 

You learn to improve your spirit magic by finding a teacher and paying them to teach you. Like any subject, they must know it themselves. 

The gamemaster should determine how available the teaching is and whether anyone in the desired area knows the spell at the desired level. It might be that some of the cost in L is for this research. It might also be that in some cases, a spell's higher level is only available from pretty rarefied sources. Someone with Bladesharp 7 is going to be a pretty intensely dedicated warrior, and might not have the time to spend it teaching magic to newcomers.

Answers added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 5/23/2019 at 4:28 AM, g33k said:

Clarification needed on this thread (RE the DreamDragon in the adventure in the GMScreenPack) ...

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/9632-dream-dragons/

The OP pretty much lays it out:  when a creature has more than one listed attack (which take place on different SR's) does the creature get ALL of the listed attacks, each round?  Or does it pick ONE to use each round (on whichever SR)?

Generally, there is a note saying whether the creature attacks multiple times in the same combat round. 

Otherwise, treat them like characters. The gamemaster should pick which attacks are the most appropriate to the encounter each combat round. 

Added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

On 6/3/2019 at 8:28 PM, Chekmx said:

Is there any resistance role for the spell Slow or is it always successful?

Resistance roll, as it directly affects another living being independent of something the adventurer is doing. 

For example, Bladesharp doesn't require a resistance roll as it's just adding to the efficacy of an attack already being made. Slow is affecting another being usually in defiance of their preference. If someone were to cast Mobility on an unwilling subject, that should probably call for a resistance roll too.

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty
  • Thanks 1

Asked elswhere, but I'll do here as well :)

"An awakened small animal (SIZ 2 or less, such as a cat, a lizard, a bird, etc.) with 3D6 INT and 3D6 POW." p83

Do they have CHA? What is it? Does this effect their ability to learn additional spells?
  • Like 1