Jason Durall

RuneQuest Core Rules Questions

On 6/6/2019 at 8:29 AM, davecake said:

Does the Farsee spell make any difference to anything within the game system, or only the the value the GM assigns it ad hoc in a particular situation? Skills have no range penalties, and the spell description implies that Farsee makes no difference to missile or thrown weapon range or accuracy at range. 

It has no mechanic-specific effect on a case-by-case basis, but the gamemaster might interpret that as being able to use Perception-based skills like Insight, Scan, Search, or even Track at twice their 'normal' distance. 

Answer added to Q&A

Edited by Scotty

Forgive me, I am sure this has been asked before and answered but I couldn't find a satisfactory answer. Everything else in the rules makes sense to me but I still wonder about this : p224 Two Weapons Use: Any adventurer using a weapon in each hand may use them for two attacks, two parries, or one attack and one parry.

I can figureout  that two weapons allow for two attacks if you have the strike ranks for them, that two parries allow to avoid the 20% malus on the second parry. But one attack and one parry? Maybe I am mistaken (possibly so and then it will solve all my problems) but a parry doesn't require SR if the weapon is ready, so you can parry with an attacking weapon (maybe that's where I am wrong) so you could still get one attack and one parry with only one weapon. Or do you get a malus if you attacked already? Otherwise what would be the benefit? A second parry without malus? But then that would fall into two parries because you could still attack.

What is the real meaning of one parry and one attack as opposed to one weapon fighting.

I feel like I missed one simple and clear point but it has been bugging me so if you can clarify, it will be all clear sky from then on! 

Thanks a lot in advance.

About the rune spell Matrix Creation:

Is the spell that will be stored in the matrix have to be cast? If yes a one use rune spell have to be spent, but what about the spell stored in the matrix, will it be also a one use spell? (I think that it will be, but ...)

An other thing: can a rune spell coming from a spell trade be placed in a matrix?

Thanks

What is the area/volume of fire produced by the sorcery spell Conflagration?  If it is cast on the space containing a human, for instance, would that human take damage to only one hit location, or is enough to , say, catch both legs.   Would a higher strength spell correspond to a bigger fire?

Another question:

In the character sheet we can see "Customs (local) (25)" skill WITHOUT experience checkbox, and then "Custom (other) (00)" skill WITH experience checkbox. Which one is correct?

Small errata: RQG p250 says to see Spirit Combat on page 336, but it's actually page 366.

Question: in the Spirits & The Spirit World chapter, it says:

Within a range of 1 meter per point of the sensing spirit’s POW, spirits can sense the POW of other spirits to within 10 points, 5 points above or below their own.

Does that mean they can estimate the POW score of the other entity, but if that other entity has a POW that is 5 points above or below their own, they can only say "it's way stronger/weaker than me"?

Edited by lordabdul

Another question about Truesword - how does it combine with special success when attacking?

Both Truesword and Special say "double", so the total damage would be 4x. On the other hand Special also says, that "Any magical addition to the damage is only added once." That again technically Truesword isn't "magical addition" but "magical multiplier".

In the Q&A of RQG, in CHA4028 RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha – Chapter 13 Rune Magic Q&A,

we can read, in chapter Stackable Rune Magic (page 315) :

• Non-stackable spells can neither be improved through additional rune points, nor be subject to Extension (for instance, I can’t Extend Madness).

Yes

But, later in this Q&A page, we can read some exemples where Charisma, a temporal, non stackable rune spell is subject to Extension...

In Extension description we can read:

This spell extends the duration of any temporal Rune spell that has a normal duration of 15 minutes

So, isn't Madness be Extended, because it's an instant spell, and non stackable spells, like Charisma that are temporal be subject to Extension?

• Like 3

I've probably asked this before but shouldn't fighting a dozen spirits be harder than fighting one?

A shaman character in my campaign has just fought three  Disease Spirits at once. None of them had any chance of getting through his defences without critical hits. This seems wrong.

And on the matter of disease spirits: is the chance to steal POW from a disease spirit limited to someone who has been successfully attacked by the spirit who then throws them out? The use of the word 'victim' in the rule seems to indicate that and that's how I ruled but it isn't really clear. 

• Like 2

On the Rune Spell Soul Sight (p. 340):

The recipient can also tell if a person viewed through this spell is an initiate; and if so, whether the initiate is in good standing or not.

Can the caster also tell what cult a person is initiated into?

One of the adventurers in my group received an iron ingot as a family heirloom. How does he get it enchanted?

The appendix in the Gamemasters Pack says that (p. 120)

Many cults know the common divine spell of Enchant (Metal).

but the spell is not listed as a common Rune spell, and none of the cults in the rules have the Rune spell Enchant (metal).

The spell description says the Rune used varies with the metal, but I can't find any information on what Rune is associated with iron.

On page 73 of the RQG it says under Cult Starting Skills

"Each cult has starting skills taught to its members. Add the listed skill bonuses to these skills. Add an additional +20% to one of these starting skills and+15% to another. In addition, all initiates start with the following skill bonuses: Cult Lore (deity) +15%, Worship (deity) +20%, Meditate +5%."

Does that mean, that those additional +20%/+15% can’t be allocated to Cult Lore (deity), Worship (deity) or Meditate?

Perhaps it’s just a misleading wording, because I think that those three skills (Cult Lore, Worship, Meditate) are cult starting skills as well.

Thanks a lot.

When Dispel magic 2 or Dismiss magic 1 is cast on a character with 2 point spirit magic spell (for example Bladesharp 2) or 1 point rune spell (for example True sword) in effect, does the caster have to succeed in a POW vs POW resistance roll?

• Like 1

Please note that Rune Fixes – 3rd July 2018 incorrectly lists The Bad Man’s Spirit Combat, it is corrected in the 8 December 2019 version to 175%. This is the only change to that document (other than the date).

It's been updated on  CHA4028 RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha – Chapter 14 Shamans Q&A

and CHA4028 RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha – Rune Fixes 8th December 2019

• Thanks 2

The requirements to found a new temple have changed to reflect those in the upcoming Gods of Glorantha.

RuneQuest Glorantha page 282:

Qualify to Found Own Temple of the Cult: To do this, a Rune Priest or Rune Lord must have a minimum of 15 Rune points and 90% ability in three cult Knowledge skills. This often requires the permission of the High Priest, which is easy to get if the Priest goes somewhere else to set up the temple, and has sufficient funds to do so.

replace with

Qualify to Found Own Temple of the Cult: To do this, a Rune Priest or Rune Lord must have the support of at least 150 lay members and initiates that will follow them to the new temple. This often requires the permission of the High Priest, which is easy to get if the Priest goes somewhere else to set up the temple, and has sufficient funds to do so.

Answer added to Q&A

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There are 8 pages of questions, it is getting hard to tell what has been asked and what has not, I am hoping this has not. 

One can combine RPs from several sources to fuel a spell of greater potency then one can supply oneself Is there a limit or cap to this, and is it CHA? Seems to me that the temple ate by a dragon was the target of a 20 year multi-being spell/ritual.

Can one combine MPs from several sources to fuel a spell. Same follow up, is there a limit a and what is that limit?

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1