Jason Durall

RuneQuest Core Rules Questions

Sorcery:

Is it possible at all to inscribe a spell with an inferred Rune or Technique?

What are the POW cost to inscribe a spell with an inferred Rune or Technique? One POW per point of intensity, or one POW per magic point needed to increase intensity by one?

• Like 3

Adding to @Joerg's questions about sorcery inscriptions, when casting, do they still cost the same amount of MPs and SRs as normal spell casting? Or are they free/instant?

Does the form of the manipulation need to be chosen at the time of making the inscription?

• Like 1

Moderator Mode: a reminder. This core rules questions thread is not a forum for discussion or debate. It is for asking RQG rules questions and clarifications, which will be answered by @Jason Durall, @Scotty (David Scott), and occasionally by @Jeff

You are most welcome to discuss/debate those responses; however please do so on another thread or go ahead and start one of your own. Feel free to use the @ feature if you wish to draw what you've said to any of their attention (though it is up to Jason, David, or Jeff whether they wish to respond or not).

• Like 4

Is there a rule for Dual Wielding ? I may have missed it in the book . I have an idea on how to house rule it. I was just curious.  I am loving RQ Glorantha this will be my first time running it. 

Edited by Burnwardman

I have questions about the degrees of illness.

RQ Roleplaying in Glorantha:

P154 table Degrees of Illness says the four degrees are Mild, Acute, Serious, Terminal.

P155 under Thunder Lung: the four degrees are Mild, Chronic, Acute, Terminal.

Q1: Which degrees are correct?

Based on the Bestiary version below, I would likely resolve this by saying the degrees are Mild, Acute, Serious (also known as Chronic), Terminal. I would reword Thunder Lung to "A mild form causes 1D6 attacks; acute form causes 2D6 attacks; the serious form causes 3D6 attacks; terminal form causes 4D6 attacks."

RQ:G Bestiary says:

P166: “The first time this spirit succeeds in spirit combat that is not successfully defended against, it infects the victim with the acute version of any disease it carries. For each subsequent success, it infects the victim with another disease or with the next degree version of a previous infection. After the disease spirit has infected its victim with the chronic version of each disease carried, the disease spirit will try to withdraw to infect a new victim”

P169: “The initial spirit combat attack is normal. But if the disease spirit succeeds in an attack when the victim fails, the spirit can try to infect the target with any of the diseases it is carrying. This infection requires another roll overcoming the target’s Spirit Combat skill, as if the disease spirit was trying to possess the victim.”

I presume based on Bestiary that Acute is less than Chronic. Otherwise, there would be no need for the spirit to have “each subsequent success”, as it would already have exceeded Chronic. The next version should use the term 'serious' rather than chronic.

Q2: Does the disease spirit inflict normal MP damage when it succeeds? I presume so.

Q3: P166 implies the there is no second roll to infect. P169 says 'requires another roll overcoming the target's Spirit Combat skill'. Which is it?

Q4: Is it intended for disease spirits to only inflict a max 1d6 magic points (at standard 3d6+6 POW)? If the answer to Q2 is 'no', there is no need to answer this.

• Like 1

A small cross post at the suggestion of Soltakss:

I understand that a weapon or shield can take twice it's normal HPs in damage before it's destroyed. Given this my question relates to the Parry table on page 199 of RG:Q and the "Parrying a Critical Hit" text of page 200:

In the case of a critical attack vs a normal parry, the parry chart shows that the defender's weapon/shield has it's HP reduced by the damage rolled. However in the blurb on page 200 it states that while the weapon/shield blocks the damage it normally would, it receives double the damage from the attack. To my mind, as written, this makes little sense...

if I have an undamaged small shield imposed against a critically attacking broad sword, the broad sword will deal max damage (18 + damage bonus). The small shield then absorbs 8 damage as normal but (assuming no damage bonus) there are still 10 point of damage left to account for which, rules as written, doubles against the shield.

This would mean that the shield takes 20 points of damage, being effectively annihilated, while the defender receives 10 points of damage that bypass armour.

I'm quite sure this is just a case of extremely confusing wording, but clarification would be grand.

• Like 1

Summon (spirit) is listed as a variable spell. Does this mean that a summoner needs to learn it to, say, level 15 to be able to use 15 mp on it to summon a spirit with 15 mp?

Or, is it really a 1 point spell, and you just boost it to whatever amount of mp you think the spirit in question has?

On 12/26/2019 at 3:10 PM, SNaomiScott said:

It would appear there are two different versions of the Rune Spell 'Crack', one as described in the RQG rulebook, pg 324 and one as described in the RQG Bestiary, pg 94.

Here is the updated version which will appear in the upcoming Cults of Glorantha and replaces the two previous versions:

Crack 
Chaos, Disorder 
2 Points 
Ranged, Instant, Stackable
This spell must be cast at a non-living, non-magical object, such as a piece of armor, a weapon, or a shield. If successful, it causes the item to crack and break into many pieces. If stacked, more than one item carried or worn by the spell's target may be shattered at once.

If a spirit lives in the item, the caster’s POW must overcome the POW of the spirit to let the spell work. The spell has no effect on spell matrices, crystals, or on elf bows of magical nature. Temporal spirit magic, Rune magic, or sorcery does not make the item proof against the spell, the caster may boost with magic points to overcome the magic at 2 points per Rune point, 1 point per point of spirit magic, or 1 point per sorcery strength. The caster may also boost with magic points to help penetrate Shield, Countermagic or similar defensive spells. 

A Repair spell will fix a broken object.

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 2

Should a rune spell be listed as non-stackable to be not usable with extension spell?

In other way is there 3 différents kind of spells, stackable ones, non-stackable ones and a third category that contains the others spells?

On the official character sheet, Customs (local) does not get an Experience tick box, but Customs (other) does. Is this intended? Or are they both not supposed to be affected by Experience?

(The latter would be my guess, but I thought I'd ask)

Which armors can be worn under other armor differs significantly between the chart and the rules text. Which is correct?

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 2:13 PM, Jason Durall said:

What are you trying to do when you're figuring a penalty? If you're attacking and the ability to attack is modified due to a penalty, use that. If you're trying to parry and your ability to parry is modified, use that. 

Split. You're diverting your focus into two 75% usages. Penalties should be applied to the 75%.

Answers added to Q&A

Hi

I'm still unclear on how the multiple parry rule works with split attacks. I posted this question but it appears to have been deleted without answer, not sure whether that was in error? I'll try again:

When an attack is split evenly it seems straight forward to calculate the corresponding starting parry %. However if an attack is split unevenly its not clear which split % chance to use as the starting point for the parries? 

The standard parry rule in RQG already accounts for multiple parries, so my presumption is that parries are not going to follow attacks in being "split" to defend against multiple attacks from different sources. If my presumption is right, when a combatant splits their attack unevenly, which of the split values forms the basis for their starting parry % chance?

With One-use Rune Magic, after casting do you loose the spell as well as the associated Rune points, or is it just the Rune points? 

So in other words will characters be needing to sacrifice Power again to regain the spell after casting? p316 of RQG is not clear on this.

23 minutes ago, 7Tigers said:

It's a mess, it's incomplete, it mixes pretty answers to pretty obvious questions with radical rules changes, it only rarely actually addresses faults in the rules, it's not clear what is official, it is perhaps not always fully thought through, it's difficult to navigate and search...

An errata collection, ideally then used to update the PDF and subsequent printings, is something completely different than a collection of Q&As.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

It's a mess, it's incomplete, it mixes pretty answers to pretty obvious questions with radical rules changes, it only rarely actually addresses faults in the rules, it's not clear what is official, it is perhaps not always fully thought through, it's difficult to navigate and search...

An errata collection, ideally then used to update the PDF and subsequent printings, is something completely different than a collection of Q&As.

And may I add, sometimes the response given is less than professional! IIRC, there's one where the response was merely a c&p followed by the comment "was this not clear enough for you?" (Slightly paraphrased - trust me, only slightly!)

What happens when you drop below a Rune Point requirement for a cult position, due to one use spells or DI? Reasonably, that should result in a suspended position similar to when a Priest drops below 18 POW, but it's not in the rules.

Does anything happens to cult status if an Initiate drops to 0 permanent Rune Points (again, due to DI or one-use spells, for instance)?

Who counts as a "person" for purposes of the Peace rune spell? Having the Man rune? Are Dragonewts and Dwarves people?

Edited by Akhôrahil

On 2/11/2020 at 5:21 PM, Akhôrahil said:

The Invigorate rune spell is in the rulebook, but no cult has access to it. Is this intentional?

Yes. It's included as it's part of the Conversion Guide. See the Spirit Magic Conversion table on page 435.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Yes. It's included as it's part of the Conversion Guide. See the Spirit Magic Conversion table on page 435.

How does this conversion work in practice, though? "I used to have Endurance, but now after conversion I instead have the Invigorate rune spell that no cult in fact provides"? How is it even cast in this case? With what Rune Points?

Edited by Akhôrahil

The example of Spell Trading implies that the trading characters need to roll under their appropriate Rune rating ("Biturian rolls a 55, well under his Movement Rune of 92%"), but this is not stated in the rules ("Each player simultaneously rolls a D100. If 1–95 is rolled by both, the spell was traded successfully").#

Is the Rune roll needed at the time of trading, and if so what happens on a normal failure?

Edited by PhilHibbs

In the allied spirits section of the rules (and in the Gods preview) some cults can get an elemental as an allied spirit. But there is nothing about how this would work in the rules. 
So, some questions.

What size of elemental?

Is it permanently incorporated or does it spend time discorporate or in an object? 

What are it’s stats? Does it have the normal 3D6 POW of an allied spirit?

if it is ‘killed’ through hit point loss, is it permanently dead and you need to do something heroic to gain a new allied spirit, or does it just need to be resummoned? 

Edited by davecake

Another allied spirit question - if the POW of the animal is different to 3D6, does an allied spirit have the POW of the animal?

This would be a nice bonus for Orlanth, as Shadowcats have a POW of 2d6 +12.