Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mechashef

Sorcery and the Magic Rune

Recommended Posts

This is probably more a case of me just misunderstanding instead of an error in the text.

On Page 391 under the section "SPELL NAME" it states:

Quote

The presence of the Magic Rune indicates that this spell can be used with any Rune

What does that mean?

For example, the spell Drain Soul has the Magic Rune and the Dispel Technique. 

Does a Sorcerer need to know the Magic Rune and the Dispel Technique (directly or indirectly) or could (for example) they learn the Drain Soul spell if the know the Darkness Rune and the Dispel Technique, or the Stasis Rune and the Dispel technique? 

 

Thanks

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without referencing the text, that sounds like it's a parallel case to how Rune magic works. So, the Magic Rune can basically be replaced by any Rune the sorcerer has mastered, as long as he's mastered at least one Rune. For example, the Rune spell Command Cult Spirit has (I believe) the Magic Rune, but can be cast rolling on any of the cult's Rune affinities. So followers of Orlanth could use the Air Rune, Movement Rune, etc. I'm guessing it's the same in your quoted section for sorcery; the sorcerer could use any of his mastered Runes as the Rune for casting Drain Soul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Crel said:

Without referencing the text, that sounds like it's a parallel case to how Rune magic works. So, the Magic Rune can basically be replaced by any Rune the sorcerer has mastered, as long as he's mastered at least one Rune. For example, the Rune spell Command Cult Spirit has (I believe) the Magic Rune, but can be cast rolling on any of the cult's Rune affinities. So followers of Orlanth could use the Air Rune, Movement Rune, etc. I'm guessing it's the same in your quoted section for sorcery; the sorcerer could use any of his mastered Runes as the Rune for casting Drain Soul.

So if a sorcerer casts Drain Soul using the Air Rune instead of the Magic Rune, does the Air Rune count as a minor or opposed Rune to the Magic Rune and thus cause a doubling of the required Magic Points?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Magic Rune is a wild card, it simply lets you substitute any other Rune - so the Drain Souls would be (in your case) Air + Dispel, as long as it's a Rune you have mastered then the costs are minimal. 

Note that the Magic Rune is not listed as one of the Sorcery Elemental, Power or Form runes, and in itself should not be taken as a Sorcery Rune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Psullie said:

Note that the Magic Rune is not listed as one of the Sorcery Elemental, Power or Form runes, and in itself should not be taken as a Sorcery Rune.

However on P389 for the Malkioni it states:

Quote

At age 13, the novitiate selects three Runes (the Spirit Rune, an Elemental Rune, and either a Power Rune or the Magic Rune) ...

(Emphasis mine)

So it is apparently a valid Rune to select.

There seems to be a contradiction in this chapter regarding the Magic Rune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mechashef said:

However on P389 for the Malkioni it states:

...

So it is apparently a valid Rune to select.

There seems to be a contradiction in this chapter regarding the Magic Rune.

I suspect p389 is wrong, out of date, given that the Magic Rune is being used for something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I suspect p389 is wrong, out of date, given that the Magic Rune is being used for something else.

Page 389 is within the context of the Malkioni culture. Needless to say the Malkioni will make a much greater use of sorcery than say Lhankor Mhy.

Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Mechashef said:

However on P389 for the Malkioni it states:

(Emphasis mine)

So it is apparently a valid Rune to select.

There seems to be a contradiction in this chapter regarding the Magic Rune.

Just use whatever rune you like when casting Drain Soul. I don't see anything that contradicts that.

Edited by simonh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Page 389 is within the context of the Malkioni culture. Needless to say the Malkioni will make a much greater use of sorcery than say Lhankor Mhy.

Jeff

Isn't that's going to be a bit confusing when the sorcery mechanics has two uses for the Magic Rune - one as a wild card in a spell's rune list, and one as a thing the Malkioni can use for something different?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

Isn't that's going to be a bit confusing when the sorcery mechanics has two uses for the Magic Rune - one as a wild card in a spell's rune list, and one as a thing the Malkioni can use for something different?

Who says it has to be different, I'm just spit-balling here but what if the Magic Rune was a wild card/neutral condition that could be used be lieu of any Rune, it would make the Malkioni powerful sorcerers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what about Castback which has Magic plus Stasis plus two techniques?

And Identify Spell and Pierce Veil which both have Magic and Truth and a technique?

Can the required Runes be used a second time in place of the Magic Rune?

Can Identify Spell be cast using Truth and Truth again and the technique? 

 

Is the Magic Rune really only being used to add an extra Magic Point to the base Spell?

Or is it to place a limit on those spells so that an adventurer needs to know multiple Runes to use them?

 

It does seem poorly written. Considering that the spells using the Magic Rune do all seem to have something to do with magic it feels like it was a valid Rune that was changed at the last moment.

 

Perhaps a better approach would have been to lower the INT requirement by one (so they can learn one more Rune) and give every sorcerer the Magic Rune as their initial one which is used to understand Sorcerous Magic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mechashef said:

So what about Castback which has Magic plus Stasis plus two techniques?

And Identify Spell and Pierce Veil which both have Magic and Truth and a technique?

Can the required Runes be used a second time in place of the Magic Rune?

Can Identify Spell be cast using Truth and Truth again and the technique? 

this was exactly the question I posted to the Q&A forum...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Psullie said:

this was exactly the question I posted to the Q&A forum...

Yes, but by posting it here, anyone can offer their opinions on it. The Q&A is for official answers only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mechashef said:

So what about Castback which has Magic plus Stasis plus two techniques?

And Identify Spell and Pierce Veil which both have Magic and Truth and a technique?

Hm. Another possibility (other than it just being an "any other rune" wildcard), those spell write-ups date back to an earlier version of the rules in which the Magic Rune was just like any other - and perhaps it is still supposed to work like that. Then someone decided they needed a wildcard, and copied the Rune Magic system of using the Magic Rune, even though the Magic Rune is also used for its own purposes for spells that relate directly to magic.

My bet is, the Magic Rune works just like any other rune, but also has been used as a wildcard. If so, they need to pick a different wildcard, like maybe a question mark instead of a real rune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Mechashef said:

My apologies. 

I hadn’t seen your post there.

no need to apologise I was just commenting on how we both came to the same conclusion. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×