Greg Stafford Condolence Thread

MOB

We have created this special Condolence Thread for messages from the gaming community of condolence, and remembrance, and celebration, about Greg Stafford.

If you would like to show your appreciation for his life and legacy, or express your feelings, or pay your respects, please feel free to leave a note here. Greg's wife Suzanne and his family know that he was greatly loved, respected and revered in the gaming community all over the world, and they have the link to this thread to read your posts when they are ready.

Greg's family request that you respect their privacy in this time of grief. 

Edited by MOB
  • Like 11
  • Sad 2

• MOB changed the title to Greg Stafford Condolence Thread

Greg-GenCon.jpeg.77fd6f885a8ff92d27bbd2d93c588601.jpeg

Vale Greg Stafford (1948 - 2018)

The shock and grief the Chaosium family felt at the news of the passing of our beloved and revered company founder, Greg Stafford, cannot be measured. Greg died yesterday in his sweat lodge at his home in Arcata, CA. Mercifully, his passing was painless and quick. He died as he lived, on a spiritual quest of enlightenment.

As one of the greatest game designers of all time; winner of too many awards to count; and a friend, mentor, guide, and inspiration to generations of gamers, “the Grand Shaman of Gaming” influenced the universe of tabletop gaming beyond measure.

Greg founded The Chaosium in 1975, and from the outset (to quote his own words) “was never content to imitate, but instead published games that were original in their style of play, content and design”. Under his leadership, the company quickly became renowned for its originality and creativity, and was responsible for introducing numerous things to the hobby that are standards today. As John Wick (7th Sea, Legend of the Five Rings) memorably said, “The older I get, the more I hear young RPG designers say ‘Never been done before!’ And then I just point at something Greg Stafford did a few decades ago.”

Greg’s work in roleplaying games, board games, and fiction have been acclaimed as some of the most engaging and innovative of all time. There will doubtless be many valedictory messages over the coming days from the countless people that Greg inspired and enthused across his many interests and passions - Glorantha, Oaxaca, King Arthur, shamanism, mythology and more.

For now, we leave you with the words of the Myth maker himself, speaking at the 2018 ENnies Awards ceremony, his last public engagement. Greg was immensely proud of the work Chaosium had done in recent years, particularly since his return as chair of the board in 2015. Ultimately, on reflection, he recognized that everyone’s success in the gaming industry was down to the enthusiasm and support of the fans. We at Chaosium recognize that countless RPG fans are fans (including us!) because of Greg Stafford and what he achieved.

Our heartfelt condolences to Greg’s wife Suzanne, and his children Noah, Alisha, Jason, and their families. 

Vale Greg—from the team at Chaosium
#WeAreAllUs

Edited by MOB
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 3

• MOB pinned and featured this topic

Greg was one of the greats in the roleplaying community. His Glorantha is a wholly innovative fantasy setting, unlike anything else in the gaming community: a world of myths and legends that has depth far beyond the surface of its modern-day. But Greg was more than that because he saw and embraced the creative vision in others as well. He worked with creators such as Steve Perrin and Robin Laws to design game systems for his magnificent world and he also helped to bring to life other totally disparate settings, such as Ken St. Andre's Stormbringer and Sandy Petersen's Call of Cthulhu. To be able to fulfill one's own creative vision is great, but to empower others, that goes far beyond.

I will personally remember Greg as the wise sage who supported me when I began to write about the Aldryami in the early '90s, who welcomed me into Chaosium with a smile at how little they could pay, and who would sit in his office at 950-A 56th Street, pontificating on his world, but at the same time carefully listening to the ideas of others. 

I am shocked by his passing and offer my greatest condolences to Suzanne and the rest of his family.

Edited by ShannonA
  • Like 19

I feel the same sick punch in the gut that I felt the night I heard that Roger Zelazny had died. Greg was the man I most respected in Gaming. Greg and I mostly went our separate ways, but I like to think we were friends, and it always hurts to lose a friend. It's just like you, Greg, to slip off on a new adventure of your own without telling anybody you were going.  Fare thee well, Greg on your latest journey. 

• Like 27

Greg you changed my life. I was exposed to Glorantha in 1980 as 7th grader and life has been richer for it ever since. Your work confirmed my love for mythology and inspired me to investigate many aspects of world history and culture that I otherwise may have missed. Now my daughter is a Glorantha fan and the wheel turns. 

My condolences to his family.

Edited by ScottK
  • Like 5

Gosh, just saw this on The RPG Site. Greg will be missed. I wish I had had the time to play in his game at Gencon, but I'm glad I at least was able to chat with him for a few minutes and surprise him with a young looking guy with a well loved copy of RQ1 to sign.

Frank Filz

• Like 2

I had the honor of meeting Mr. Stafford a few years back at Gen Con. He signed my Atlases of Glorantha the year I purchased them. He was part of the reason I sprang for the massive tomes. Like Dave Arneson he was a worldbuilder's worldbuilder. His vision of fantasy had a huge influence on me and he'll be missed not just by me but by the whole tabletop game industry. I remember the Design Mechanism cartographer showing me scans of Mr. Stafford's maps of Dragon Pass. It's a treasured memory. Glorantha set the standard for familiar and yet unfamiliar fantasy with ducks, trolls, and plant-based elves. As a D&D rabid kid, Glorantha was a much-needed kick in the head. Safe journeys Mr. Stafford.

• Like 5

I only met Greg twice, but his work has brought me into worlds I could have never seen without his influence. It has given me new avenues to friendships and creative outlets that would have never been fostered without him.

He was friendly and engaging when I got the chance to speak with him, and his various works will keep his wit, humor, and genius alive for me and all of my friends for the remainder of our time on the path.

See you in the clearing, Greg. You will be missed.

• Like 2

Very sad to hear this. Greg was always very friendly and open, always ready to listen to fanboys and answer questions and remembered people's names who he had only met once or twice. I always had the impression that he genuinely liked doing the promotional tours and meeting people. His legacy in RPGs, with Glorantha, RuneQuest, HeroQuest. Call of Cthulhu and all the other BRP games, stands alongside those of the other RPG greats who have passed away.

• Like 7

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Very sad to hear the news.  I enjoyed the worlds created by Greg and his colleagues and played them back in the early 80s and on into my adult life. 

I still enjoy playing with my sons and their friends.

We will raise a toast to his memory and remember him in the games and worlds he helped bring to us.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Bill. (Perth, Australia).

• Like 2

The stories I first read in Dragon Pass (White Bear Red Moon) captivated me, and still inspire me today, decades later.  The first Rune Lord-Priest.  The first Heroquester of Glorantha.

May Arachne Solara bless and protect his soul.

May Lhankor Mhy anoint his stories and hallow his secrets.

May Waha guide his spirit to the Happy Herding Grounds.

May we meet with Greg again, for We are all us.

Edited by ingot
  • Like 8

I met Greg face to face for the first time in 1997, after a good decade of playing in his universes, and in 2010 for the last time. I must say that as a person, he was even better than as a game author. Which is something, given his track record as a designer.

Greg shared his dreams with us, and we will continue to live his dream now that he is no longer with us.

My thoughts go to Suzanne, who loved, accompanied and took care of this exceptional person for so many years, and certainly made his last days happier; and to all of his family. 

• Like 8

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM