Greg Stafford Condolence Thread

MOB

I just lost a member of my family on September 24th, then Carlos Ezquerra of 2000 AD on October 1st, and now Greg's passed.

I'm finding it hard to process all of this. Greg's death has left me stunned and reeling.

Rest easy, Greg. I am sorry we never got a chance to meet.

• Like 2

Author of Fioracitta for Mythras and the 2d6 SFRPG setting of Castrobancla.

Many, many years ago when I worked for West End Games, I was fortunate enough to meet Greg. He was always both a consummate professional and gentleman. He was always eager to share his knowledge and advice about both business and gaming with this young novice. Although I had not seen Greg in years I retain fond memories of him and his work. One of the icons in the hobby he will be deeply missed. My condolences to Greg's family and to everyone who worked with him over the years. 

• Like 1

I first discovered RQ in late 1977 early 1978. Since then I have played it thousands of hours. I have guided heroes and near-do-wells into and out of dangers and historical events in Glorantha. I met my wife because of RQ, and have been married 30 years in a few weeks. Made friends, lost friends, and lived a life full of Chaosium. To say I owe Greg is an understatement. While I would have still been a gamer, and would have had a life free of D&D, he made it sooooo much easier and better.

I hope the lodge had the path he was seeking when he walked on ahead of us. We all die, we will all die, it is a good thing to die well, it is a better thing to live well. Greg did the better thing, I think.

In my culture we don't say goodbye (I am Cherokee), we say, "I will talk with you when I get there." But I would also like to add, "Thanks for all the clacks."

• Like 1

I've kept buying everything RQ over the decades since 1981 or so when I first saw Runequest - even though I haven't played RQ - or any other Gloranthan game other than King of Dragon Pass - for years, and still love Glorantha as well as the BRP system family. He'll be missed.
My condolences to his family.

Edited by xdy
  • Like 1

My condolences to the Stafford family in this trying time. Thank you for Chaosium. It holds a special place in my heart; I played RuneQuest when it first came out (still itching to get in my 'next' game); I played Stormbringer when it first came out (again, looking for my 'next' game). Those systems were so different at the time.

RIP.

• Like 1

As I said to others when passing on the news, "pretty much anything you enjoy in RPGs which doesn't directly derive from D&D or D&D-like play can be traced back to something Greg did or influenced".

Chaosium's games have been the standard against which I measure all other RPGs for a good long time now, and it's rare that a game has beaten Chaosium on its own turf.

On top of that, I think it's no accident that of the list of games at the back of 1st edition Vampire: the Masquerade that are cited as influencing that RPG, three of the ones listed are Chaosium releases (RQ, COC and Pendragon), and two of those are very much Greg efforts.

You take everyone that Greg and Chaosium directly influenced, and then you add on everyone that those folks influenced in turn... and it's hard not to conclude that Greg was the most  important and influential thinker in the history of RPG design since Gygax - and without Greg's contributions our hobby might have been much more narrow than it would have otherwise been. The sense of place, of belonging to a community, of your character having an existence and stakes in the world rather than being a mere visitor who didn't care about anything beyond personal enrichment, even the idea that what we do in our hobby could be considered to have literary or artistic merit, or could touch us on a deeper emotional level than the mere rush of getting a good roll in combat - I trace that largely back to RuneQuest and to Greg.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends. I am really glad he lived to see Chaosium pass on to new, steady hands, and to see RuneQuest return home to Glorantha in the new edition.

Edited by Warthur
  • Like 2

I first met Greg in 1975 while I was in law school in Berkeley.  I had purchased a game called "White Bear, Red Moon," but couldn't find anyone to play it with.  I noticed that the designer lived nearby, called him, and we made a date to play.  After I made my first move, Greg stared at the board for a while, and then ran to call one of his friends, saying, "Come over here quick! I just found someone who understands the rules!"

We remained friends throughout the years, although distance separated us much of the time.  I was privileged to get a couple of opportunities to participate in some of his RuneQuest sessions.  More importantly, though, was that he was a comfortable and valued friend, quick with a smile and a wicked sense of humor.  

I will miss Greg, and hope that Daka Fal sees fit to put me into whichever heaven Greg has been allocated.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Very sorry to hear this sad news - my heartfelt condolences to Suzanne and her family at this difficult time. I had the privilege of meeting Greg a few times at UK conventions. His kindness and boundless enthusiasm will be sorely missed, but never forgotten. He gave us better worlds, and will always live on in them, with all our other heroes.

• Like 2

He was certainly the last of the founders of our hobby. His creations survive him and his legacy reminds us that imagination knows no limits.

It is difficult for me to express how Glorantha, his most beautiful creation, touched me, resonated with my perception of the world and contributed to my personality.

My sincere condolences to his family and loved ones.

• Like 1

My heartfelt condolences go out to Greg's wife and family.

Like many others here, I have derived great enjoyment from Greg's work over the years--most notably what he did to create or "channel" Glorantha.

I only met him once, and I was blown away. He was a magnetic public speaker and even more, he was gracious, generous, thoughtful, and charming when I had the chance to speak one-on-one with him.

In short, what he did and who he was made my life a little better.

• Like 2

My condolences to his family, though what words will make a difference?

Greg gave me several of the most important moments of my life. When he asked me to work with him on one of my little corners of Glorantha, when he published the result as a joint article; when I asked him to tell a story from memory and then he thanked me because it worked better than the story he had just read aloud; when I received a authoring credit with him (let’s be honest, mine was a tiny tertiary credit).

The hours (days? weeks?) reading his creation of Glorantha. The vast amount of time online reading others’ interpretation of his vision and arguing the details. And the friends that I made around the world due to him bringing us together.

Greg, your going leaves a big hole in my world. Safe Travels.

Edited by Charles
  • Like 4

For both my friend and I, working on Glorantha signed our debut as RPG authors and the beginning of our friendship. It was 2001. Since then, that said friend ended up meeting with him and his family, and they became friends. If I had also met Greg Stafford, I would have thanked him, genuinely, for this turn in my life. My condolences go to his family, and I wish to say that the monument he built will never suffer the fate of our mortal lives. May he rest in peace.

Thank you, Greg Stafford.

• Like 1

I don't have a lot of words right now. Having a lot of emotions. I met Greg at this past GenCon at the Chaosium Booth. He photo bombed me and then signed my Pendragon books.
He really made the Con for me. I'm still reading through all of the supplements and now I absolutely will run this game. Man. I think the best way to remember him is to keep playing games.

• Like 2

I did not have the pleasure to meet or interact with Mr. Stafford.  However, about 12 years ago I tracked down a copy of Prince Valiant in order to use it to introduce my then six year old son to RPGs.  We had a blast.  Mr. Stafford's game allowed me to create memories with my son that neither of us will ever forget.  Thank you, Mr. Stafford for that gift.

Edited by Narmer
  • Like 2

I only met Greg a few times. At Gen Cons and at the one Glorantha-focused convention I attended. He was always gracious and approachable, contributing to conversations as well as to game play itself. His games have had a deep and wide impact upon the hobby and industry and his influence will be felt for years to come. We are so lucky to have his work.

My deepest sympathy to his family and also to those that worked with him and knew him better than the rest of us. I cannot comprehend your loss, but know that I feel some small echo of it as well.

• Like 3

First met Greg at RQCon in Baltimore one very cold January ('94? '95?) Didn't see him again until GenCon 17 where this picture was taken. Met him again this past GenCon - where he signed my copy of RQG. Every time - approachable, kind, and smiling. From one Greg to another - thank you.

IMG_2182.JPG

• Like 5

My prayers and wishes go  out to Greg's Family. I will say "Kaddish" at Schul tonight.  We met a couple of times at conventions and I felt that he was a friend with which I could share my heart.  I was happy that he appreciated  and liked the Passover Regalia I sent him.  I am grateful for our conversations and exchanges; ,they enriched my life and kept me going.  HIs imagined worlds and games have kept me young at heart and revel in marvels.  Thank you.

To Suzanne and his family, " May the Source of Peace send you Peace and bring comfort to all those who Mourn."

• Like 2