Greg Stafford Condolence Thread

MOB

18 hours ago, MOB said:

We have created this special Condolence Thread for messages from the gaming community of condolence, and remembrance, and celebration, about Greg Stafford.

If you would like to show your appreciation for his life and legacy, or express your feelings, or pay your respects, please feel free to leave a note here. Greg's wife Suzanne and his family know that he was greatly loved, respected and revered in the gaming community all over the world, and they have the link to this thread to read your posts when they are ready.

Greg's family request that you respect their privacy in this time of grief. 

It's with a heavy heart that I read of Greg's passing. My condolences to his Family. I discovered Chaosium and Runequest in the 80s. This rich, wonderful work of art inspired countless hours with folks I remain friends with more than 30 years later. Exploration, epic feats, gruesome encounters and dreams were made. I remember those days, made possible by Dreamers for Dreamers, and raise a tankard, and Thank you for sharing so much with innumerous folks who consider Greg friend. Salute!

• Like 2

I've run Pendragon on a regular basis since its initial publication.  As a matter-of-fact, I am typing this before I leave to run another session.  I am grateful to Greg for the imagination, dedication, beauty and passion he put into his games over the years.  Although I never had the honor of meeting him in person, he has been an important part of my life through the medium of this hobby.  I offer my heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.  May he rest in peace.

• Like 2

Thank you so much, Greg Stafford, for everything you taught us to do.

You took gaming so seriously that you changed our whole perspective on RPGs.

You had such a deep understanding of myth that you taught us how to live and dream new myths.

You always seemed so gentle and so wise. 

One of my favorite things (apart from games) about your writings was the fact that you were able to play with footnotes and academic research in King of Dragon Pass. It's a wonderful work which made me think not only of Silmarilion but of the humor you can find in Borges or Nabokov. . 

We will miss you but we know we were lucky to have known you. Sit tibi terra levis. Rest in Power. 

• Like 2

I didn't know Greg personally, but only through his creations.  I extend my condolances to his wife, family and friends.

There were giants in those days.  Greg was one.

Edited by Bill
Incomplete sentence in original post.
  • Like 2

Thank you for all the joy you gave me weaver of myths! Today a piece of the boy I was goes with you beyond the mists.     

"At the water's edge now is a black barge, and upon it four ladies in black. When they see the king, they shriek and weep. "Put me on the barge," commands the king. The women crowd around him, and one takes his head on her lap. "Ah my brother, you have tarried". (Greg Stafford, The Great Pendragon Campaign, Year 565).

REX QUONDAM REXQUE FUTURUS

Heartfelt condolences to Greg's family and those who loved him.  He was a great gift to many of us.

• Like 3

Collaborating with Greg was always a crazy creative fermentation process. You'd think you had something nailed down, and then "whoosh!" something you didn't predict would come fizzing up where you least expected it. But the flavours! Oh, boy, they made the whole painful process worth while. He was generous to a fault, and I will miss him more than I can say.

Shamans tell us stories about what happens in other worlds, and - through sympathetic knowledge, and perhaps a little sleight of hand - they help to cure us of our ills. Greg was a true Shaman.

• Like 14

I was so sad to hear this news today, a giant has passed. I have been following Glorantha for more than 30 years but I only met Greg once in person, when he brought me a signed hardback copy of the original HeroQuest rules when I was visiting San Francisco. I was star-struck and he was very kind. I will take my book down from the shelf tonight and think of him sitting in Orlanth's Hall

• Like 3

I started boardgames in 1974, roleplaying in 1977, and discovered White Bear and Red Moon shortly thereafter when I met Greg at a local game convention. He was awesome, supportive, intelligent, and benevolent over the years. I have fond memories of playing Runequest and Call of Cthulhu in the Chaosium Albany basement. I’ll miss him.

Edited by Lord Mhor
  • Like 2

Ave atque vale, Greg; Glorantha is the most enduring and iconic game setting out there, and will continue to be so. 

I've been visiting Glorantha for over 35 years now, but I am still delighted by the ability of your world to surprise and enthrall.

Your legacy is in good hands.

• Like 2

Greg Stafford touched so many lives with such magic that it is literally impossible to describe the feeling of his departure. I'm not even sure I can describe what it means to me -- I found out about three hours ago and I'm still trying to form words.

But I can say that he was everything I ever dreamed and hoped he was when I met him over 20 years ago. He was an unfailingly kind and thoughtful friend, a boon companion, and a magnificent and path-breaking game designer whose 33-year-old masterpiece King Arthur Pendragon remains well in advance of the state of the art. He defined the Charisma stat in person, and the Intelligence and Power stats in conversation and creation.

I have so many fond memories of him, from first cracking open Call of Cthulhu, to getting an email from GREG STAFFORD HIS OWN SELF asking what book I wanted to write for his company, to having him run Pendragon for me one night, to getting my author's copy of the Prince Valiant RPG Episode Book two days ago -- and those are just the gaming-direct memories.

There's also the late-night riffing on the movie Anaconda when we shared a room at some con or other, the walking tour of the Haight peppered with hilariously cruel jokes about the Grateful Dead, the long-form talks about myth and gods and monsters, and the unique delight of introducing Greg to a new drug called Stilton cheese. Dozens of kindnesses, personal and professional; they seemed to grow from him naturally, like leaves off the Green Knight.

Greg was a personal hero of mine, as well as a culture-hero to my people. He showed me his rune, and I've been trying to master it for decades.

Yep, I was right, I can't describe what Greg's departure means to me. This will have to do. Ave atque vale, Greg, rex quondam et rex futurus ludorum.

• Like 14

I met Greg twice in France, twice at the Gen Con (Milwaukee). He was always joyful, listening. He was young I was younger, his eyes were always full of dreams but at the same time his feet stand on the ground.

I made a special issue of Casus Belli (French RPG magazine) about 101 of playing RPGs. I was trying to get the best  RPG creators on it. On the five I contacted, Greg was one of the two americans I chose. He accepted, but due to the small amount of time I gave him (it was going to be our last issue) he had to decline. It was not the time, now either.

But Greg succeded at something with me, he convinced me to vote for the great Cthulhu; (why choose the lesser Evil)

• Like 2

This is indeed sad news.

Shortly after my introduction to rpgs in high school I found and began playing Runquest 2. Little did I know how immersed my friends & I would be in the Gloranthan universe & the lore therein. It has been an integral part of my life for over 30 years.

I offer my sincere condolences to Mr Stafford's family in their time of grief.

• Like 2

Passing on condolences to Greg's wider family and to Micheal and all the Chaosium family past and present at the loss of a truly powerful creative genius. Truly sad news 

Greg Stafford leaves a legacy that in the last few years got re-ignited and has now resulted in a new edition of it's original flagship title Runequest. I'm glad he got to be a part of this massive refresh and revival. His Gloranthan universe has fresh life and is in solid hands. 

In their time of grief my heart goes out to Greg's surviving family.

• Like 2

Mind is flashing back a decade to when the world lost Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, when I hear the news today, that Greg Stafford is now gone.

These men are among those whose works saved my life - I cannot understate that. Without RPGs, I probably wouldn't have had any friends at all for most of my childhood and adolescence. Even today, that's where most of my friendships come from.

Everybody has their time and season - I'd really appreciate it if this could stop happening for at least a few decades.

These people built worlds for the rest of us to play in. And this world is a poorer place for their leaving it.

• Like 2