Greg Stafford Condolence Thread

MOB

Truly the last of our Great Old Ones and my heart goes out to all his family and friends. 

It is nearly 40 years - pretty much my whole adult life - since my teenage self picked up the boxed set of Runequest 2 in the original and then only Games Workshop in London and since then Greg's worlds and games have given me countless hours of enjoyment. 

And some of my warmest memories of gaming are Greg's talks and seminars at conventions going back 25 years or so and I only wish I'd been able to attend more of those Convulsions and Tentacles and Krakens.

And thanks to RuneQuest Glorantha I've been re-reading all my old RQ and HQ game books - a small mountain of which are literally piled up on my bed now.

My house lacks any troll-ish beverages but IIRC Greg was a lover of things Mexican so I will tonight toast his memory with a Margarita or two.

Descansa en paz.

• Like 2

I have never met Greg personally and I only got into Chaosium products in 2016.  But as a lifelong gamer, we should all owe a debt of gratitude to  Greg for pushing the boundaries of this hobby and bringing a wide variety of interests into it.

• Like 1

My first experience with Role Playing Games was with D&D and then with AD&D. But the game that really hooked me up and changed everything about my perception of what role playing could be was RuneQuest 2 and its incredible setting Glorantha.

Too many great designers have already passed away but Greg Stafford's name is associated with more found memories to me than all of the others united. After all these years, I am still exploring Glorantha and learning about this imaginary world. This never ending quest goes on.

I don't have the privilege to have met mister Greg Stafford but I would like to express my sympathy to his family, his friends and the Chaosium team.

• Like 1

I woke this morning here in NZ to this news, and it's very sad. 

Deepest condolences to Greg's friends and family. In all the interactions I've ever had or seen with him and others, he's been a real gentleman.

He is, of course, a gaming god, and one hopes that he finds his place up there where he belongs. Regardless, his legacy in gaming is huge and will continue for a very long time. 

Edited by TrippyHippy
  • Like 1

It was Greg Stafford created the world, Glorantha, that I have wandered in most outside of my own. 

It was Greg Stafford who midwifed the RPG that has brought me the most joy in GMing, Call of Cthulhu.

It was Greg Stafford who, when he needed more material for his grand opus, The Great Pendragon Campaign bought my scenario, The Adventure of the Faire of the Woods, and liked it so much he asked me to contribute even more material, which he also bought. 

It was Greg Stafford who gave me the greatest validation I have ever had as a writer, when he told me he was proud that after trying for nearly 10 years to get that scenario published, it finally appeared in the GPC. 

It was Greg Stafford who, when Hurricane Rita hit Houston, warned me to get an ax, in case I need to carve out a hole in the roof to escape rising flood waters (this was the same year that Katrina hit New Orleans).

And it was Greg Stafford who, when he saw a description I had written of the storm, wrote that I was a kindred spirit, and that things would get better. 

And this man wasn't my friend. He was just an acquaintance, and yet he had all these effects on me. I cannot imagine the profound imprint that he had on guys like Jeff Richard, Nick Brooke, MOB, and others, much less his family. 

I wrote this for his birthday some years ago.

For Greg Stafford, on the occasion of his sixty-sixth birthday

How many walkers are left

who travel the woods of memory and song

reclaiming paths we had not even realized

were forgotten.

The old man stands before the fire

and tries to teach us

We watch, and move our lips as he speaks

trying to learn how to walk.

• Like 10

"It is not reasonable to assume Aristotle knew the Number of the Elect..." - Albertus Magnus

After being a KAP gamemaster for 19 years, and never having played it myself, I had the huge honour of playing in a KAP game for the first time, with Greg as GM, in Bacharach at Tentacles. That was definitely worth the wait....

My condolences to Susan, and the rest of his family.

Edited by Clydwich
unclear phrasing
  • Like 1

I do not know who I am, but I do know where i'm going!

A new god in the sky of Glorantha !

A big Thank you from France, Greg.
I will continue to explore all the worlds you have created. 

Condolences to your family and friends.
May all the gods be with you on your path to enlightenment.

Yves (Grenoble - France)

Edited by Zokoi
  • Like 1

My deepest condolences and sympathies to his family, friends, and colleagues.

I had the honor and privilege of knowing Greg, sharing a beer, and of having interned in his office and rummaged through his manuscripts for data entry, among other things. I learned a great many things from him.

I wish I could recall something profound that he said to me, that I could share, but I can't think of a single thing. Just him asking me questions and his smiling like a knowing shaman when I told him what I had learned.

• Like 2

There's a bright new star high in the Sky Dome.

I never met Greg, and only exchanged a very few emails with him, but his life and work have affected my life as they have so many others.

He had what some call an old wise soul.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 1

Greg’s creations have been a major part of my life over the years I have been gaming since I first discovered Glorantha and the Cthulhu mythos almost 40 years ago. It doesn’t seem real that he is gone, but I know that in spirit he will still be part of every game I play.

My condolences go out to Suzanne and the rest of his family.

• Like 1

My sympathy all around....

I remember when we were just getting started with RPG's.  I remember purchasing the "Little White Box" of D&D.  I remember buying =lots= of D&D material from Judges Guild.  But the game setting I knew best was Glorantha.  I've always appreciated the depth of this setting.  Greg seemed like he was somehow getting these messages from this other world sometimes.  He knew it best - and he shared that knowledge with us.  I can think of no better 'magnum opus' for Greg than his recent work on the two volume set of his Guide to Glorantha.  I feel certain that it will be used for many more years.  My deepest symphathies to any one whho was impacted by his passing.  We shall miss him.

• Like 1

I knew Greg Stafford first as the author of Pendragon, which blew my mind in all kinds of ways back then ... more than twenty years later, I finally made up my mind to take the dive into Glorantha, and again, Greg Stafford blew my mind. The first thing that came to this thoroughly blown mind of mine when I read the news of his passing was something selfish: I own a copy of the Guide to Glorantha signed by Jeff Richard; I always wanted it to become a copy signet by Jeff Richard AND Greg Stafford.

My thoughts are with Greg's friends and loved ones. I can only imagine how much he has enriched their lives, based on how much he has enriched mine by his writing.

• Like 1

I am deeply saddened at the passing of the Great Shaman. I will miss you, Greg. My deepest condolences to Suzanne and his children.

I am as deeply grateful to have met Greg in person, to have listened to his story-telling or readings, to have gamed with him, even to be called to do some work for him on Glorantha, and to explore the concept of transcendence under his guidance.

It was an honor and a joy.

• Like 5

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I'm devastated at the news.

Greg,  through Chaosium has defined much of whom I am in my likes and dislikes.

He introduced me to Stormbringer and Moorcock. To Cthulhu and Lovecraft. To Ringworld and Niven. To RuneQuest and Glorantha. To King Arthur Pendragon and The Great Pendragon Campaign.

My life would have been so empty without him and Chaosium.

I'm glad that I met him at Continuum in 2008, that he inspired me and others to form the Pendragon Eschille.

Thank you Greg.

Damon.

• Like 2

Likes to sneak around

115/420

RIP Greg Stafford. Since 1981 his creations have been the inspiration and the world where I have gathered my friends and enjoyed living in them so many many hours and still continue to do so. He has made such a positive impact on my life that it is hard to fathom. His contribution to our hobby has been immense. Thank you. We have lost the Grand Old One and he will be remembered... My sympathies for his family and friends in this darkest of times. 

• Like 2

I don't remember the first time that I purchased Runequest or Call of Cthulhu or any of the other games that used Mr. Stafford's roleplaying system. I started with Advanced Dungeons and Dragons in the late 1970s, but have enjoyed Basic Roleplaying (I even got to help playtest the latest edition!!!), Call of Cthulhu, Champions, Dragonquest, Elric, the Fantasy Trip, Gamma World,  Mercenaries, Spies, & Private Eyes, Top Secret, Stormbringer,Tunnels and Trolls, Villains and Vigilantes,  and many, many more.

I admire Chaosium and their products. Someday, I hope to publish my own games. Mr. Stafford's contribution to the hobby make that dream possible.

Thank you.

You have my condolences. Mr. Stafford will be missed...

• Like 1

Pendragon wasn't my first game, I reserve that spot for Hunters Hunted, but it was the first game that I actually desired to play, and I will never forget the day that my father walked in with the book in hands just because I mentioned it to him. His creativity in many ways shaped my way of playing and GMing, I have found memories of it and have mister Stafford to thanks for all that. Go in peace Sir, your job here is done.

• Like 1

OMG.

Waking up this morning to read this sad news.

Greg Stafford has been an influence in my life since my early teens, and I am now in my mid-forties.

As far as I am concerned, he is up there with Tolkien for me, having discovered their works about the same time.

I am yet just one more person whose life that has been enriched by Greg's creativity, wisdom, and humour.

RIP Greg Stafford, you are already missed 

• Like 4

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"