Greg Stafford Condolence Thread

MOB

This is shocking news. Greg was a giant in the industry and an amazing person. He has given us years of joy. He inspired and influenced an entire generation of game designers. And in addition to his work in the gaming industry, his contributions to Shaman's Drum deserve recognition from everyone interested in alternative spirituality.

My thoughts and condolences are with his family during this difficult time.

• Like 2

Dammit Greg... I still owe you a drink! 

I’ll miss your hugs, your smiles, your friendship, and planning the next trilobite event. Thanks for being you, and for making everyone welcome in your worlds.

When Neil Armstrong died, we were urged to look at the moon, think of him, and smile.

For you, Greg, whenever I am in sunlight I will think of you and smile.

Travel safely, wherever the path leads you.

• Like 2

I consider the years I spent treading the trails of Glorantha at the behest of Greg Stafford some of the finest creative experiences of my life. Greg was always (except for some times when he had to be THE BOSS) a great fellow creative and I am so very very sorry I let my back problems keep me from GenCon this year. Greg is two years younger than me, so he would obviously continue for years to come. Oh well...

Greg, I'm sorry, but we need to snag your spirit back to keep the flames burning.

• Like 15

Oh Great Shaman and Mystic of the Fantasy,

May our voices reach you wherever you are now,

You share us Glorantha and so many others discovery,

You open ours eyes on a new worlds of wonders,

For all these gifts and for everything you've done,

Thanks you and we will never forget you,

Thanks you Greg,

Aujourd'hui nous pleurons le départ d'un être chèr,

Pour que Demain sa Joie continue à vivre dans nos coeurs,

Que la paix soit avec celui qui peux désormais contemplez l'Invisible,

• Like 2

i had the pleasure to shake his hands in Leicester during a convention. I sincerely cant remember the year, but i will forever remember his eyegaze. 

Greg had a special talent to see into your soul. May he be where he desired, in the WalHalla of the story tellers

the world today has lost one great person. 

May all remember him through his creations, that are all things of beauty

Hi Greg, your admirer Tommaso

Edited by galafrone
  • Like 2

Such a loss.  But his creations will always live on and keep his memory strong.

I met Greg a few times at some Cons in the USA and was always too shy to do more than simply just give him a nod of the head and a smile.

I was on my own personal HQ in the UK to leave my wives ashes there and it overlapped the wonderful Con at Leicester that year, so I attended.  At one point I was sitting in a chair, kinda in a haze thinking what I was going to do later in the week, and in a bit of a funk.  Who sat down next to me?  Greg of course.  Almost as it seemed if he knew something was up.  And we just talked.  Not about Glorantha, not about Runequest, not about Heroquest, not about games in any way.  We just talked about life.  I treasure that conversation and how much it helped me.  I really do think he was a shaman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My heart froze for moment when I heard the news this afternoon. Deepest sympathies and condolences to his family and kin. Words fail--I owe him such a debt of gratitude for his imagination, inspiration and the games he shared with us.

Thanks for your creativity and your heart's magic, Greg; I wish I'd gotten the chance to tell you so in person.

Farewell and Godspeed!

• Like 2

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

Condolences to Mr. Stafford's family and friends, and to Chaosium. 

Greg's departure marks the passing of the finest of game designers and RPG innovators. It is a testament to his character that so many were inspired by him, and in some sense one of hiis great gifts to gaming is all those game designers whom he influenced. 

Equally, he had as much insight as Joseph Campbell or Sir James Frazer in areas of mythology, and was a storyteller on par with Eamon Kelly or Homer.

"... then fill it with remembered joy."

Farewell, to the King of Dragon Pass.

Edited by Bud
  • Like 2

Greg Stafford - creator of Glorantha, brilliant game designer, shaman and mystic, inspiration, mentor, and friend - died yesterday. The threads of my being are torn and tattered. His bequest of creativity helps me both grieve and reknit myself after the loss. Vale! 去世!

• Like 3

I only really met Greg once. Back when he would come to DunDraCon and do seminars and work the Chaosium table I would say hi and chat a briefly. But one time, the DDC when he was first releasing the first iteration of HeroQuest I was running an RQ 2 campaign. I met him in the hall after the talk and asked if I could ask him a quick question about a point in my game. He said sure, and we ended up in the hotel bar for over an hour talking about hero cults and apotheosis. I was floating for weeks after because he liked my campaign premise and he had told me, mechanically, what needed to happen. I'm going to miss him.

• Like 2

Thank you for helping open my eyes to what role-playing can be. I appreciate your contributions to the gaming world. 

May you find your illumination in the next world.

• Like 2

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest......Lord Dunsany

Responsible for: https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/

Terribly sad news; my heartfelt condolences to the Stafford family. Without Greg's work, my life would be so much poorer. Rest in peace, Greg, and thank you for the hours and hours of pleasure I have garnered from your creations. There is a hole at the heart of the hobby now.

• Like 2

My sincerest sympathies to his loved ones, family, friends, and colleagues. 

Greg Stafford has gone onto the next great adventure and left behind many gifts and inspirations, not just in role playing games but in life. And as long as those whose lives he touched, however briefly, carry on making the most of those gifts, his memory will live on and the inspiration will touch new lives. 

• Like 1

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

Your games helped me, taught me, enlightened me, brought me joy and provided a home for my dreams, all along my life. 'Thank you' sorely fails to convey my gratefulness toward the body of your work and inspiration. My deepest condolences to your family. Farewell Mr Stafford. May we meet someday, somewhere... Pierre, Titusville Florida.

• Like 1

Damn, he missed is Divine Intervention!

So long, Mr. Stafford, you will remain in our memory and Heart as the great discoverer of Glorantha and the brain behind Pendragon.

PS: Does anybody remember Prince Valiant RPG, that was a RPG UFO when it was first published?

Edited by Blancador
unfinished
  • Like 1

I had the honor to meet him a few times, and his smile could light the room -- and we're talking the Gen Con dealers' room here.

He was amazing. He showed us what RPGs could be and he made it look obvious and easy.

All of this feels inadequate. I feel like I should be attending a viking funeral or something equally absurdly overwrought. Something like this.

(Lyrics here.)

• Like 1