Change log for updated PDF's

Marc

All,

I will work with Jason to see if we can compose a "change log" for what has changed between the first printing of the rulebook and the second printing of the rulebook, which is currently at the printer. I cannot guarantee how detailed this "change log" will be. It may surprise some of you to know that we haven't had to do something like this in quite some time. I could try to be funny and quip "we are the chaosium, not the orderium", but I respect that the desire to know what has changed is real, and that the log would be useful. Unfortunately, I don't currently have any idea when we could get it done and make it available.

As for the size of the staff at Chaosium, we don't have as many full time people as you might think. The "full timers" involved with the RQ line are Jeff, Jason, and me. The rest are part timers and freelancers.

• Like 7

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Could we crowdsource the change log. What's most important is what's different between 1st printing and 2nd printing. Assuming the current PDF is the 2nd print master. If we all pick a chapter then it should be done in no time. Once we have the list all Chaosium need to do is spit and polish and release as a pdf. 

any takers?   

58 minutes ago, Psullie said:

Could we crowdsource the change log. What's most important is what's different between 1st printing and 2nd printing. Assuming the current PDF is the 2nd print master. If we all pick a chapter then it should be done in no time. Once we have the list all Chaosium need to do is spit and polish and release as a pdf. 

any takers?   

Here is an observation (Not directed at Psullie, but EVERYONE). 

Crowdsourcing seems to have caused some of the confusion, at least in reporting issues to Chaosium. Can we, as a community, keep things sufficiently structured to create such a document, keeping the creation of the Log separate from discovery of what we consider new inconsistencies or errors?

I ask this because so far, Chaosium has been very responsive, especially @Jason Durall. They were quiet for a period after the release, but THEY GENERALLY ARE. They have to be able to take a break and try to relax and decompress too. Now that they are back, we seem to have no issues loading up and firing back BOTH BARRELS, simultaneously. Just... Wrong.

SDLeary

• Like 2

I've done a bit of searching, and found a couple of options for comparing 2 pdf files. I'll give them a try, and see if I can generate some kind of change log. Not sure how it will work out, but worth a try.

I knew Chaosium was a small company, but I didn't realize how small. Frankly,given their manpower availability, I'd rather have them working on new supplements, and answering rules questions( thanks @Jason Durall!) than trying to come up with a change log after the fact.

I've given a try with the compare function from adobe acrobat pro : It just highlights changes and often finds modifications that didn't occured. I didn't found a way to export the result.

I've tried diffoscope on linux : I get a 300 Mo text file with, also, a lot of false changes detected. Maybe some parameters in the app have to be ajusted...

I finally think a good diff would be more easily done if working on an export in text format of the two native files

Below is what I found whilst comparing the first printing of RQG and the latest files sent to the printer, as of 10/17/2018.
NOTE: Not all of these changes are in the latest PDF you can currently download from Chaosium.com after purchase. We are updating the download file and will release a new version shortly.

Also, this is not a log of every change made to correct a simple typo, errant comma, capitalization, or similar. Those types of corrections have been made as we have found them or have had them reported. I am humble compiler of what has changed and decided what to include in this "change log". Please do not debate any of these revisions here. There are other threads for doing that, if you feel so inclined. This list will get reviewed, possibly tweaked for phrasing or consistency, and ultimately made available in a number of formats like a PDF, etc. When I looked at these 2 pages of changes I felt a twinge of nostalgia, fondly remembering the two page sheet of SECOND EDITION RUNEQUEST "Clarifications, Corrections, and Additions" that was included in many a box of RQ2 and widely distributed.

Page 44: Year 1625 Events table "11-17" result changed to "11-16".

Page 47: Info for Foundchild: Hunting God added. Death rune  Death  295  Harmony rune  Harmony.

Page 57: 2nd to last paragraph "bonus" is changed to "modifier".

Page 74: 2nd column Common Rune Magic first bullet Spells About the Cult has "Summon Cult Spirit" added, along with "Summon Cult Spirit 1-3 points" added after Spirit Block on Common Rune Magic SPELLS table.

Page 80: Vasana's Saga third bullet point has Farm 30% changed to 35%, and fifth bullet has Javelin 20% changed to 25%.

Page 83: Family Heirlooms table result 18 reworded to "An ingot of iron or other pure Rune metal weighing 1D3 ENC which can be forged into a weapon, piece of armor, or other object. An unenchanted iron item has half again the number of hit or armor points. Each point of ENC reduces the user's chance of casting magic spells by -5%, with the same chance that magic spells cast on them will have no effect. Enchanted items act as normal."

Page 89: Harmast Attacks Table updated so Javelin line of info is replaced with 2 Javelin weapons of "Javelin, One-handed  45  1D8+1D4  5  7" and "Javelin, Thrown  45  1D10  1  -".

Page 144: 1st column, 2nd bullet "but roll the same number" removed.

Page 164: Skill Descriptions topic second paragraph, "(Elder Race) Lore or (Homeland) Lore" replaced with "Elder Race Lore (Type) or Homeland Lore (Area)". Later is same paragraph "(Elder Race) Lore" is replaced with "Elder Race Lore (Type)".

Page 183: first column last paragraph "visible spirits" changed to "invisible spirits".

Page 198: Special Parries topic, first bullet added ", with no armor protection." at the end. Second bullet removed ", with no armor protection." from the end. 

Page 206: 1st column, Critical Hit topic, last sentence of first paragraph changed to "A critical hit ignores the effects of armor or any other protection, and usually does maximum impaling, slashing, or crushing damage (depending on weapon type), as described above."

Page 206: 2nd column, Example second paragraph, replaced last three sentences with "The damage is maximum damage plus rolled damage for an impaling attack, with the rolled damage modifier added. In this case, the roll is an exceptionally good one, with the result of 7 (max of 1D6+1), 4 (1D6+1) and 4 (1D4). The broo's attack does 15  points of total damage." In the next paragraph both instances of "17" are replaced with "15".

Page 215: Armor Table, Cuirass Leather armor for the Chest has its ENC changed from 0 to 1. Hauberk Leather for Abdomen & Chest has its ENC changed from 0 to (2). Skirts Leather for Abdomen has its ENC changed from 0 to (2). Pants/Trews Leather for Abdomen & Legs has its ENC changed from 0 to (2). Greaves Leather for Legs has its ENC changed from 0 to (2).

Page 224: Two Weapon Use topic, first bullet changed to "...may use them for two attacks or attacking with one and parrying with the other, as desired."

Page 254: 2nd column, Spell Strike Rank topic, first paragraph, first sentence changed from "...magic points of the spell, plus any boosting magic points." to ...magic points of the spell (minus the first), plus any boosting magic points." Formula for at end of page changed to "DEX STRIKE RANK + ADDITIONAL MAGIC POINTS OF SPELL..."

Page 262: Fireblade spell, added sentence at the end of second paragraph "Though it is an active spell, the caster can still move and attack normally."

Page 267: Vigor spell, first sentence changed to "This spell adds 3 points to the CON of the target."

Page 275: Common Rune Magic boxed text, first bullet changed to "...Divination, Sanctify, and Summon Cult Spirit."

Page 277: Further Training and Experience topic, 2nd paragraph, last paragraph changed to "...occupational skills (see Experience Between Adventures, page 416)."

Page 281: Improved resistance to Magic topic, first sentence replaced with "A Rune Lord always resists magic with their species maximum POW and not their current POW."

Page 283: Cult Rune Spell use boxed text, Example, second sentence changed to "She has gained the Summon Air Elemental special Rune spell directly from Orlanth." third sentence changed to "...from that subcult, and gained Increase/Decrease Wind as a member of the Orlanth Thunderous subcult."

Page 318: Alter Creature spell, third paragraph, first sentence changed to "A beast that becomes a human gains 2D6+6 INT and 3D6 CHA."

Page 319: Bear's Strength spell, last sentence changed to "...Rune Masters of Odayla or an associated cult."

Page 327: Earth Power spell, first paragraph, second sentence changed to "... enables them to draw either 1 point of POW or 1D8 magic points...". 2nd to last sentence changed to "...the Earthpower spell returns an additional 1 POW or 1D8 magic points. The POW disappears at the end of the spell's duration. Any magic points in excess..."

Page 333: Lock Spell, Second sentence changed to "... magic points used in the spell multiplied by 10."

Page 346: Suppress Lodril spell, “Summon Shadow” changed to “Create Shadow”. 

Page 346: Swallow Spell changed from “Instant” to “Instant/Temporal”. Last sentence changed to “…items are recoverable and their condition once they have been swallowed.”

Page 357: Discorporation topic, 2ndparagraph, delete the sentence “Every additional magic point spent during the ritual increases the time that the shaman can remain discorporate by one hour.” 

Page 374: Regions of the Spirit World topic, last paragraph rewritten/replaced with “Moving deeper into the Spirit World imposes a modifier to Spirit Travel. Each step away from the Inner Region reduces the shaman’s Spirit Travel skill by -10% per step. Returning has the opposite modifier. It is always easier to return in the direction of the Inner World.”

Page 385: Limits to Manipulating Intensity topic, Example paragraph last two sentences changed to “He has an INT of 17, 3 points of spirit magic, and 8 points of sorcery already known. As a result he can add up to 6 levels of intensity, divided amongst strength, range, and duration.”

Page 386: Spell Cost topic, second Example changed to “Damastol also knows the Logical Clarity spell (Truth + Dispel) at 42%. He knows the Truth rune, but because he only knows Dispel as an insight of Summons, it costs him 3 magic points to cast, plus 2 magic points for each additional level of intensity.”

Page 415: Making an Experience Roll topic, third paragraph, second sentence modified to “A modified roll of 100 or more is always a success…”

Page 420: CHA Increase and Decrease topic, second bullet point changed to “Becoming a Rune Master, or shaman in the course of play or…” (reference to God-talker deleted)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 11

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

13 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Page 374: Regions of the Spirit World topic, last paragraph rewritten/replaced with “Moving deeper into the Spirit World imposes a modifier to Spirit Travel. Each step away from the Inner Region reduces the shaman’s Spirit Travel skill by -10% per step. Returning has the opposite modifier. It is always easier to return in the direction of the Inner World.”

This change has had an unfortunate layout knock-on effect, which should be easily fixable. On page 377, the first line "Spirit places are relatively rare. Some famous examples include:" has been pushed back by two pages, separating it from the actual list of places. Can this line be bumped from page 375 back onto page 377?

4 hours ago, Kramsu said:

Is there any way to know when there is updated pdf available and what version current my pdf is?

In Acrobat Reader, pressing Ctrl-D will show document properties including the modified date. The current PDFs were last modified somewhere around 10th-20th September, from memory.

28 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

In Acrobat Reader, pressing Ctrl-D will show document properties including the modified date. The current PDFs were last modified somewhere around 10th-20th September, from memory.

Thanks, looks like i have some updating to do.

16 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

We'll have a new PDF of the RQG rulebook onto chaosium.com and DTRPG fairly soon.

Will we get information when the new rulebooks are available to download? Like in the newsletter or perhaps email to everyone who’s bought the book?

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

All the changes I mentioned, plus a few other small ones not listed, like for typos.

Cool, thanks! It might also be useful to have a PDF of the changes that we could print out and insert in the physical book for reference (not the typos, but the clarifications, etc.).

• Like 1