Gloranthan 'Adventure Paths'

JavaApp

So I am still going back and forth about the RQG campaign I want to run, whether it should be in a new area with all the material coming from me, or one of the Chaosium/Moon Design campaigns. So our first session is Friday, so I guess I had better figure this out, huh?

I was going over my choices, and I put this list together to help figure out what to do. 

1612 - 1613: Apple Lane, Snakepipe Hollow, The Haunted Ruins, improvised material based on Wyrm's Footnotes campaign notes for Sartar and King of Sartar

1613 - 1616: Big Rubble, Pavis, Borderlands, Sun County, River of Cradles, Shadows on the Borderland, Strangers in Prax

1612+: Griffin Mountain.

1615?: Dorastor, Lords of Terror

1621 - 1625: Barbarian Adventures, Orlanth is Dead, Gathering Thunder improvised material based on Wyrm's Footnotes campaign notes for Sartar and King of Sartar.

1618 - 1621: Sartar: Kingdom of Adventure, Sartar Companion, Pavis: Gateway to Adventure improvised material based on Wyrm's Footnotes campaign notes for Sartar and King of Sartar.

1618 - 1625: The Coming Storm, The Eleven Lights - (I don't think I have either of these, or only in pdf if I do). 

1625+: The Broken Tower, Defending Apple Lane, Cattle Raid, The Dragon of Thunder Hills.

I think those are the major scenario 'tracks', or Adventure Paths, as our Pathfinder friends call them. :) There is also Runequest Adventures, which I don't have access to all of, and the Unspoken Word campaigns, which I do have, which are Tarsh in Flames, In Wintertop's Shadow, The Thieves Arm, and Sons of Kargzant. There is enough material for a Far Point campaign, from different sources like The Zin Letters #3 and the John Hughes internet material, and of course an Uz Trollpack based campaign. Oh, yeah, Blood Over Gold, and Men of the Sea

Am I forgetting anything? Have any of these been Gregged/Jeffed/retconned? Should I just go with the latest material and start playing already?

Edited by JavaApp
clarification
  • Like 3

"It is not reasonable to assume Aristotle knew the Number of the Elect..." - Albertus Magnus

There were a few Hero Wars scenarios in the rules, like Chasing Kites, which are also set roughly in the 1619-1621 bracket. If you are using magazine scenarios, too, Tradetalk had a few RQ scenarios, including a weird one involving Dinacoli cattle raiders and dragonewts. Tales had some, too.

The Manirian campaign Blood Over Gold is a bit too renaissance and churchy to fit in with the current interpretation of Glorantha, but I have seen it used without any jarring problems.

The reminiscences of Paulis Longvale in Cults/Lords of Terror are starting around 1621 and continue into the initial phase of the RQG period.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

Why do you even care?

Because I'm a fanboy?

Honestly, when I ran the Great Pendragon Campaign, I tried to keep to the timeline as much as I could. Sometimes, when events started to get too tight, I would drop scenarios in favor of improvised content. One of the criteria I used was whether Greg had written it or not, and whether or not it appeared on the internet instead of an official publication, and whether or not it had been retconned in some manner, like some of the background tables in Beaumains, for example, which were supplanted by later work.

In the three times I have run the first three phases or so of the GPC, I didn't even use the scenario that I wrote for the GPC. 

So, yeah, I do rank some content over other pieces. That's not exclusively due to 'canonicity'. If I was running a Far Point campaign, I would definitely use the Zin Letters issue, even if there are discrepancies (I am not certain there are as many clans in the three tribes as is portrayed in the articles, for example) simply because I thought it was interesting material that had some utility for me. 

And Phil, if it is OK for all of us to ignore the very idea of the canon for our own campaigns, then surely it is equally OK for us to pay attention to it, if we wish to?

"It is not reasonable to assume Aristotle knew the Number of the Elect..." - Albertus Magnus

6 minutes ago, JavaApp said:

And Phil, if it is OK for all of us to ignore the very idea of the canon for our own campaigns, then surely it is equally OK for us to pay attention to it, if we wish to?

Oh, absolutely. I apologize if there were any unintended implications in the question.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhilHibbs said:

Oh, absolutely. I apologize if there were any unintended implications in the question.

No problem. I couldn't quite make out the tone, so I got a little too defensive. 

13 hours ago, JavaApp said:

Am I forgetting anything? Have any of these been Gregged/Jeffed/retconned? Should I just go with the latest material and start playing already?

Have a look at http://www.soltakss.com/super1.html, which was my attempt at the same thing.

• Like 4

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Well, there are more modules, such as Dara Happa Stirs which is well-regarded..  You might consider trying to get a complete module list - someone probably has one - and see if any other campaign ideas fall out.

Also Hearts in Glorantha and Gloranthan Adventures.  Not sure if there's anything long-form in there.

• Like 2

What really happened?  The only way to discover that is to experience it yourself.

12 hours ago, Roko Joko said:

Well, there are more modules, such as Dara Happa Stirs which is well-regarded...

Also Hearts in Glorantha and Gloranthan Adventures.  Not sure if there's anything long-form in there.

Well, Darra Happa Stirs is 2nd Age, and while not a complete deal breaker, is not on my radar. HiG and GA are excellent ideas though. 

I started my most recent campaign in 1555.  This has proven to be a surprisingly good choice.

• The very dawn of the Hero Wars age just allows a lot of game time for the characters to develop in different ways.  Without the omni-present Lunar occupation of most campaigns rushing things, and a generally lower power level of the pre-Hero Wars time, the players have a ton of options left wide open.
  • Similarly, if you want to showcase the Telmori or Dwarves, or Golden Horse People as the main antagonists, this is an easy period to do so.
  • There is natural tension between the "business as usual" and the "The Lunars are a coming threat" Orlanthi that drives role playing options, especially if the players must work against existing feuds to combat a future problem.
  • You get to see more day to day life in Sartar/Dragon Pass, much like the King of Dragon Pass computer game.
  • Phargentes is like a Tarshite Darth Vader.  Fanatic Lunar, expansionist, kills enemy Kings left and right (including two from Sartar!), nearly unstoppable physically by the unprepared Orlanthi.  He is an excellent villain, and easy to present as someone who can be foiled, but not killed.
  • The whole Elmal worshipers convert to Yelmalio happens in this time frame.  Having my players encounter this situation in progress really was something new and unexpected for them.  One player was an Elmal worshipper for added bonus.  In the Hill of Gold Heroquest he wound up on "team Sunshine" with a bunch of Yelmalians.  Good times (for the GM).
  • You retain, with few modifications, a lot of classic settings.  Prax is still Prax.  Pavis has just opened up -- so significant post apocalypse type potential there.  Snakepipe Hollow is the same pit it ever was, and so on. 
  • Enough time is allowed to have generational play, as in Pendragon.

Dissolv

• Like 1

My current plan - starting next year - is to run a campaign set around 1450-70 in Dragon Pass. This is an interesting time (Sartar and many other heroes are out and about). It's a pity that Pavis is still closed and Thieves' Town doesn't yet exist, but maybe I'll massage that date for my purposes.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:08 AM, JavaApp said:

1613 - 1616: Big Rubble, Pavis, Borderlands, Sun County, River of Cradles, Shadows on the Borderland, Strangers in Prax

Runs from 1615 (Borderlands) to 1621 (The Cradle).  And Pavis: Gateway to Adventure falls into that timeframe/group as well.

Am I forgetting anything? Have any of these been Gregged/Jeffed/retconned?

You're good with most of those except Blood over Gold, and perhaps the Unspoken Word material which was effectively fanzine (though still a lot of interesting and usable content).

If it's in the Guide, which is 1621, you're playing with canon.

Should I just go with the latest material and start playing already?

That's what I'm doing.  I started with the Broken Tower and then branched into my own Dragon Pass/Colymar campaign.  Might interweave some of the new GM Adventures at some point, but mostly new.

20 hours ago, jajagappa said:

That's what I'm doing.  I started with the Broken Tower and then branched into my own Dragon Pass/Colymar campaign.  Might interweave some of the new GM Adventures at some point, but mostly new.

That's what I have decided to do as well. Thanks, everybody.

• Like 1