Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MOB

Call of Cthulhu the Video Game is now out in general release

Recommended Posts

Finished the game! :)
Took about 3 days.. The atmosphere of madness and mystery was quite well done! :)
My character ended up in the Asylum! :(
But that's OK, I watched a great old on in the flesh... and I am alive to tell the tale! 😮 

And kids, don't eat whale, you never know, seriously! 😮  😛 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry MOB but why would we want to buy this video game? NOT ONE of the reviews you posted says it is a role playing game, or that is provides a simulated CoC tabletop gaming experience. They merely state it was "inspired" by CoC from Chaosium. It appears to be nothing more than an adventure game, and there are many CoC adventure games already on the market which provide an interesting distraction, but are not meaningful, and have no replay value. The industry does not need another title like that. Please find a video game partner who is committed to making an actual Chaosium style CoC full role-playing experience. That's what your fans want to buy. I will pay $100+ for such a title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Thelebk said:

NOT ONE of the reviews you posted says it is a role playing game, or that is provides a simulated CoC tabletop gaming experience

That's because it doesn't -- and I'm not sure that many video games provide what you say. That game is an adventure game with some RPG elements. There are many of them, but not too many in the horror genre, and even less in the Lovecraftian horror genre. I'll definitely buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Thelebk said:

I'm sorry MOB but why would we want to buy this video game? NOT ONE of the reviews you posted says it is a role playing game, or that is provides a simulated CoC tabletop gaming experience. They merely state it was "inspired" by CoC from Chaosium. It appears to be nothing more than an adventure game, and there are many CoC adventure games already on the market which provide an interesting distraction, but are not meaningful, and have no replay value. The industry does not need another title like that. Please find a video game partner who is committed to making an actual Chaosium style CoC full role-playing experience. That's what your fans want to buy. I will pay $100+ for such a title.

At some point you're going to need to understand that not every gamer has the same tastes as you, and not every product is marketed to you.  Joining a board just to complain that a product isn't targeted at you isn't going to get you what you want.

That said, Call of Cthulhu is not a stat-driven role-playing game. It is an atmosphere-driven role-playing game. Having played both the topic game, and the role-playing game for many years now, the game definitely captures the feel of the Call of Cthulhu role-playing game. Opinions will vary. Opinions varying doesn't inherently compel specific development and marketing choices. If you want to affect change, you get involved. 

Edited by klecser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I certainly don't expect every gamer to want the same experience that I do. I have played table top RPG games for 30+ years and have even written some product. Many folks these days do not have such a background, and are looking for a faster gaming experience. Many people love adventure games, and don't want to take the time to digest all the nuances of a full RPG. That said, it remains true:

1) While there are many CoC adventure style games, there are virtually no CoC RPGs. This is an untapped market.

2) the Horror genre is not incompatible with a full RPG. Good Times Interactive's adaptation of White Wolf's Vampire the Masquerade (Bloodlines and soon Bloodlines 2) is a good example of this.

3) Full RPG games like Dragon Age Inquisition are immensely profitable, more immersive, and offer far more replay value than a simple adventure title.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2018 at 1:34 PM, Pentallion said:

My other nit to pick was a bit more substantial.  The game had many strategies you needed to employ at different times throughout the adventure and sometimes knowing when to abandon the usual strategy for another was critical to finishing a task.  But there were a couple of times where there was no strategy and you simply had to memorize a set pattern of moves to get through that section.   Both of those times, you felt like you were playing "Dragons Lair" that old video game that sucked up quarters from the early 80's.  I would suggest the game designers avoid that like the plague next time as those were definitely contributed to game fatigue.

Unfortunately the above is typical of adventure games-- and why I had really hoped this would be a role-playing game instead. Oh well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thelebk said:

Unfortunately the above is typical of adventure games-- and why I had really hoped this would be a role-playing game instead. Oh well.

Don't let that drive you away from this game.  It's an excellent game and that part happened only at the end as the studio demanded they rush out the product too soon.  It's the only flaw in what was otherwise a work of art.

Play it.  You'll love the story.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...