Mongoose Stats

Manu

17 hours ago, jeffjerwin said:

Mythically, how do mongoose cultists deal with the serpentine associations of the Earth cults?

Not all of Orlanth's kin were/are entirely friendly with his wife...  This would obviously be among the more-unfriendly.    :-/

C'es ne pas un .sig

Not relevant here, but Yinkin himself is a foe of the Serpent Brotherhood shamans and their spirits.

A mungo or meercat wouldn't provide the near-panther companions the largest of alynxes can provide, and would be bad at driving herds of sheep or cattle, but they make excellent lookouts, and can probably ride the sheep.

Their diet includes all kinds of venomous beasts, like scorpions, and other hand-sized arthropods.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 2 weeks later...

The use of the mongoose as a stand-in for Yinkin in Pamaltela is interesting to say the least.  It is strange indeed to find a creature that can call the hyena and the civet cat relatives.  I would have put them closer to weasels and stoats from the look of them, but they have no relation, merely fitting the same look due to filling a similar ecological niche.  Have we discovered the infamous "dog like a cat" from the Bad Dog Brothers?  Probably not, but... weird...

One possible / likely variation from the Shadowcat tropes -- one I'd embrace if I took this route -- is that many times, mongooses will operate as a large-ish group, rather than individuals (this mostly, though not totally, follows per-species of mongoose).  20-30 of the little beasts might do just as much damage -- or more! -- as one 25kg Alynx.

C'es ne pas un .sig

I think I have said it before, but in my Glorantha, Orlanth is NEVER associated with the mongoose. In fact, in my Glorantha, there are no mongooses at all (except possibly as a disastrously stupid but fortunately short-lived God Learner experiment). 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Jeff said:

I think I have said it before, but in my Glorantha, Orlanth is NEVER associated with the mongoose. In fact, in my Glorantha, there are no mongooses at all (except possibly as a disastrously stupid but fortunately short-lived God Learner experiment). 

LOL! That must be the other God Learner's Secret!

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I had expected some negative reaction to the term "mongoose" in Gloranthan context, which is why I suggested mungo or meerkat originally. I wonder what is so wrong about a Gloranthan Rikki Tikki Tavi...

Telling how it is excessive verbis

18 hours ago, Joerg said:

I had expected some negative reaction to the term "mongoose" in Gloranthan context, which is why I suggested mungo or meerkat originally. I wonder what is so wrong about a Gloranthan Rikki Tikki Tavi...

Hint: Nothing, unless they get into publishing.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.