Free Download: New Character Path for Odd Soot

clarence

'Sometimes, a random confluence of genes comes together to produce a child who is simultaneously gifted and cursed. Gifted, because their minds or bodies are capable of surpassing normal human capabilities; and cursed, in that their very oddness sets them apart from the run of normal humanity.'

I have worked with Alex Greene, writer for Mongoose Traveller among other things, to create a new character path for Odd Soot. It’s called Oddities and Alex has crafted a unique concept to generate truly odd individuals, fitting right into Odd Soot. They possess fantastic abilities - but also weird looks that other people might shy away from. 

392725020_odditiescover2.jpg.9217707e76d455e330c243b6ab5e7c3b.jpg

The character path can be used for PCs and NPCs alike. Patrons, villains and heroes work equally well for these quirky individuals. 

Oddities is based on the book Odd John by British sci-fi writer Olaf Stapledon. His work is often mentioned as direct inspiration for many modern authors, like Arthur C Clarke, Stanislaw Lem and Vernor Vinge. 

Oddities is a 15 page PDF and consists of generators for superlative traits, disproportions, alienating passions and several inventions. 

We’re offering it as a free download:

https://mailchi.mp/77eafcc60dbd/oddities_download

Clarence Redd

• Like 3

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

That' a pretty cool supplement, Clarence.  I'm having a little trouble grokking the interplay of being an Oddity and Strangeness and CHA, though.  After reading the introductory text, I find it a bit odd (there's that word again...) that one of these Oddity folks could have a high CHA score.  Could you please explicate that?

Oh, and I was a bit confused about the difference between "Eidetic Memory" and "Photographic Memory".  I mean, I see that game-mechanically they are different, fine, but I think many of us might use those terms pretty much interchangeably.  Whatever.

Edited by Matt_E
  • Like 1

Our latest Horror Fantasy adventure has arrived.  Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!

Thanks Matt! I’m happy you like it. Regarding the high CHA, they may look weird but they have a certain aura - perhaps stemming from their superlative traits - that makes them strangely appealing (building on the idea that CHA goes much deeper than mere looks). In real life, Stephen Hawking comes to mind. 

I see your point on Eidetic Memory and Photographic Memory. To me, it’s just a way to discern between two similar Superlative Traits. Alex might have a further explanation though. 

• Like 1

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

I stumbled over a fascinating real-world Oddity today. Wired magazine interviews the brilliant neurologist Karl Friston - often mentioned as a future Nobel Prize winner - about his recent work. He might not have the strange looks of an Oddity but otherwise seems like a good fit. 

https://www.wired.com/story/karl-friston-free-energy-principle-artificial-intelligence

• 1 year later...