Rune Priest Requirements

Mechashef

Am I missing something or are the requirements to become a Rune Priest rather trivial now?

In particular the requirement for the Loyalty (Temple) or Devotion (Deity) Passion to be at a minimum of 50% is laughable as passions typically start at 60%

The Cult Rune of 90% seems trivial as it is easy for starting characters to typically achieve that.

Most starting characters will already have a good start on the required 5 RPs

The Worship (Deity) and the other 4 skills shouldn't be too hard as they only require 50%.

The hardest part is probably POW of 18, convincing the examiners and finding a vacancy.

(And personally I'm not sure if someone with only 50% for their worship skill and Loyalty or Devotion is the calibre of priest I'd want leading my congregation.  They seem to be rather amateurish).

Or have I missed something?

Thanks

23 minutes ago, Mechashef said:

The hardest part is probably [...], convincing the examiners and finding a vacancy.

I feel you've answered your own question. The list of requirements is a minimum, the phrases "at least" and "or higher" are prominent. You are given two alternatives for the test and I'd opt for the roleplaying one every time. Your comments of

26 minutes ago, Mechashef said:

(And personally I'm not sure if someone with only 50% for their worship skill and Loyalty or Devotion is the calibre of priest I'd want leading my congregation.  They seem to be rather amateurish).

seems to sum up your interview with a minimal candidate. Clearly they'd need to prove themselves more, and should be a god talker if possible. Personally I see most cults having very experienced god talkers, waiting to move into a vacant position. You'd want to fill a vacant post with the best candidate, the one who had done the best and had the most experience. Also note that some cults have additional requirements which set the bar higher.

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Something to consider. As a POW 16 character, I failed every single POW Gain roll aside from one (Which I then rolled for and got 0), and failed Sacred Time's as well [All at 25% chances basically, and a 20% once it goes to 17]. Playing every other week for us means getting to 18 POW is slow, and i'm not even the one going for Rune Priest in the group.

Certain cults as others have said can make it especially difficult, with a good example being Lhankor Mhy. Three skills at 90% is a bit tougher, as well as two of those being knowledge skills, which can only be trained higher. Experience rolls between adventures by RAW do not allow increases for those Lore skills, so you must spend all your time training those Lore Skills (and potentially a lot of favors or Lunars) to get them high enough. I pity the person who has to spend 30+ weekly sessions training their lores to become a rune priest, and feel bad for one of our players who's doing so in our biweekly sessions as a Lhankor Mhy initiate.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 10:42 AM, Mechashef said:

Am I missing something or are the requirements to become a Rune Priest rather trivial now?

In particular the requirement for the Loyalty (Temple) or Devotion (Deity) Passion to be at a minimum of 50% is laughable as passions typically start at 60%

The Cult Rune of 90% seems trivial as it is easy for starting characters to typically achieve that.

Most starting characters will already have a good start on the required 5 RPs

The Worship (Deity) and the other 4 skills shouldn't be too hard as they only require 50%.

The hardest part is probably POW of 18, convincing the examiners and finding a vacancy.

Or have I missed something?

Thanks

id tend to agree maybe an area where the rules need a little polish.