Horses, birds, and cattle

Jeff

6 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Oh, I though Greg dieced that it didn't belong there, hence the whole Island thing. Glad it's back. 

It's the other way round. Griffin Mountain was originally written as a non-Gloranthan thing. Greg liked it so much that he added it in to Glorantha. Then, as has been said, it went backwards again with Griffin Island in RQ3.

On 11/19/2018 at 2:49 PM, Sir_Godspeed said:

Secondly, the gazzam/dinos. My last reading seemed to imply that these are cousin-species of the Dragonewts/dragons. Is there a connection between Celestial Beasts (birds, horses, etc.) with "Draconic Beasts" (dinosaurs... reptiles in general?). I mean, Hykim itself is identified with Korgatsu, the Cosmic Dragon and creator of the Beast Rune. And they all lay hard-shelled eggs, for what it's worth.

Some dinosaurs are the children of Maran Gor, other, individual ones, are Dragonewts gone wrong.

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 11/20/2018 at 4:03 AM, Jeff said:

Horses are born the normal way. I'm not sure Griffins and Hippogriffs are born from eggs either (although Griffin Mountain might clear that up regarding griffins)!

How are the mighty fallen! Poor King Hippogriff, apparently his people also stopped laying eggs and started live births.  How un-spiritual.  How impure.  To lose the mighty egg and be forced into messy mammal birthing like a common Hsunchen.  Well, as they lost their wings, feather, beaks and claws, I suppose their cloacas went too.   You have to wonder which mean deity did that though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darius West said:

How are the mighty fallen! Poor King Hippogriff, apparently his people also stopped laying eggs and started live births.  How un-spiritual.  How impure.  To lose the mighty egg and be forced into messy mammal birthing like a common Hsunchen.  Well, as they lost their wings, feather, beaks and claws, I suppose their cloacas went too.   You have to wonder which mean deity did that though.

The celestial lion, clawed, beaked and winged, and his bastard child which went hoofed rather than clawed on the hind legs. Griffins have life births, and never had anything else. Hippogriffs may have inherited eggs from their (unknown) mother.

But then (according to the Godlearners) all animals have draconic ancestors, and dragons are known for laying eggs. I see a possibility that the egg-laying of the birds in the closer and farther sense may have been an inherited trait from dragonhood abandoned only by the majority of the mammals and select other species inside other groups.

The common theme of celestial entities are feathers, not eggs. The feathered serpent incarnation of Veskarthan (the missile of his atlatl, of course some kind of spear) may be almost draconic, but the imperial Golden Dragon that inserted itself into the Dara Happan dynasties did not appear feathered in any way, as far as I can recall descriptions. It was just an accelerated human-born mystic, of course, and not a True Dragon, only the next best thing, a Great Dragon.

Fur or scales may appear as a secondary feature without de-celestifying the entity. Beaks are very celestial, which (in addition to downy integument) may have made the Dara Happan gazzam celestial beasts, but most Luxites appear in winged Man Rune shape rather than as beaked Tengu or similar creatures. The humanoid griffin is another angelic form, as are various other four-limbed-plus-winged creatures.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

The common theme of celestial entities are feathers, not eggs

I was considering whether we were to assume that Luxites and Celestial Deities, as well as the original inhabitants of the Decapolis lay eggs. O:o

Nysalor was hatched from an egg though, interestingly enough.

Now I'm wondering whether we should imagine Murharzam with a downy head of feathers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1